Is A Full Deathwing Army Viable?

NTaW

Deathwing Terminators were some of the first GW models I ever saw, thanks to a childhood friend owning their expansion for 1st edition Space Hulk. Back during 5th (and maybe 6th-7th?) edition when there was the Deathwing Assault rule allowing for T1 deep strikes I coupled the few models I had with some BA Drop Pods for one single glorious "Angels of Death" game but that was that. Now I've found myself with just over 25 of these glorious models and I'm wondering: with 10th edition's take what you want list building, could a full Deathwing army be viable? I'm looking at likely playing (another) Legends army since I don't think Command Squads will survive into the new book and because I'd like to use Mortis Dreadnoughts for fire support, trying to keep an Inner Circle/1st Company vibe. This is what my target for the collection looks like:

Belial

Chaplain in TDA

Deathwing Strikemaster

10x Deathwing Knights

10x Deathwing Command Squad - 2x TH/SS, 2X PC

5x Deathwing Terminators - CML

2x Mortis Dreadnoughts - Lascannons or Autocannons

This comes out to 1990 points right now, so I figure if points drop a bit I can add in an Enhancement or two, and if points go up a bit I can drop a character or two. Ultimately I'm going to finish the collection as planned regardless because I like it, but it would also be cool if I could play it without being completely steamrolled every time.

Thanks for reading!

I think it is viable. You can even expand the roster a bit as Land Raiders and other flavours of Dreadnought can be inducted into the DW.

Just be aware that DW Command Squads may be going away as the new DA upgrade sprue does not appear to include Apothecary or Ancient bits. This has led many people to assume that the Command squads are going away. The recent SM Codex removed the regular Command Squad and the replacement (Company Heroes) does not include an Apothecary option.

I'm pretty content to use Legends datasheets, glad that they exist really.

I think with the 50% Reserves cap at least one of the two 10-model squads will always be walking up the battlefield, which is sort of nerve-wracking. Perhaps when the Codex is released there will be a Deathwing Detachment (or at least DW-specific strats) and/or a slight points drop. I'm going to focus on getting this painted and ready in the new year:

Deathwing Strikemaster

5x Deathwing Knights

5x Deathwing Command Squad - 2x TH/SS