Tyranid Unit of the Week 10th Ed Tyrant Guard

Xenith

++Tyrant Guard++
nids background.PNG

one kit 2 very different units. how do they fair? dakka and sheild. 

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)? And at what points restrictions?
  • What size unit? Will you be running multiple units?
  • What Enhancements, Hyper Adaptations and Stratagems do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how
Edited by Xenith

Tyrant guard, for me, were meant to babysit the Neurotyrant. They slow the Hive Tyrant down too much and limit him, while the Neuro is also M6. The neuro also fixes their major issue which is poor WS, especially on the only weapon with a profile worth thinking about. Again though, the question is whether to take 3 tyrant guard for 95pts, or just another neurotyrant for 105.

Edited by Xenith

for me the issue is when you combine you are getting into the catagory of why not just get a tyrant. the neuro does not want to be in cc, guard do not want to be at range. if they stil had spine sheilds... wed be on a real winner. but i feel like its just not quite the best fit for either. and theres nothing thats a great fit. fewer better quality attacks works better for this if doing it ie crusher claws. but yeah not an impressive unit to me atm.  the free fnp to attached hopls more for the likes of the swarmlord but  but not the worst for everyone to get access.

I value the extra 2" movement too much to ever stick a tyrant chassis with them - they should really have M8", I just remembered that tyrnts are T10 also, so guard drop the HT's T down to 8 while he's with them. -2M and -2T seems a bad trade off! 

The Neurotyrant initially seems to want to be at range, however it gives great benefits to the unit, but also can fire the ranged weapon in, and out of melee as it's a MONSTER, and importantly doesn't care about the -1 to hit due to torrent. The neuro feels like it should be pretty squishy, in the same way as a neurothrope, but it's still T8 4++ with a few wounds. I'm experimenting with running one forwards with the HG to get into melee faster.

the thing ive been thinking is though that the tyrant dosent loose his movement... they just have to maintain coherancy.... ive not played with it but  i do want to play with the deployment to see how difficult it is to work. guard in front, tyrant behind, a second turn chaarge should be possible.

kinda wish we could join both to a unit as much better stacks that dont seem overly broken?

But by putting the tyrant behind the guard you've already lost 2-4" of movement up the table :sweat:

With the size of the tyrants base, you might be able to just have them all together on the front line, and it'll maybe be 2 turns of movement before the guard risk being left behind due to the 60mm base on the tyrant? I'd assumed that units moved at the speed of the slowest model, so this is definitely good to know and will help in some situations were the tyrant can move 8 in a certain direction to get at something they might not have originally been able to. 

Iv not seen a restriction on such to slowest whilst that has been an issue before its so rare now... tyrant may be a case thats not elsewhere... i dont think its particularly advantageous. Prob more useful with the winged prime in warriors...