Upcoming BL Stuff 2024

aa.logan

Skaventide’s dated for July 13th, meaning preorders for the new AOS edition will go up June 29th. I’m not into the model side of things but figured some might be interested. 

For those keeping track this will be the 13th new release of 2024, so we’re on pace for 26 books over the course of the year. Not too far off from last year’s total of 30. Not bad considering the delayed limited editions. 

At this point I think my issue with this year’s catalog is less about quantity and more that too many of the releases are good but not spectacular. Hopefully they’re saving the best for the latter half of 2024.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Taliesin said:

I know. I thought that since you mentioned there had been a flurry of Krieg novels, there might have been some that I had missed. 

My bad. I meant to say Krieg stories. Obviously a short story is nowhere near the same as a full novel

Edited by The Scorpion

2 minutes ago, cheywood said:

For those keeping track this will be the 13th new release of 2024, so we’re on pace for 26 books over the course of the year. Not too far off from last year’s total of 30. Not bad considering the delayed limited editions. 

I will have to take your word on this being the 13th release, I am sure you have kept track of it, I know I havent, even as I have watched each week what came out ( and didnt...).

It certainly feels like we have barely had anything because...we really have had barely anything. The only notable release I have seen is End and the death vol.3

Siege of Vraks is only the second book I will be ordering in 2024. Are you including paperback re-releases? Or its mainly AoS?

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

I will have to take your word on this being the 13th release, I am sure you have kept track of it, I know I havent, even as I have watched each week what came out ( and didnt...).

It certainly feels like we have barely had anything because...we really have had barely anything. The only notable release I have seen is End and the death vol.3

Siege of Vraks is only the second book I will be ordering in 2024. Are you including paperback re-releases? Or it’s mainly AoS?

I totally understand that feeling. 

Here’s a list: 

Lords of the Lance

The End and The Death: Volume 3

Da Big Dakka

The Ghosts of Barak-Minoz 

Lazarus: Enmity’s Edge

Callis and Toll

Renegades: Lord of Excess

Deathworlder

The Dead Kingdom

Darkoath

Lelith Hesperax: Queen of Knives

Siege of Vraks

Skaventide

As you can see it’s split about 50/50 AOS/40k. Technically at this point it’s 4-5 since Darkoath, Queen of Knives, Vraks and Skaventide aren’t in anyone’s hands. Outside of the delayed limited editions and lack of momentum with the Heresy’s ending I think there’s a few reasons for the perceived lack of titles.

1. More AOS. I think we just have to accept that, as AOS grows in popularity, it’s going to take up more of BL’s catalog and marquee authors will devote time to it they otherwise would have spent on 40k. I’m not a huge AOS fan, but it’s a fun setting that’s worth exploring if you like fantasy at all.

2. New authors. 3 of the 7 40k books released this year are by newer authors. You’ve got McCormick’s first novel, Hayward’s first novel, and Kloster’s second novel. A lot of fans pay minimal attention to newer writers so it’s easy to forget about these titles. 

Edited by cheywood

I'm always happy to see BL 'pushing' out new authors. At the same time, I'm always sad to see some of the fan base's reaction: 'Who? Not Abnett/ADB? Don't care, never heard of them.' The number of people who said exactly that about Fehervari in various discussion groups is heartbreaking.

Just give me more Flowers (preferably Necromunda but he mentioned he's working on BL stuff but not Necromunda). And Jake Ozga!

I just became aware of a really stupid controversy re: Mike Brooks on the worse parts of the fandom and wider internet as it resurfaced due to the Lelith novel, and am very much looking forward to said book selling out in short order. It's bound to anyway, but for once, it'll feel cathartic to watch it happen.

Posted (edited)

What is I Am Slaughter doing in there?

I thought we were all still pretending The Beast Arises didn't happen.

E: On the 'certain parts of the fandom' front, I recently reread Volpone Glory (it's still good) and can't believe it didn't generate even a tiny uptick in unhappiness. Perhaps it's because certain characters were the right kind of woke, with the more classical 'gay' relationship between the Guard officers and that the Strong Independent Female is strong and independent but also equally - if not more - blind to her relative privilege amongst others. Not to mention the classism elements of the story being obviously up front but met with a very Imperial 'yeah sure the mil-servs are just as capable of picking up a lasgun, of course they are, but they don't have the right kind of breeding so doing so is punishable by death'. 

Or, uh, maybe nobody read it. There's always that, too... 

Edited by wecanhaveallthree
AND ANOTHER THING...

I'm just over halfway through Ashes of Cadia and, despite some illogical set-up, the writing slaps. It reminds me of early ADB for how easy it is to read, and how it focusses on things I actually want to hear about in any given scene. Morvenn Vahl and Daemonbreaker just shot up to insta-buys for me.

On 6/3/2024 at 2:03 PM, The Scorpion said:

They are bound to get one great novel at some point.

Our Martyred Lady had several novels, none truly impressed me.
Danie Ware wrote a series on the Bloody Rose, but it felt dull and tame when that Order deserved something fiery, bordering on psychotic.
Alec Worley wrote about the Valorous Heart, but I never got the impression that the faction's theme ever shone trough the stories.

Mark of Faith by Rachel Harrison. 

On 6/7/2024 at 12:36 AM, Roomsky said:

I'm just over halfway through Ashes of Cadia and, despite some illogical set-up, the writing slaps. It reminds me of early ADB for how easy it is to read, and how it focusses on things I actually want to hear about in any given scene. Morvenn Vahl and Daemonbreaker just shot up to insta-buys for me.

I've talked to the author once or twice on social media and she seems lovely.

3 hours ago, OpossumStrong said:

Siege of Vraks is up for those who interested, but it seems the book(or the author) is not that popular, I checked Australia webstore and it was still available this morning. 

Or, maybe, other former collectors have more resolve than me and have actually washed their hands entirely of LEs like they said they would…

25 minutes ago, aa.logan said:

Or, maybe, other former collectors have more resolve than me and have actually washed their hands entirely of LEs like they said they would…

Probably, but I mean did the scalpers left? Usually they know what to buy. 

And regarding LE's, I'm still buying them, but if I miss some I'm ok with it now, I'll just get the hardback one. 

The only LE's I'll (probably) skip would be series like SoT. 

16 hours ago, aa.logan said:

I have a problem where I like nice things and the book is kind of inspirational art work. I also have a fondness for history.

I'm somewhat optimistic that maybe with The Siege of Terra being over its possible the Scalpers will likely go away or GW has been secretly working on an anti-scalping system for bigger releases. 

I'm excited to see what new authors come up with for AoS. It seems they have a bit more freedom to try different things. So far, I've only read stories from Lambert; the rest seem to be brand-new authors for BL. Lambert's horror short story, The Somewhere Sister, was one of the better ones.

On 6/5/2024 at 2:04 PM, theSpirea said:

I'm always sad to see some of the fan base's reaction: 'Who? Not Abnett/ADB? Don't care, never heard of them.' The number of people who said exactly that about Fehervari in various discussion groups is heartbreaking.

It is very painful indeed. Gosh.

Hmm, does anyone know why we're getting another release of the Echoes of Eternity paperback? I thought we got that one months ago.