Daemoncember - Chaos Incursion event

Focslain

So my local event organizer designed a large-scale battle to cap the year off. This will take all five of the large tables in my FLGS as the community battle over the course of the day. The main forces in this are:

Defenders - Xenos Factions (minus Nids)
Attackers - All chaos factions, GSC, Guard and Admech (Traitor and dark effectivately)

The over arcing mission of this event is to stop the Chaos forces from completing a ritual on a majority of the tables. This is a modified version of the Ritual mission from 9th if my guess is right. 

The defenders will be divided by faction to protect their assigned area/table. So far there is only  one other Tau player in this. However between the two of us we are fielding a combined total of almost 9K (5300 for me, 3600 for him). So this is going to be a semi-packed table. I’m not sure on my counterpart’s force comp, but here is the list of units that I will be bringing to the defense.

Dark Wind Cadre

Eternal x2
Fireblade Cadre
Commander in Enforcer Suit
Crisis battlesuit x1
Strike Team x4
Pathfinder team x2
Devilfish
Stealth suits x15 (6/6/3)
Ghostkeel x2
Riptide
Broadside Suit
Skyray
Hammerhead x3 (one being longstrike)
Remora Drones x2
Droneport
Shieldwall x2
Gunrig x2

7th Gue'vesa Wing

Commander in Coldstar x2
Commander in Enforcer Suit
Fireblade Cadre x2
Crisis Battlesuit x8
XV9 Hazard Suit x2
Riptide
Stormsurge
Ta’unar Supremacy Armour

This is pretty much my entire collection, at least the painted portion. I do still have more units to work on, but will not be done by the event (Dec 16th) as I need a break from tau after finishing the Ta’unar. Speaking of which, some pictures I took of the battle ready unit.

20231205_1849151.thumb.jpg.a5702e6d84c2f39b45a6adc8ba0a1c86.jpg20231205_1849331.thumb.jpg.08a8e2cd23c757873c4e42e8da6c9d25.jpg20231205_1849501.thumb.jpg.6fb8167407b21b61ee6ac8627aa0188c.jpg

I want to add another GCS trooper and some flare to the other two engines later. Just ran out of greenstuff and I don’t have access to another trooper. The one I used is from the Ridgerunner kit I have and the splated arms are used from my sister’s spare parts of her GSC collection. 

For the suits, plan is to consolidate them and do 3 teams of 3 with a commander, this will leave a commander on their own, but the same will happen with the fireblades. My major hope is that I only have to face one of the three Chaos Knight players I know are attending. Honestly I figure the EO will spread them out a bit.

The rest is going to be how the first turn goes cause whoever gets it will be causing a large amount of pain in the opening salvo. Also not sure if their will be some version of Sustained Assault, though there is a decent chance there will be.

Edited by Focslain
Messed up spoiler tag

• 2 weeks later...

So the Darkwind did its best to halt the tide of chaos, but was unable to secure a strategic victory.

Granted if I could have finished my turn there was a good chance I would have a good chance at winning on my front. The other three fronts fell to the 'chaos' horde pretty easily.

The main mission was that chaos had to have three units holding the center objective at the end of the game. Each player was given a secret secondary objective. Thing was that chaos was arriving from said center objective. 

The mission wasn't impossible, chaos had first turn and came in within 6" of center. The 'defenders' set up outside of 18" from center. This meant that the chaos forces were coming in as waves. With them going first meant the defenders had a chance to kill the units around the center and possibly take it. 

The tables were the old 6'x4' size. I set up most of my stuff along the edges and in turn one, mostly behind the ruins to deny as much turn 1 shooting as possible. Which just meant that the big mech took most of the fire. They got it under half with just about everything they had at the time.

On that note, I had the table to myself, the other tau player didn't show and I was put against a Chaos marine and a Dark Angel player. Assignments were semi-random as long as the forces were close to equal. So I pulled the lucky straw as neither of the knight players were assigned to my front. They had a decent amount of anti-armour which they focused mostly on the big mech for two turns until they managed to finally kill it in the third turn. By that time I had taken out a large portion of their AT units, actually most of their stuff in general. We got to the bottom of turn 4 when time was called and they had deployed everything by then. The EO even allowed them to respawn three units in turn 2 after I wiped a large portion of the spearhead. 

I wish I had gotten more pictures, but went into gamer mode pretty much at that start and was trying to spend as much time rolling as possible.  It was fun to see the entire force on the field and working together. For the most part, my secret mission was to keep 5 units alive and I choose the three crisis teams, the Tau’naur and Stormsurge. So the battlesuits stayed in reserve until the last turn which I just managed to drop them to not count as destroyed. So didn’t get to fire them.

20231216_1632291.thumb.jpg.9ae81cc17218a1eb78e0f908ca98024c.jpg20231216_125302.thumb.jpg.12e3692e5acd9e07a1b93630c014066b.jpg20231216_163214.thumb.jpg.ce642409d9f2c83588f75f635a0bfa2c.jpgFB_IMG_1702848493458.thumb.jpg.3a20ea8b8f97a2678a1628d316741208.jpg

I amazingly didn’t take much damage, they only managed the following:
Ta'unar
Hammerhead x2
3 firewarriors
1 pathfinder (overheat)
Shieldwall
XV9 suit

What they had, at least what I can remember:
Chaos marines

Forgefiend (Respawned)

Venomcrawler (Respawed)
Warpsmith
2x 5 man legionnaires
Damon Prince
4 Obliterators
Rhino
Predator Annihilator
5 Chaos Terminators
Defiler
Heldrake
6 bikers
2 commanders (not sure on type)
Noctilth Crown

Dark Angels

Replusor Exterminator (Respawned)

2x Ballista Dreads
Techmarine
2x Firestorm turrets (lascannon)
10 man hellblasters
10 man Intercessors
5 man Assault intercessors w/jumppack
2 apothecaries
2 LT
Chaplin w/jumppack
Librarian in Phobos
Eliminator squad
Desolation Squad
Invader ATV

So based on my memory they were under me even with the respawn and me holding the suits in reserve. So definitely drew the lucky straw.