Highlight for Black Inquiry

Hello everyone!

Working on a customer chapter that I designed years ago. The scheme uses yellow and black. I found the recipe I want to use for the yellow, and I think I found the recipe for black. But I'm not sure the highlight in blue will work with the yellow. Yellow. Can you folks take a look below and advise me on which highlight color I should use for the black so it meshes with the bright yellow? Thank you!

image.png.d7e0bd647c8d93a5ebeba3436e836c3d.png

I am also wondering if I would be able to paint the black in a similar way as the yellow was painted. I really like pre-edge highlighting.

I was thinking maybe this could work..

Prime White (I need to do this for the yellow)

Base: Dark Reaper

Edge Highlight: Bold Titanium White

Glaze: Black Legion (Contrast + Tech Contrast Medium to thin to a glaze)

Fine Edge Highlight: Bold Titanium White

Glaze: Black Legion (Contrast + Tech Contrast Medium to thin to a glaze)

I am not 100% on the coverage of Black Legion over white edge highlights and over Dark Reaper base. I'm not 100% Dark Reaper is the correct base coat either. Anyone have any experience with this? I do like the black recipe by the same reference listed below, but they are edging in blue and I'm not sure that will work with the bright yellow in a quartered color scheme. I have attached a screenshot to the post.

Thank you everyone for your opinions!

References:

Yellow Recipe

image.png

Have you considered edge highlighting the black with grey rather than blue?

Working from Abbadon Black > Eshin Grey > Dawnstone > Administratum Grey for quite a cold tone, or from Abbadon Black > Skavenblight Dinge > Stormvermin Fur for a warmer/dirtier/greasier effect.

I generally do my Space Marine soft seals as Black Templar over Administratum Grey, the grey ridges show through quite well.

Brother Epoch, what a great question.  I did 2 mock-ups for you:

Slide1.JPG.4beca19d04d2b136cd58cf5c7887c877.JPG

Preserving the slight blue edge highlights, quartered with the yellow

Slide2.JPG.b3d74a4fe84854fedeaf44cf509a41da.JPG

Now the edge highlights are in a more neutral grey

On a totally black Marine, like an Iron Hands, that blue edge highlights looked great to me.  I was leaning towards that direction.

However, when put against the yellow, it was TOO striking.  It was like colour theory, that colour wheel and wotnot.  Almost cartoony.

What I'm thinking now, comparing these quartered: the neutral grey highlights DO look better like this, BUT...I'd love to see this with plasma weapons.  Like HQ units with a plasma pistol or a unit of Hellblasters, the plasma blue would really pop, make it look almost dynamic against the yellow..

Your painting looks great btw.  Not a great mock-up here, was a quick thing I did, but I think it's pretty useful to see what it could look like.

2 hours ago, N1SB said:

Brother Epoch, what a great question.  I did 2 mock-ups for you:

Preserving the slight blue edge highlights, quartered with the yellow

Now the edge highlights are in a more neutral grey

On a totally black Marine, like an Iron Hands, that blue edge highlights looked great to me.  I was leaning towards that direction.

However, when put against the yellow, it was TOO striking.  It was like colour theory, that colour wheel and wotnot.  Almost cartoony.

What I'm thinking now, comparing these quartered: the neutral grey highlights DO look better like this, BUT...I'd love to see this with plasma weapons.  Like HQ units with a plasma pistol or a unit of Hellblasters, the plasma blue would really pop, make it look almost dynamic against the yellow..

Your painting looks great btw.  Not a great mock-up here, was a quick thing I did, but I think it's pretty useful to see what it could look like.

Great mock-ups! Thank you so much! I think I do like the neutral grey a lot better. the blue edge highlighting does just look a little odd. Also, this is not my painting, though I hope mine does turn out like this. It is from the referenced video on the YouTube channel I linked at the bottom of my initial post. 

19 hours ago, Sky Potato said:

Have you considered edge highlighting the black with grey rather than blue?

Working from Abbadon Black > Eshin Grey > Dawnstone > Administratum Grey for quite a cold tone, or from Abbadon Black > Skavenblight Dinge > Stormvermin Fur for a warmer/dirtier/greasier effect.

I generally do my Space Marine soft seals as Black Templar over Administratum Grey, the grey ridges show through quite well.

I was thinking about that as well. I was also wondering if the same painting approach that I will use with the yellow could be used for the black. With glazes over the Bold Titanium White. I will give it a try and post some results when I can. I might be able to get the black for a week or two though.

9 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

As @Sky Potato says, I'd go with a neutral grey, like the old-school Codex Grey & Fortress Grey (I think Administratum Grey and Dawnstone are the modern equivalents).

Yeah, I think the neutral grey is the better option as well. 

4 hours ago, TheArtilleryman said:

I do chaos black > eshin grey > dawnstone, and then ulthuan grey if I want to go one step further.

Another good option. Thank you!

Again, thank you, everyone! Getting into this hobby is expensive so I'm trying to do as much pre-buying research as I can. Thank you so much!