Removing Model Causalities Outside of Weapon Range

Newbiticus

Can you remove casualties from a range attack from outside of the attacking weapons range?  Same question for close combat, there is no longer a “range” to close combat attacks as long as the model is able to attack correct?

I have gone through the commentary and the rule book seeking clarification and I am not sure if I am missing the clarification or mixing in rules from previous editions.  

I am pretty sure that the answer yes and I am just remembering old rules (it’s been at least a decade since I regularly played)?

It's on page 22 of the Core Rules under Allocating Attacks: 

"If a model in the target unit has already lost one or more
wounds, or has already had attacks allocated to it this phase,
that attack must be allocated to that model. Otherwise, that
attack can be allocated to any model in the target unit. Note
that it does not matter if that model is visible to or within
range/Engagement Range of the attacking model.
"

(emphasis added)

• 2 weeks later...

in 40k, if you can see and are in range of one model, you can wipe the unit.

Heresy is the exact opposite where only models in range and line of sight can have wounds allocated to them. 

On a related note, what happens if I'm firing at a tank that's just at the limit of my range - the front of the tank is out of sight, but in range; the back of the tank is visible but out of range.

So the tank is both visible and in range, but I'm not in range of the bits I can see. Can I shoot the tank?

This came up in a fairly recent game, and I think we rolled for it because it wasn't a big deal. But I'm curious to know if anyone has a clear answer.

If the unit is in range and visible to the attacking unit, then you're fine. Which part of the model is visible isn't an issue, it just means the unit is not fully visible. 

For our gaming group, we have the 1/4 inch rule in case of those moments where measuring if a target is in range isn't clear for whatever reason. We move the tape measure 1/4 inch and if the measurement still seems unsure its out. if the 1/4 inch adjustment puts it in, then its in.