Upcoming BL Stuff 2024

aa.logan

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OpossumStrong said:

Chance to win 33 books, three lucky WH+ subscribers

All you need to do is be signed up to Warhammer+ by the 14th of August.

I should check when does my subscription ends, because I did cancel it several months ago :huh:

First time I’ve heard talk of a ‘core novel range’, presumably those titles they keep in print. Interesting to see overlaps with @Roomsky’s thread about keeping books…

IMG_0161.jpeg

image is awfully compressed, but I can make out the Hero of the Imperium omnibus, SoT 1-3, the Dark Imperium trilogy, The Avenging Son, Night Lords omnibus, Leviathan, Horus Heresy 1-3, Son of the Forest,  Genefather, the Infinite and the Divine, Valdor, the Eisenhorn and 1st Ghosts omnibuses, the Ahriman omnibus, The Fsll of Cadia, Minka Lesk omnibus, Krieg, Brutal Kunnin’, Rath’s assassin book and one other 40k title that I just can’t make out Harrowmaster, perhaps the only surprise inclusion- much as I liked it.

Pretty good selection, really.

Edited by aa.logan
To reposition the image.

I wonder if this bodes well for books such as Godeater’s Son and Harrowmaster getting sequels. The books in the ‘core range’ are a little random, but a large number of the 40k and AOS titles have had sequels commissioned recently. Probably means nothing and ‘core range’ is a term created by Warcom for the promotion.

Saw this on Reddit. Not specifically related to AoS but rather as an info how BL operates. Why the heck would they mention next Gotrek novel there when it's not even announced anywhere. Maybe it was supposed to come out at the same time and it's delayed but still... BL never stops surprising me at how crappy they are at marketing and scheduling.

skaventide-hardbacks-are-beautif.jpg

Anyone have any clue what ADB is working on? His novel output has dropped. I know he does some other stuff for GW but don't know what. He used to mention on his socials what he was working on but that is gone now. I'd love to know what he is cooking up next. Anyone know?

There's not much info about what ADB is upto these days since he's off social media. His LinkedIn lists him currently as Head of Narrative at GW, but he hasn't updated his website in a while, but his blog post on there says there is a manuscript for Spear of the Emperor 2. I do hope he's doing well.

Edited by Casual Heresy

The 33 books in the giveaway seem to be a mix of The Core Range that you will find stocked in every Warhammer store (Trilogies for Heresy, Cain, Gaunt etc...) plus recent titles still with print copies available (Valdor, Yndrasta etc...).

The Core Range is a thing, but it's not all of the ones in the giveaway.

1 hour ago, Casual Heresy said:

There's not much info about what ADB is upto these days since he's off social media. His LinkedIn lists him currently as Head of Narrative at GW, but he hasn't updated his website in a while, but his blog post on there says there is a manuscript for Spear of the Emperor 2. I do hope he's doing well.

I wonder what “Head of Narrative” entails.  Anyone hazard a guess?

I wonder how much head of narrative interacts with Wade's job which, if memories serve was head of 40k's lore?

Like is it a team effort or does one answer to the other? Or is like everything else with GW where no one really knows?

How many years are we going to wait before we get more novels about the Lion?

I sound like a broken record at this point, but this is a monumental character and a major player in the 40k setting that is being neglected.

Guilliman was the subject of appropriate novel support upon his return.

It's starting to feel like GW are abandoning the narrative focus.

On another note, that 40k book collection is pretty good. Covers a lot of bases.

Edited by Orange Knight

13 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I sound like a broken record at this point, but this is a monumental character and a major player in the 40k setting that is being neglected.

On another note, that 40k book collection is pretty good. Covers a lot of bases.

I think GW, perhaps rightly, reacted to people's reactions re: Loyalist Primarchs being a thing in the setting again. That said, I do sympathize with the desire to see more of the Lion in 40k. But I think it should be done with deliberate, considered steps. One of the strengths of Abnett and ADB's writing is the 'peasant's eye view' of SM and the wider Imperium, and I would hate that to give way to what others have identified as crass superheroics.

Only one new AoS novel next week for preorders, but according to the bottom of the article, we’re getting book reveals this coming week, some of them being fiction as well as rukebooks . 

Some could mean one, but I’m hopeful for something intriguing regardless. 

Edited by Casual Heresy

41 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Around the same time as the main studio talks about the 4th Tyrannic War they made seem like the biggest thing in a while and then dropped to go back to the Pariah Nexus

I realize it's a salty non-answer but still. With how much Brooks has been pumping out lately, I wouldn't be surprised if the second Lion novel is done and they're just sitting on it

1 hour ago, SvenIronhand said:

I think GW, perhaps rightly, reacted to people's reactions re: Loyalist Primarchs being a thing in the setting again. That said, I do sympathize with the desire to see more of the Lion in 40k. But I think it should be done with deliberate, considered steps. One of the strengths of Abnett and ADB's writing is the 'peasant's eye view' of SM and the wider Imperium, and I would hate that to give way to what others have identified as crass superheroics.

By reaction do you mean an absolute explosion in sales for minis, books and everything else relating to 40k?

I understand some people preferred the setting prior to 8th edition, but over the last year or so it has become really apparent that we've hit a content drought in regards to Black Library novels.

38 minutes ago, SvenIronhand said:

Sales are not the only metric. 

But sales are the only metric that GW seems to care about. If something doesn’t sell, it doesn’t matter if it’s liked by fans, it will get dropped. Take for example Gav Thorpe’s Ynnari serise, Harlequins as a stand-alone army, Warhammer Fantasy Battle….

1 hour ago, Casual Heresy said:

But sales are the only metric that GW seems to care about. If something doesn’t sell, it doesn’t matter if it’s liked by fans, it will get dropped. Take for example Gav Thorpe’s Ynnari serise, Harlequins as a stand-alone army, Warhammer Fantasy Battle….

By that point, wouldn't sales be the motivating factor behind what OK is complaining about?

49 minutes ago, SvenIronhand said:

By that point, wouldn't sales be the motivating factor behind what OK is complaining about?

Indeed.

I'd take the next Spears book, the next Black Legion book. The next whatever book by Wraight, over the wretched 'look at how great the Primarchs are' or Cawl book every single time.

Its a vast SETTING, meta plots are a disease.

5 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

We've gotten an entire new faction  and they've had fewer books than the Lion.

3 minutes ago, grailkeeper said:

We've gotten an entire new faction  and they've had fewer books than the Lion.

And the potential of said faction for expanding the lore (unlike every Primarch centered flawed metaplot since Rob came back) is VAST. The potential is huge, meanwhile we have content of dubious quality focusing on a few big center piece kits....er I mean 'relevant characters'.