Citadel Gloss washes replacements

My stock of Nuln Oil gloss is starting to run dangerously low.

At the time that they disappeared, people were talking about adding gloss varnish to the wash - how did that work out for everyone?

Now that the gloss washes have been gone for a while, what's the consensus for their replacements?

This might be a dumb question, but what was the reason you were using the gloss washes for? Was it because they left a glossy finish, or was it because they sat on the raised areas less? (that way we know what you're looking for :smile:)

Not a dumb question at all.

Using them as a shade over metallics, so mainly for the glossy finish, but they also seemed to settle in the recesses slightly better (and therefore sat on the raised areas less, as you identified) than the regular washes did.

For steel on weapons, I’d go Leadbelcher with a Nuln Oil Gloss coat and call it done. Brass is Balthazar with Agrax Gloss, gold is Retributor with Reikland Gloss.

Thanks to Conquest and Imperium magazines, I’ve got loads of spares of the old style washes, I’d just like to know what additives, if any, I can drop into the paint to get the glossy look.

If there are no additives that make the washes act like the old gloss variants, I’ll just gloss varnish over the top. I was just curious - or hoping really - that somebody had figured this out since the gloss washes went away.

Personally, I'd be interested to see what others have found out. :smile: From what I've seen, some have recommended Tamiya's panel liner range, as it runs into the recesses well, doesn't dull the surface, and is a bit glossy; others simply say "oil washes".

From my limited use of them, the new Contrast-based Shade line doesn't sit on the raised areas as much as the old line, and the Contrast line also makes similarly good washes when thinned with a fair bit of Contrast Medium. They're not gloss though, and I don't know if applying them onto a metallic area will result in that area going matte, although I'm guessing adding some gloss medium would sort that. I can see if I can find some spare bits and give it a try, if you can wait a couple of days...

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

I've got a couple of options to try

• Vallejo Gloss Medium as an additive
  • Vallejo Gloss Varnish as an additive
  • 'Ardcote as an additive
  • Vallejo Gloss Varnish as a top coat
  • 'Ardcote as a top coat.

I've got a few bits and pieces of terrain lying around that could do with a coat of paint, so I'll spray Leadbelcher and do science next week.

I have tried little experimenting and I am not convinced that adding gloss varnish is going to give the same finish. Paints are normally naturally glossy and require a matting agent to make them dull (normally something like very fine talc). Adding a gloss varnish will dilute the matting agent but won't remove it. 

I’ve just given this a quick go. It’s been too cold to spray Leadbelcher so I’ve experimented with some smaller parts than I originally wanted.

Adding Vallejo gloss varnish to nuln oil has kinda done the same thing but not quite - it’s getting to the stage where the wash is getting too dilute before the varnish is making the finished product glossy enough.

It’s looking like the correct result will be wash with regular washes then either a gloss or satin varnish over the top.