Lazarus: Enmity's Edge by Gary Kloster

I'm not sure why they think it's worth mentioning that Lazarus was "the first Primaris Space Marine to enter the secretive Inner Circle."

Lazarus is an ascended Firstborn. He's not one of the Greyshields foisted on the chapter by Guilliman, which was the source of any "outsider" status.

I realize the Inner Circle is gonna Inner Circle, but any hesitation they had about accepting Lazarus should have had zip to do with him personally being Primaris, unless they think the Rubicon process involves some kind of brainwashing.

Edited by Lord Nord

On 12/9/2023 at 4:24 PM, Blindhamster said:

tbf, not like balthazar was massively more fleshed out or anything either right

Well...Balthazar did have a number of works attached to him... Malediction, The Last Guardian, The Eye of Ezekiel, Dark Vengeance, Pandorax...where he either has cameos, supporting character or main character status... 

I miss Balthazar...

And to stay on topic; I think it is awesome that other people get a shot at writing Dark Angels. So, so tired of Gav Thorpe molesting the First Legion. Also, I think it cool that it seems the spine of the book matches The Lion, Son of the Forest novel, so that is neat! Definitely picking this one up in hardback. 

Edited by Master Ciaphas
Needed to keep it on topic and forgot to add my thoughts on Lazarus book

On 12/9/2023 at 1:24 PM, Lord Nord said:

I'm not sure why they think it's worth mentioning that Lazarus was "the first Primaris Space Marine to enter the secretive Inner Circle."

On 12/9/2023 at 1:24 PM, Lord Nord said:

Huh, sounds like they're retconning War of Secrets then, because a Greyshield was inducted to the Deathwing at the very end. Or at least offering a different in-universe option (Is "Everything is canon, but not everything is true" still a thing?). I'm so okay with retconning War of Secrets out of existence. 

On 12/11/2023 at 3:58 AM, Master Ciaphas said:

And to stay on topic; I think it is awesome that other people get a shot at writing Dark Angels. So, so tired of Gav Thorpe molesting the First Legion. Also, I think it cool that it seems the spine of the book matches The Lion, Son of the Forest novel, so that is neat! Definitely picking this one up in hardback. 

Say what you will about Thorpe's treatment of the Dark Angels, he at least had a cohesive theme and narrative he was exploring (how good they were is another thing altogether). Phil Kelly and some of the other authors just seemed to lean into bad internet tropes and shock value.

Any chance this book is just a well put together military sci-fi story of tactics and action? I’m not looking forward to more ham-fisted foreshadowing and “here we are on campaign and -OH LOOK A FALLEN!” Dark Angels are marines too, give us a novel of them doing just marine stuff.