Night Lords Drop pod assault 3k

Galron

I decided to push my DA towards a Steel fist list and make my Night Lords something other than the ubiquitous Terror Assault. We currently play one shooting reaction per unit per turn and during an upcoming campaign it will be 1 dreadnought per 1000 points. I think we are also going to use SN's Heresy house rule pack that they just released as well. So that being the case, here is the list I am working towards. 

Sevetar with 10 Tartaros Terminator Command Squad grenade harness, four thunder hammers, 2 paired lightning claws,  5 power weapons, 3 combi-grenade launchers.  

riding in Kharybdis

Chaplain or champion in Tartaros armor with lord of murder and chainglaive. (rides with contekar)

Tactical Squad 10 + art armor in a drop pod

Tactical squad 10 + art armor in a drop pod

Tactical Support Squad 10 + art armor and plasma guns in a drop pod preysight, trophies of judgement

Contekar Terminators x5 + claw in a Dread Claw

Contemptor with gravis melta, claw with melta,  preysight + dread claw

Seekers x10 + art armor in a drop pod preysight, trophies of judgement

Leviathan with melta lance + claw, heavy flamers(points issue) in a dread claw preysight

The goal is high threat target saturation. With only Sevetar and his unit getting the charge on turn one. I included the combi-grenade launchers just to try and get a pin off on my target. The trophies are for extra fear effects. 

Edit: Because I second guess myself a lot, I think I might build and paint a tactical support squad using melta guns after I finish everything else(I have the parts.). I might have a campaign coming up and would like to be able to survive in case there are large numbers of vehicles.

Edit Edit: I guess the new FAQ means I need to change around my chaplain slightly. I guess I will play his glaive as a power axe. 

Update: So far complete: 2 Tac squads, seeker squad, TSS with plasma, leviathan 2/3rd done, Tartaros built and half painted, all drop pods in possession and built barring the Kharybdis which needs to be put together. I own the rest but they are still in boxes.

Edited by Galron

• 3 months later...

Changed a few things around as I have had a bit of time to think.

Swapped out the Chappie for a Libby in termy armor to ride with the contekar in the dreadclaw with telepathy.

I know its cheesy but in my defense I am pretty much dropping them and its simply preventing the unit they are shooting at from returning fire since they cant charge the turn they get out of the dread claw.

The one I am very questionable of is the seeker squad. I am seriously debating dropping the seekers and replacing them with a 5 man meltagun TSS squad with prey sight for the same cost. Its only 5 shots but its 5 anti-armor shots vs anti-infantry which isnt in too short of supply. 

Off the top of my head: 

-You don't really need Sevatar as his Deep Strike ability is utterly wasted in this List.

-Terminator Command Squad caps at 5 guys 

-I think you have too many points in expensive pods 

Posted (edited)

Oh wow. Did not know that about the command squads. Battle scribe just lets me throw ten dudes in. Hmm Could have sworn I have seen video bat reps with 10 man command squads. I'll have to hunt the several I have seen and see how they pull it off.

-I bring Sevie because its my favorite model and 30k/40k character. So purely for cool factor

-Dont have much of a choice in the pods since both the dreads and the termies need them. Although one correction is the Levi is in a dreadnought Drop pod.

-Now I need to reconfigure a fair bit of points. Still want to bring the Kharybdis for the assault on drop ability, just need to figure out what to put with Sevie to pull it off. 

EDIT: Ahhh it was a 10 man Contekar squad.

So I changed things around a bit:

Libby in Tartros armor- telepathy

Sevatar

8 man contekar command squad with claw + prey sight

Contemptor preysight- melta + claw and preysight- dreadclaw

Tartaros terminator squad x5 3 thunder hammers, 2 power axes, 5 combi-grenade launchers, dread claw

Terror Squad 2 Rotor cannons, 3 volkite chargers(I can tweak the ratio pretty easy, their purpose is to cause pinning), drop pod, prey sight

2 Tactical squads drop pods, vexilla

Tactical support Squad x8 vexilla, drop pod, plasma guns, art armor on sgt + prey sight

Tactical support Squad x 5 drop pod, melta guns + prey sight

Kharybdis

Leviathan with melta lance and claw+ prey sight dreadnought drop pod

So now I am up to 5 regular pods, 2 dreadclaws, 1 dreadnought drop pod, kharybdis. Should spread the opponents fire out pretty thin and get quite a few pins on the opening round. The terror squad was kind of a throw in and at 107 points is weirdly the cheapest unit in the list. I could also simply drop them, add my plasma guys back and add a few more melta guys.

Edited by Galron

I'd honestly cut the regular terminators (and their expensive pod) and get more short-ranged firepower.

Your Army has no way to enforce Night-fighting and will operate within 24" inches of your opponent so you can save a lot of points by cutting preysight.

I think the big contekar squad needs another anti-dreadnought weapon and since they don't get a legion standard I think a Thunder hammer Herald would be excellent there 

Edit: I'd replace the Terrorsquad with Nemesis-Veterans as they do a similar Job at not much of a price increase and better.

Edited by Razorblade

I will have a look then. Not even familiar with nemesis veterans. What are they listed under, I dont see them in battle scribe?

I have the model for the herald now lol. Been working on that 10 man command squad for almost six months(I work at a glacially slow pace).

I agree in theory over the prey sight but when in night fight on turn 1 I need my shooting to be as devastating as possible for that alpha strike and a -1 to hit for my shooting units is bad. 

I dropped Sevetar down to my next favorite named character, Kheron Ophion which saved me quite a few points, added a herald. He doesnt get the option of a contekar retinue so I added them as an elite choice. Now I have a fair bit of points after dropping the tartaros and dreadclaw. 319 to be exact. I can add my 10 man seekers back and possible a death storm DP

2 hours ago, Galron said:

I will have a look then. Not even familiar with nemesis veterans. What are they listed under, I dont see them in battle scribe?

Veterans with Nemesis Bolters, sorry for being unclear.  :D

Posted (edited)

Problem with the nemesis bolters is they are heavy so will be snap shooting the turn they drop on which is arguably the most important turn for everyone to be performing at top efficiency. Thinking the Seekers will work instead. I have ten built and painted I suddenly found out and remembered yesterday when I put my tartaros back in the box since I wouldnt be using them lol.

So - Removed the Tartaros terminators and dread claw

Sevetar

Added- Herald in Tartaros armor with thunder hammer

10 seekers in drop pod

1 Death Storm

Kheron Ophion using Sevetar's model. Thats a big death star 

Or I could skip the seekers and death storm and bring another contemptor or Deredeo in a dreadclaw. Still within the typical 1 per 1k limit but it is borderline. Note the only reason I am using dread claws is because I have dread claws. I need to print two dreadnought drop pods and my printer is busy printing up old world stuff its going to take me years to get to

Edited by Galron

5 hours ago, Galron said:

Problem with the nemesis bolters is they are heavy so will be snap shooting the turn they drop on which is arguably the most important turn for everyone to be performing at top efficiency. Thinking the Seekers will work instead.

Veterans are relentless ;)

And while Seekers, too, can snipe, they cannot pin and aren't nearly as good in a fight

Interesting. Whew those boys are expensive. Think I am going to stick with a Plasma Deredeo with full guns and the pinning missiles for the time being, plus I physically own a deredeo and would have to print a new squad of vets. Just going to use the Dreadclaws as Dreadnought drop pods in the short term since I have three and will replace them when I can.