Devastator squad or two 5-man (firstborn) Crusader squads?

Helias_Tancred

Greetings brothers.

Situation. I was planning on making a Devastator Squad with lascannons to further supplement my crusade's anti-tank capability. I can make 10 first born marines for it, some with bits from the old upgrade kit which is awesome imo. However ... due to a possible bad eBay seller I may not be getting those lascannons? :furious:

Now before I go any further here is my current anti-tank capability in my crusade: Predator Annilhilator, Repulsor with /lascannon options, Ballistus Dreadnought, Godhammer-pattern Land Raider, and a 6 man Eradicator squad. 

So I started thinking of the popularity of the 5-man firstborn Crusade squads. For that sort of role I currently have two 5-man intercessor squads, one 10-man primaris crusade squad, and one 20-man primaris crusade squad. But I could use two cheap 65 point 5 man squads with a heavy weapon, and a special weapon! What combo of heavy + special should I consider? .... or should I stick to my original plan and do one Devastator squad that can be 5 man or a 10 man version?

Looking for analysis, feedback, thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

While I do like the Las Dev squad from a points-efficiency perspective, I feel you probably have adequate anti-tank for 2000-ish points.

If you want to run the 5-man Crusade squad, I think the choice of heavy weapons depends on how you plan to use them. If you are looking for a backfield Objective camping unit then Lascannon and Plasma Gun is probably optimal. If you want to get in close then Grav Cannon, Grav Gun and a Grav pistol on the Sergeant can packing a surprising amount of punch for 65 points.

8 hours ago, Karhedron said:

While I do like the Las Dev squad from a points-efficiency perspective, I feel you probably have adequate anti-tank for 2000-ish points.

If you want to run the 5-man Crusade squad, I think the choice of heavy weapons depends on how you plan to use them. If you are looking for a backfield Objective camping unit then Lascannon and Plasma Gun is probably optimal. If you want to get in close then Grav Cannon, Grav Gun and a Grav pistol on the Sergeant can packing a surprising amount of punch for 65 points.

Thank you for that! It has me thinking. 

Maybe one 5 man squad with as you suggested a lascannon and a plasma gun, then the other with the grav loadouts? I kinda like having that flexibility between two super cheap 5 man firstborn crusade squads. 

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

Yeah that is basically what I did outside of some heavy weapons I picked up from eBay (lascannons and a grav cannon). Even though I've sold off a ton of my 40k stuff over the last couple months, I still had firstborn marines built and unused or still on the sprue for these two squads + the parts needed for the lascannon dev squad.  So as it stands now I can field each 5 man Crusader squad AND the lascannon Dev squad too.

The lascannon purchase did eventually come through, a month and a few days later lmao.