Upcoming BL Stuff 2024

aa.logan

Thoughts on the previews:

Morvenn Vahl: Spear of Faith - My only experience with Reid is still the short in Vorbis Conspiracy, which was pretty good. I'm not going for the audiobook of Ashes of Cadia cuz I'd rather see how she reads proper in a long-form book. But I do love Sororitas and their fighting the Night Lords sounds interesting. I generally dislike that the High Lords of Terra have been made into competent/active figures, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

The Art of the Horus Heresy - I find the majority of the Heresy covers pretty ugly; easy pass.

The Ghosts of Barak-Minoz - Didn't make it all the way through the first one, not a fan of adventure stories. Easy Pass.

Ahriman: Undying - Already mentioned I loved Eternal, and French's pitch makes it sound really interesting, structurally. Very excited, especially if he can introduce as many new elements as Eternal did.

Lazarus: Enmity’s Edge - Kloster's been a very solid writer so far; again, he's the only author to ever make me care about Ogryns who aren't my Darktide character. I happily welcome any competent author on the Dark Angels, even if I'm not familiar with the title character.

Renegades: Lord of Excess - Not familiar with this author, but I like Emperor's Children and if it's even slightly similar in themes to Harrowmaster I'm sure I'll like it.

Eidolon: The Auric Hammer - Collins' pitch sounds great but I've been burned on his books before. I hope this one actually keeps a decent amount of character work instead of smothering it in fight scenes. Show us that Grim Repast talent again, Marc!

The Dead Kingdom - Adored The Hollow King, easy buy for me.

Da Big Dakka - Love Brooks' orks, though I'd like some more from Crowley too - enjoy that serious/comedy balance between their writing styles. I really enjoyed how Brutal Kunnin' split the POVs between the orks and their enemies, so if this means some Brooks Dark Eldar too I'm even more excited. Should be fun!

I go into these with no expectations so I'm usually pleased with what I see. Spears 2 and Black Legion 3 will come when they come, I ain't stressin'. My only real question is why are we getting an Eidolon book before a Typhus book. Has the guy ever been anything but an accessory to someone else's plot? Lucius has a book and shorts, Khârn has a book and shorts, and Ahriman's got a mountain of writing dedicated to him. Give me a Typhus character piece you cowards!

In the preview article the horus heresy art book has a cover in the bottom left that I've never seen before. Is that new? Looks like sons of horus. Now that I'm looking at it I can see that in the bottom right picture the cover with vulkan lives you can make a sliver of it at the beginning of the book. The sons of horus guy standing on the broken pillar with his pose reminds me of the false gods cover. Maybe It's a remake? It has the mountains in the background with the falling drop pods and everything. I think I can make out gods on the very left. If it is this looks way better and is actually lore accurate. Neil Roberts can say he did all the heresy covers now I think.

Edited by 63-19

image.thumb.png.52c2f4c4b47cf8ec6793d83661cc62ce.png

This visual guide to the Age of Darkness charts the Horus Heresy series across 200+ pages of full-colour cover illustrations, from the hellish betrayal on Isstvan III to the climactic Siege of Terra. Series artist Neil Roberts also adds detailed commentary and reflections of the series as a whole, granting extra insight into the amazing artwork created for such an epic series. The Art of the Horus Heresy is also landing at the Black Library Celebration 2024, and you’ll be able to pick up the bookmark separately soon.

I like that its a big book, thats more than what I expected based on the stream image. Also I did want something where Roberts posts commentary so this could be just right. 

Edited by Taliesin

I’m ok with the ‘big beasts’ not being featured, although I was disappointed that there was no LoV novel announced.  I guess it’s not ready yet.  Especially when they made a point early in the presentation that ‘BL has listened to fans and are featuring more Xenos’ (btw, I love the premise of the new Orks book, it sounds like it’ll be a blast!)

15 hours ago, lansalt said:

It looks like a remake of the False Gods cover art, and I think I almost see that title under the image, but I've never seen it before. Maybe BL is going to re-release the original trilogy with new covers and illustrations after  TEATD3 ?

It does seem to say "False Gods" yeah, I can't make out the following text though. Could be they plan to do LEs of the first three books? It's a really nice piece of art.

Whilst we're talking about 2024, I hope this website will encourage more people to post in the BL forum next year.  I've just visited the 'general' forum and there are a few threads about the newly announced books.  I don't see why those discussions shouldn't be taking place here, rather than elsewhere on the website which is diluting the engagement.  

48 minutes ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

Whilst we're talking about 2024, I hope this website will encourage more people to post in the BL forum next year.  I've just visited the 'general' forum and there are a few threads about the newly announced books.  I don't see why those discussions shouldn't be taking place here, rather than elsewhere on the website which is diluting the engagement.  

This was brought up earlier in the year (wrt the E&tD as I recall).  I still think it would be a good idea to move the BL related N&R threads to here once the book(s) go up for pre-order, possibly merged if there is already a thread here.  

For instance there is a N&R thread for most of the recent BL preview books, whilst they have mainly been covered in this thread and will mostly be reviewed in the Rate What You Read thread.  If the Mods move the threads here then (hopefully) any reviews and/or discussions will end up in the relevant thread.

I commented on this before and I'm still against having BL related stuff under the News section. I understand the logic but even this forum clearly shows the state of the BL vs GW relation. It's treated as something extra and the majority of the B&C users don't even bother visiting this sub-section. Even the preview Twitch chat fairly quickly turned into plastic crack-related topics and some people complained about lack of miniatures revealed... During the BL preview

On the flipside, I come specifically to the BL forum to discuss BL books. I don't go to the news section unless there's something being announced that I'm somewhat interested in, like the big event coverage, because I can't be bothered with the marketing babble on a live stream when all I want is the pictures they won't officially post until quite a bit later.

So in actuality, despite me wanting to read about and discuss BL products, that discussion happens elsewhere from where I'd expect it to be and I inevitably won't take part in it. Otherwise interesting conversations will not be had here where they belong, but under a "placeholder" location, if they don't remain permanently over there anyway.

As things stand, there are countless discussions that I'll never pay attention to, simply because I don't care to go to a mini-focused part of the board.

A note for fellow Black Library adepts. There's at least one copy of LE Creed and LE Sea of Souls left in the EU&UK (and US maybe) GW online store. Poor Creed is there for three or for days( 

Edited by neOh (AV)
Error with files

On 12/10/2023 at 3:54 AM, cheywood said:

The End and the Death Volume 3, surprisingly, seems like it will be arriving well before the BL celebration. Fnac has dated the English release for January 27th. Preorder on the 13th presumably.

AF7DA166-4761-45A7-8584-E697BE6B7F10.png

Gods I hope that date is incorrect and it's further out. Not because I don't want to read it, but the absolute :cuss:show that is the website will pretty much guarantee LE orders are going to fail all over the place.

2 hours ago, matcap86 said:

Gods I hope that date is incorrect and it's further out. Not because I don't want to read it, but the absolute :cuss:show that is the website will pretty much guarantee LE orders are going to fail all over the place.

I’d rather get it over with. Getting a SoT LE has been a crapshoot for a while now, new website or old. 

Having now finished The Last Volari, I'm even more excited for Kloster's Dark Angels book. It wasn't mind blowing or anything, but damn was it captivating. The speed at which he introduces varied, distinct characters is a great sign, and the DAngels could use an author of his quality. Volari also had a villain I genuinely hated, which I find a rarity in Black Library despite how many atrocities we read about. Definitely check it out if you have any interest in AOS (after Godeater's Son of course.)

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

Sons of the Emperor is getting its audiobook on the 20th, alongside the new Lords of the Lance Bretonnia novel, the G&F Shamanslayer audiobook, and the first new edition of the End Times omnibuses.

So, SO pleased for the Sons audiobook!  That means Scions must be coming at some point too.  I hope we get Keeble narrating.  

Brings back memories of how hard it was to get Sons of the Emperor when it was first released.  For those who don’t remember it was an event exclusive when it first came out.  I remember driving to the HH Weekender in Nottingham (or was it Derby?) with my baby son in tow just to buy a copy of the book, only to be told that a scalper had got there early and bought up all the copies!  Fortunately a really cool BL employee posted me a copy after the event.