Black Library Advent eShorts 2023

18 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

I was unaware the Wolfspear had an IA - I assume it was in a White Dwarf?  I will have to track it down.  I also forgot about the timeline retcon, which changes a lot of my issues with the advent story portrayal.

I think the different portrayals of the Chapter is down to the age old issue of different takes by different authors.  Hopefully, Haley (or someone else) will eventually marry up the two versions into a cohesive whole.

Yeh it’s WD 468 IMO it’s a much better and coherent origin story for the Wolfspear 

On 12/21/2023 at 1:18 AM, Felix Antipodes said:

Release 8 - The Nine by Justin D Hill

This was one of the releases I was looking forward to and it didn’t disappoint.  The story is set at the start of the Martian civil war and is an origin story of sorts for the inner circle of the newly forming Dark Mechanicum.  Hill shows a good knowledge of the disparate DM threads from the HH series and provides an interesting and well written story.  I had no problems getting immersed into the story itself and I thought the characters were consistent with previous appearances.

Along with the McCormick release, it gave me a hint of what BL could have achieved if they had run with the HH as a setting any of their authors could dip their toe into, rather than a storyline.  Looking forward to the David Guymer short now to see if he can nail it too.

9/10 (imho)

2023-12 - The Nine by Justin D Hill (cover).jpg

I must say I agree completely with this, in all honesty I think it’s Justin’s best work to date

I’ve not been his biggest fan after reading Cadian Honour after being thoroughly bored the entire way through but he’s truly captured the essence and spirit of “40K” perfectly in this short, really amerced me within the setting which is usually something only ADB or Wraight does to that degree, I particularly liked his portrayal of Sota and the levels the mechanicus go in their ascension to machine reminded me of this Adrian Smith  piece IMG_1295.thumb.jpeg.e866f4788a96d4b55e0fd04dbc42cc3a.jpeg