Upcoming BL Stuff 2024

aa.logan

The problem with the Lion's story, dealing with the Dark Angels and the Fallen and more particularly Luther, all require some degree of revelation about Caliban's Very Loyal Downsizing (We Weren't Using The Rest Of The Planet Anyway). It's the key event for the Chapter and their stories, and the mystery and misunderstandings that happened there have fed their plots since inception. It's also a 'no duh' book for a Scouring series, along with the Iron Cage. You can't really move forward with the Lion without overcoming Caliban, and I don't think there's narrative room to wriggle around Caliban until those events have a proper telling of their own.

I think there are a lot of stories that can be told before they tackle the deeper plot points relating to the Dark Angels.

Like I listed before, we can have entire novels about the Lion meeting with his brother, or going to see the Emperor etc.

I do hope that the lack of big ticket titles like The Lion King 2 and an actual warp damned Votaan novel are due to delays in scheduling from things happening behind the scenes. And I hope those behind the scenes things are a restructure in how BL works to deliver more content and a Scouring serise.

I think BL is safe from axing for now. They have just hired a new comissioning editor which is not a role they would fill if being wound down. This week might give us some hope with warcom's insinuation that we'll have some book reveals this week.

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. I believe I know what books are getting announced this week! One of them is rather exciting (no it’s not ADB). But first a little music to set the mood.

Courtesy of Fnac we have three new 40k titles releasing at the end of August. All three are up for preorder 8/10, releasing 8/24. 

First up, the previously announced Aveline: Daemonbreaker from Jude Reid. I think we’re all aware of this one. Set during the fall of Cadia, SoB focused, accompanying a model release. Based on Reid’s previous work this should be one to keep an eye on. 

Next up, Inquisitor Coteaz is getting a novel from Darius Hinks called Daemonhammer. Sounds like it’s about him getting old and having to deal with a threat to his throne (prostate cancer?). Hopefully the book’s better than the new model. Hinks is usually better with humans than posthumans, so I have hope for this one. 

Finally and most excitingly, Robbie MacNiven is back!! And he’s written a novel about the Exorcists called Oaths of Damnation. Seems it‘s about a group of Vanguard marines hunting a daemon infected Exorcist. Couldn’t be more excited for his return. I’d love to see him finish up the Carcharodons trilogy but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Overall looks like August is going to be an excellent month, even if all the titles are jumbled together on a single day because balanced release schedules are for losers.

Edited by cheywood

Oh my damn that's very exciting news. I was already looking forward to Daemonbreaker, but a Coteaz novel, and Exocist novel and the return of Robbie MacNiven to BL all in the same month?! Be still my beating heart!

2 hours ago, cheywood said:

Next up, Inquisitor Coteaz is getting a novel from Darius Hinks called Daemonhammer. Sounds like it’s about him getting old and having to deal with a threat to his throne (prostate cancer?). Hopefully the book’s better than the new model. Hinks is usually better with humans than posthumans, so I have hope for this one. 

.....I'm still not over Torquemada HAVING HAIR now. That's not the baldy I painted 15 years ago, no sir. And that cover actually has him with white hair, rather than the dark, youthful mane the model's got. What's even happening anymore?

1 hour ago, DarkChaplain said:

.....I'm still not over Torquemada HAVING HAIR now. That's not the baldy I painted 15 years ago, no sir. And that cover actually has him with white hair, rather than the dark, youthful mane the model's got. What's even happening anymore?

Reminds me of something said once to a bald friend. "How many lads with all their hair shave their heads"?

7 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

Wow, not only is the model bad, not only did they reuse the old Codex art on the Codex, but they...tried to emulate the art using the new model as a base on the novel and its...bad?

What are they thinking.

45 minutes ago, grailkeeper said:

I've never read any of Darius Hinks books. He doesn't get discussed here much. Any good?

Generally competent prose and sometimes some wild evocative imagery, but oftentimes the characters feel flat and/or make seemingly self-contradictory decisions.

I'd say he's overall technically competent but something about his works just haven't clicked with me.

Let us hope this is a new MacNiven novel and not something BL had sitting around on the shelf, because I’m really excited for his return (if that’s the case).  When I first saw the Hinks book cover I thought it was something for AoS (good call @theSpirea).  Hopefully the story is better than the cover.

Three new novels announced.

There are three new Warhammer 40,000 stories coming later this year, starting with the return of a living legend: Flight Commander Lucille von Shard, the Hero of Bacchus, and star of Outgunned. When the man responsible for her fame – lowly propagandist Kile Simlex – receives a cryptic message, he is whisked away to join the crusade for which she has become the figurehead. What he finds, however, is not the fighter ace he once knew…

Denny Flowers returns with a new tale of unparalleled odds, as Lucille, broken by war and reputation crumbling, must face off against a seemingly invincible xenos mercenary in Above and Beyond.

Su3J0rNQ9HmJjJo5.jpg

Elsewhere in the galaxy, the forge world of Gryphonne IV is dead. Consumed by the relentless Hive Fleet Leviathan, only a handful of Magi survived, now devoid of purpose. Explorator Talin Sherax refuses to let hope die, and after learning of a powerful relic that could return everything to its former glory, she sets off on a long and dangerous journey.

Dominion Genesis by Jonathan D Beer is an epic quest into the unknown, where protagonist Talin feels the pull of heresy keenly, as she attempts to turn back time for the Adeptus Mechanicus.

wg4qejYFFauGTITe.jpg

Finally, it wouldn’t be a news post about Warhammer 40,000 books without Space Marines. Oaths of Damnation by Robbie MacNiven focuses on one of the more unique Chapters, The Exorcists. They willingly accept daemonic possession to combat the almighty forces of Chaos, knowing that when their souls are purged of the corruption they will be immune to it in future. Those who fail this process become known as Broken Ones, locked away far from the scrutiny of the Imperium.

When one is freed through daemonic conspiracy, it is up to Daggan Zaidu and his force of Hexbreakers to hunt it down before their secret is revealed – but the connection between this quarry and their commander runs deeper than is first assumed…

tWtq6wd1N1ERzMvH.jpg

Edited by Lord Marshal