Is it a breach of protocol to give models extra weapons that are just for aesthetics?

hd3
Go to solution Solved by Grotsmasha,

I wasn't sure where to put this but I wanted to ask, is it a breach of protocol to give models extra weapons that are just for aesthetics?

Im just finishing up my havocs and I gave them all lascannons, so they all have an empty hand on the right arm. Which seems a bit boring visually. I was going to harvest a plasma pistol or chainsword from my bits box and put that on it instead. Gameplay wise obviously they'd only be armed with the lascannon. But is that a violation of the rules? Are people likely to get snippy with me for having a plasma pistol on my havoc if I say it's just for looks?

• Solution

It really depends on who you're playing with. If it's predominantly just you and buddies, it will be fine. However if you're planning on playing people competively, some will get their panties in a bunch about it.

My suggestion is to stick to bolt pistols and knives/chainswords as Space Marines are assumed to always have a bolt pistol and ccw weapon.

Additionally you could look at grisly trophies like skulls or severed heads.

6 minutes ago, Grotsmasha said:

It really depends on who you're playing with. If it's predominantly just you and buddies, it will be fine. However if you're planning on playing people competively, some will get their panties in a bunch about it.

My suggestion is to stick to bolt pistols and knives/chainswords as Space Marines are assumed to always have a bolt pistol and ccw weapon.

Additionally you could look at grisly trophies like skulls or severed heads.

That's a great idea! I'll look at my heads and then otherwise probably do the chainsword

On 12/10/2023 at 5:43 AM, hd3 said:

I wasn't sure where to put this but I wanted to ask, is it a breach of protocol to give models extra weapons that are just for aesthetics?

Im just finishing up my havocs and I gave them all lascannons, so they all have an empty hand on the right arm. Which seems a bit boring visually. I was going to harvest a plasma pistol or chainsword from my bits box and put that on it instead. Gameplay wise obviously they'd only be armed with the lascannon. But is that a violation of the rules? Are people likely to get snippy with me for having a plasma pistol on my havoc if I say it's just for looks?

There's also the option of handheld auspices or pointing hands/fists held up from loyalist tactical squad kits too!
Also for variety you could always give one a rather nasty looking slightly mutated arm or bionic replacement depending on the aesthetics of your army (Iron Warriors would love a bionic arm, for example, whereas word bearers might appreciate the... "blessing" of a slightly claw-like arm!).

My Angry Marines with a free hand make rude gestures and no one complains about the "recovered relics" my Blood Raven are armed with.  I have seen far more talented painters than I could ever dream of being having their models holding various brands of liquor. 

On a more serious note, trophies of various kinds always work well.  If you have foes you play on a regular basis and the Havocs have done well you can add severed limbs or heads painted in their paint schemes.  You could also add ammo to the free hand, which would require a little creativity to make a power cell on a handle.  If you have a display board idea you can add extras to units that tie them to a specific slot on the board; I have seen that done and it always impresses judges.

I've never had an issue with going the extra step with modelling. As long as what's supposed to be represented is represented, you're golden. No one will mind if a unit that doesn't have a Chainsword has a Chainsword, particularly units like Havocs. It's not like they'll be put off charging Lashavocs over having a Chainsword anyway. The only way this would get confusing for a player is if they've either never played against your army before (and it's not as if you don't do a quick overview of your army before a game anyway) or you're running a mixed squad built with Autocannons and Missile launchers and saying they're Lascannons and Chaincannons. 

I think it depends on the weapon and what options the actual unit has. For instance, a tank commander holding a pistol isn't an issue as A: it's tiny and B: it's not going to cause any confusion with the actual options available to the tank. Likewise I'm making an LR Exterminator counts-as tank, and that has a purely aesthetic hull-mounted lasgun on it; not an issue because again, it's absolutely tiny in comparison to its actual weapons and it's not an option the real tank can take anyway. If the same tank had a Punisher gatling cannon too, that might be a bit of a problem as that could cause confusion.

No, not at all. But careful with some people,specially in tournaments or out of your group of players or club. Some "competitive" players are quite,err, annoying and  troublesome.

Remember:Rule of Cool always rules.

Edited by AGRAMAR