Upcoming BL Stuff 2024

aa.logan

That’s four new novels revealed/leaked this week. Seems like the year’s really turning around in terms of novel releases. We’re at 24 so far, assuming nothing that’s been announced gets delayed into next year. My guess is we’ll see 3-4 more books announced for November/December and end up around 28 on the year. 

I’d say the average quality of releases has been okay this year as well. Most years BL puts out some absolute bangers and some duds. This year it feels like everything has been pretty good. The downside is that none of it’s particularly incredible either. Hopefully BL comes through with a major surprise in the fall.  

Edited by cheywood

New Lucille Von Schard let's :cuss:in gooooooooo! Very stoked for that.

King of the Spoil was great and I hope Beer's able to keep the quality up for a "proper" 40k book. 

I've never really clicked with MacNiven but seeing an author return is always good news. Hoping he gets to write Carcharodons 3 if he's so inclined.

Going to be picking up all of these *wallet gently weeps*.

I’m most excited for the Ad Mech novel because it doesn’t feature Cawl. I think Haley writes Cawl superbly well but at the same time he’s just a single cog in the machine. Lots of other tech priests deserve to have their story told.

Otherwise, looking forward to the follow up on Outgunned and I’m a sucker for successor chapters so thumbs up all around here.

29 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

Just don't get why they didn't officially announce the Coteaz novel, too. They didn't even do that on the miniature post...

My guess would be that they have purely Coteaz focused article lined up and the book would be announced there.

I know very little about the Exorcists beyond their gimmick so I'm actually really curious about this books, will give it a read for sure! 

2 hours ago, SteveAntilles said:

I really enjoyed Outgunned, so looking forward to this sequel! Be my first Black Library purchase this year.

I too enjoyed Outgunned (Philip Sacramento did a great job narrating the audio version), so I'll be looking at Above and Beyond, too.

3 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

I don't know Jonathan Beer but the cover of that is great. I guess I'll judge the book by the cover.

Agreed, that cover is fantastic! Apparently his other novel, King of the Spoil, is excellent and funnily enough it’s next up in my “to read” pile as soon as I finish Vraks.

Are Robbie MacNiven's books usually well received? Never read any of his stuff but Exorcists are my chapter so I may look at picking up Oaths of Damnation.

I wasn't exactly stoked with how they were written in the White Dwarf Index Astartes a while back, so I don't know if I should be excited about GW writing more about them :sweat:

2 hours ago, KaosRaptor said:

Are Robbie MacNiven's books usually well received? Never read any of his stuff but Exorcists are my chapter so I may look at picking up Oaths of Damnation.

I wasn't exactly stoked with how they were written in the White Dwarf Index Astartes a while back, so I don't know if I should be excited about GW writing more about them :sweat:

I enjoyed his White Scar novel The Last Hunt and his two Carcharodons books are well loved by the community as far as I am aware.

8 hours ago, LemartestheLost said:

Agreed, that cover is fantastic! Apparently his other novel, King of the Spoil, is excellent and funnily enough it’s next up in my “to read” pile as soon as I finish Vraks.

It’s great in lots of ways, not least the way it explores the real, practical implications the Cult Mechanicus has on the life of everyday folk.

I really miss Warhammer Crime…

And on the subject of Robbie McNiven- he’s pretty consistently good. His background in military history shines through too- notably in his AoS ‘Scourge of Fate’- and his combat scenes are top notch. 

On 7/24/2024 at 1:29 AM, mawhis said:

Does anyone know if we'll ever get a Horus Lupercal Primarchs book? It's the only one left now, and Sanguinius was released over 18 months ago. 

McNeill didn't mention it (or anything else) in his last interview, so maybe it went back to the drawing board, maybe it's been scrapped entirely and not happening, maybe it'll come out in 2028, maybe it'll actually be eight hundred pages of Tarik Torgaddon slapping ass and kicking butt with his Mournibros. Nobody knows!

17 hours ago, KaosRaptor said:

I think he's a perfectly fine author. I wasnt as impressed as some of the people here, but I generally find I have higher standards or am just more critical than most here. 

On 7/24/2024 at 4:51 PM, DarkChaplain said:

I guess Denny can finally talk about this now rather than just hinting about something being close, huh? :')

Yep! Very pleased Above and Beyond has been revealed. It’s been long in the works (and is my longest novel to date)

… Not much else to say at this point, other than I hope readers enjoy it. The Shard stories are my favourites (of my stuff anyway!)

Edited by Denny

11 minutes ago, Denny said:

Yep! Very pleased Above and Beyond has been revealed. It’s been long in the works (and is my longest novel to date)

… Not much else to say at this point, other than I hope readers enjoy it. The Shard stories are my favourites (of my stuff anyway!)

Congrats on the publication, Denny! :thumbsup: