Upcoming BL Stuff 2024

aa.logan

1 hour ago, theSpirea said:

I guess my buying multiple copies of Fire Made Flesh and giving them to everyone I know wasn't enough. Damn GW and their marketing, and BL fans not branching out.

Heh, thanks for your efforts! Hopefully one day I’ll get to continue the story…

8 hours ago, Denny said:

Thanks!

I would very much like to write another Necromunda book. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s on the cards (at least, not any time soon). I can’t say much more without worrying I’ll violate my NDA, but sufficient to say my Necromunda stuff is nowhere near as popular as my 40k stuff.

I have completed a couple of other novels (and I’m starting another one) but I’m not sure when they will be out.

Hi Denny,

Can I ask something about this? Do you have any idea why you have several novels pending? It seems to apply to some other BL authors as well.

Interesting insight into the fact that 40K sells so much better, it is not surprising of course but still says a lot about how the Necromunda books sold ( despite being well received).

1 hour ago, Taliesin said:

Hi Denny,

Can I ask something about this? Do you have any idea why you have several novels pending? It seems to apply to some other BL authors as well.

Interesting insight into the fact that 40K sells so much better, it is not surprising of course but still says a lot about how the Necromunda books sold ( despite being well received).

I think knowledge of 40k authors is a niche within a niche within a niche.

I speak with some lovely GW store employees, some of whom read the books. And few of them pay any attention to who the author is. If I mention Book X is also written by the person who wrote Book Y, they will most likely know Book Y, but paid zero attention to the names on the front.

This seems crazy to me, but I have found it on multiple occasions.

So, the number of people looking for the next "Denny Flowers" on the shelf or the release schedule is far more niche than a person who sees a new Space Wolf book on the shelf of their FLGS and buys it because SPaCe ViKingS R Kewl.

I like to chat about BL with my opponent while playing Warhammer, and of the few that read, they have usually read a few of their faction's books. Which means some real dross gets bought in large numbers, while superb 40k fiction gets ignored... but this probably isn't news to everyone reading this thread :)

Hi.

I can’t really say much about internal BL processes, partly because I have an NDA and partly because I don’t know very much about them. 

But it’s worth noting that when I say I’ve “finished” a book, there is an editorial process that takes place after that (involving various editors and proofreaders, all of whom are saints and heroes). So although a book is finished for *me*, there’s a whole lot more work involved before it’s ready to be printed. It’s just not *my* work. Mostly.

(That’s before you factor in the actual printing and transporting of physical books, which takes ages. Plus commissioning cover art, recording audio book etc. Adds up. You also need to space out releases, so that might add another delay.)

I only completed one novel a couple of days ago. So I *just* have two novels finished (which is also a first for me).

1 hour ago, Denny said:

Hi.

I can’t really say much about internal BL processes, partly because I have an NDA and partly because I don’t know very much about them. 

But it’s worth noting that when I say I’ve “finished” a book, there is an editorial process that takes place after that (involving various editors and proofreaders, all of whom are saints and heroes). So although a book is finished for *me*, there’s a whole lot more work involved before it’s ready to be printed. It’s just not *my* work. Mostly.

(That’s before you factor in the actual printing and transporting of physical books, which takes ages. Plus commissioning cover art, recording audio book etc. Adds up. You also need to space out releases, so that might add another delay.)

I only completed one novel a couple of days ago. So I *just* have two novels finished (which is also a first for me).

Can you tell us about the commissioning process?

Is it " we want a book about X faction where they fight Y faction" or is it "I want to write a book about X faction where they fight Y faction".

In my own non fiction books I've had very hands off editors and more hands on ones who suggest changes. I prefer the latter. Do they do that in BL?

1 hour ago, grailkeeper said:

Can you tell us about the commissioning process?

Is it " we want a book about X faction where they fight Y faction" or is it "I want to write a book about X faction where they fight Y faction".

In my own non fiction books I've had very hands off editors and more hands on ones who suggest changes. I prefer the latter. Do they do that in BL?

I don’t think I can say much about the process, but I’ve had both, or something in between (What ideas so you have for ‘x’?).

Editors have their own styles. Sometimes there are suggestions, sometimes feedback is more about overall tone or structure. That’s probably the kind I value the most as it’s best to fix that stuff early.

I’m still pretty new at this, so honestly getting to work with people still feels like training. 

Anyway, I probably shouldn’t be clogging this thread! If you have questions you can DM me, but as noted I can’t really give any details on anything (but can talk generally about the writing process)

51 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

I'm sorry, this isn't meant to reflect the authors quality or the hard work she put into the novel, but they're out of their minds with the $160 price tag for the "mega" limited edition

Her first book was excellent, and I'm a big fan, but not $160 big. 

4 hours ago, darkhorse0607 said:

I'm sorry, this isn't meant to reflect the authors quality or the hard work she put into the novel, but they're out of their minds with the $160 price tag for the "mega" limited edition

Usual price for Mega. At least this one has somewhat "interest" junk. Still, hard pass to pay double for this crap I'd put in a drawer and never take out again

Buckle up, there are actually releases next week

-Ahriman Undying, all formats+limited edition

-Lelith Hesperax regular editions (audio, ebook, print)

-Fall of Cadia, and Genefather in paperback

-German Lazarus and Vraks

-AUDIO VERSION OF WRATH OF IRON (hyped for that one)

That's it

edit. Yall are getting too quick for me.

Edited by darkhorse0607

So far, they've mostly stuck with publishing order for the Space Marine Battles audiobooks released in recent history; they obviously skipped Helsreach and Battle of the Fang since they did those earlier, but all the other audios they did lately have been in the first set, odd re-recording aside.

With Wrath of Iron, they skipped three books in the series: The Gildar Rift, Legion of the Damned and Architect of Fate (which is 4 novellas, but unlike anthologies, those do get adapted).

I wonder if they'll backfile the rest soon after, or if there'll be a glaring gap for years. I was actually looking forward to the Gildar Rift audio, since I never got around to reading it, yet there's been at least two further Huron novels since, one in SMB (Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds, the final actual novel in the series iirc) and the characters novel. Kinda wanted to read Sarah Cawkwell's book to compare characterization and all.

Also never got around to (or got far with) Legion of the Damned. Something about Sanders' prose makes me rather sleepy (to the point of almost falling asleep at the doctor's back in the day, reading Archaon: Everchosen; being stuck waiting in a back room on your own for half an hour while treatment happened didn't mesh well with Sanders and a long journey through the Chaos Wastes, haha. Great novel, though - pisses me off to this day that the print run for the second book was so low, I could not manage to get the hardback. And the paperback iirc never happened, because they did the End Times and flushed all those plans down the toilet. Argh!)