Upcoming BL Stuff 2024

aa.logan

11 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

Is there an explanation for the dire state Black Library finds itself in, in terms of releasing novels at a satisfactory pace?

It wasn't long ago that there were multiple books to look forward to every year, covering key characters and events on a regular basis. Now entire factions and legendary characters are being ignored.

Their only outward facing medium is warcom and they are doing their very best to keep a straight face , trying to pokerface their way through every week with "nothing going on here folks, walk along now" whilst announcing a German or French translation. 

There's been neither neither an explanation, nor any semblance of news of books to come.

On 5/30/2024 at 5:39 AM, Orange Knight said:

Is there an explanation for the dire state Black Library finds itself in, in terms of releasing novels at a satisfactory pace?

It wasn't long ago that there were multiple books to look forward to every year, covering key characters and events on a regular basis. Now entire factions and legendary characters are being ignored.

While the pace of the release schedule has been lacking to say the least, and fan favorite series/trilogies haven't gotten anything besides the latest release for Cain, everything 40k that BL has released this year has been above average IMO. I mean, EC and Deldar are getting a novel this year, when was the last time either of those factions got their own books? Plenty to look forward to if you're not only concerned with more "meta" plot points. I for one welcome the more random novels, it actually makes 40k feel more like the setting it's supposed to be rather than the story route GW decided to go down by reintroducing a Primarch every edition or so.

4 hours ago, LemartestheLost said:

when was the last time either of those factions got their own books

I mean.... When Josh Reynolds and Ian St. Martin were still writing for them. Fabius Bile almost didn't get its third book and Lucius got axed after book one, decisions on part of BL.

Then again, I still have not much at all to look forward to from what little we know is coming, so eh. Still waiting for something to genuinely excite me again this year.

Not a bad week next week

Vraks (all editions, LE has a short story called Less Than Human)

The Rose in Darkness (Danie Ware) and Creed Ashes of Cadia (Jude Reid) both get paperbacks

Carcharadons Red Tithe (Robbie Macniven) which was my favorite of the two Carcharadons novels gets an audiobook

Helbrecht gets a French version

Posted (edited)

Another new novel promo with accompanying model…

IMG_5884.jpeg

Someone else also said this elsewhere but it bears repeating.  Why are we getting model releases for new and/or unknown characters when so many existing ones are without one?

On a positive note it’s by Jude Reid, so an instant buy for me when it gets a release.

Edited by Felix Antipodes

I have mixed thoughts.

One on hand, I'm happy they announced something new, I know people love the Sisters, and I'm not trying to bash a novel before it comes out because I don't think that's fair to the author

on the other hand

Another. New. Sisters. Novel.

Also they still refuse to give me a Caphias Cain and Jurgen model

19 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

Imagine commissioning an audiobook for book one of two in a prospective trilogy you seemingly canceled, with the author leaving for greener pastures :')

Where has he gone? He used to have a presence here but hasn't logged on in years.

16 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Also they still refuse to give me a Caphias Cain and Jurgen model

I am damn near certain i have a metal Cain model holding a banner somewhere in the pile, unless i am thinking of a Gaunt model. But BL did do  a limited cain model some years back dint they?

Dont think it came with  Jurgen tho. 

Excited for the book. I don’t mind model tie-ins for new characters since it still gives authors room to invent and explore the setting. My worry is that all these standalone novels partially inhibit the sort of deeper world building that Abnett or ADB got up to. 

It’s pretty clear that BL is intentionally pushing for more female representation, both in terms of authors and stories. The sisters are the obvious candidate for these tales and I’m all for it as long as the stories are good. 2-4 SOB novels a year is nothing next to the hundreds of SM books BL has put out.

2 hours ago, cheywood said:

Excited for the book. I don’t mind model tie-ins for new characters since it still gives authors room to invent and explore the setting. My worry is that all these standalone novels partially inhibit the sort of deeper world building that Abnett or ADB got up to. 

It’s pretty clear that BL is intentionally pushing for more female representation, both in terms of authors and stories. The sisters are the obvious candidate for these tales and I’m all for it as long as the stories are good. 2-4 SOB novels a year is nothing next to the hundreds of SM books BL has put out.

They've also upped the LGBT representation, although in the last few books I read it felt a bit obviously shoehorned in.

4 hours ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Another. New. Sisters. Novel.

They are bound to get one great novel at some point.

Our Martyred Lady had several novels, none truly impressed me.
Danie Ware wrote a series on the Bloody Rose, but it felt dull and tame when that Order deserved something fiery, bordering on psychotic.
Alec Worley wrote about the Valorous Heart, but I never got the impression that the faction's theme ever shone trough the stories.

Now we have Jude Reid's attempt at the Sacred Rose. Will the sisters have a good book at last?

Don't forget the Morvenn Vahl novel also written by Jude Reid that still hasn't come out yet

Also to kind of clear my conscience because I don't want to come across as the "rabble rabble no representation allowed" type

I am not saying sisters shouldn't get novels, I'm actually interested in a few of them like the Vahl novel. I'm down for more women characters, different ethnicities or orientations etc. It just seems like there's quite a few, and while that's great for folks interested in Sisters, it's never been a faction that I'm interested. Kind of how folks that don't like Cadians or Krieg kind of starve for Guard novels

3 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

Here's a sisters of silence audio book narrated by the protagonist.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T2gygPKfr9w&pp=ygUSMiBob3VycyBvZiBzaWxlbmNl

Back in the day, BL actually released an April Fools(?) audio drama for the Sisters of Silence. It had an announcement, the usual HH sound effects for the intro, and then nothing else, just a couple of minutes of silence. It was great.

But yeah, I'm not much interested in Sisters of Battle at the best of times. I'm curious about the meta plot implications here, but that's mostly it.

It's set during the 13th Black Crusade, parallel to the Fall of Cadia apparently and potentially also to Wraight's The Emperor's Legion. It might tie into the whole stable warp lane thing in the latter, where Abaddon was close to isolating Terra from the rest of the galaxy by using Blackstone to becalm the warp around its routes. At least that's the thing from that point in time that might doom Terra that springs to my mind. It might be an entirely new and never before seen threat that got taken out in the fiction years after the fact and never was foreshadowed, of course.

What would be kind of funny is if it dealt with a Hand of Abaddon precursor, though. I'd have a good chuckle, at least.

17 hours ago, The Scorpion said:

They are bound to get one great novel at some point.

What if i told you it only exists but is one of the most 40k- 40k books ever written?

I am speaking of course of requiem infernal by Peter Fehervari.  Is it straight up Sister of Battle bolter adult time? No, but it nails the 'average sister of battle world' experience and has some fantastic looks into what blind zeal can do to a sister.  Unless your dead set on straight up major battles in warzone stories it is a must read for any adeptus sororitas fans. 

1 hour ago, Nagashsnee said:

What if i told you it only exists but is one of the most 40k- 40k books ever written?

I am speaking of course of requiem infernal by Peter Fehervari.  Is it straight up Sister of Battle bolter adult time? No, but it nails the 'average sister of battle world' experience and has some fantastic looks into what blind zeal can do to a sister.  Unless your dead set on straight up major battles in warzone stories it is a must read for any adeptus sororitas fans. 

Beat me to gushing about Requim Infernal.

17 hours ago, The Scorpion said:

I can forgive the large amount of Krieg novels since Lyons appear to have a great grasp on what makes Kriegers vibe with the setting. Every story he has written so far takes its time to explore a slightly different idea too.

But I agree on the others. Where are my Armageddon Steel Legion stories at?

Hmm what Krieg books have there been outside of "Krieg" a a few years ago and now Siege of Vraks?

17 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

Now that the WarCom article is up, I see that there will be a LE of Daemonbreaker as well when it’s released.

LE are a given now. Especially if there is an accompanying mini release

3 hours ago, Taliesin said:

Hmm what Krieg books have there been outside of "Krieg" a a few years ago and now Siege of Vraks?

On top of the Krieg book (which is actually the origin story of Krieg as we know it, poignant stuff imho) Steve Lyons has written the acclaimed "Dead Men Walking" and a plethora of short stories based on Kriegers such as "Less than Human", "The Strong Among us" and "Left for Dead".