Make a Space Marine Detachment

L30n1d4s

If you could make your own Space Marine detachment, how would you make it?

Two rules:

1) The detachment has a coherent theme to it

2) Like other detachments, it contains 1 Detachment Trait, 4 Enhancements, and 6 Stratagems

Here is my stab at making my own Space Marine Detachment:

"WAR SHIELD TASK FORCE"

*THEME: Seizing and then defending/counter-attacking to protect critical points on the battlefield (i.e. Objectives and areas claimed by friendly Ancients with their Banners)

Detachment Trait:

While a friendly Adeptus Astartes non-vehicle unit is within 3" of either an Objective or 3" of a friendly ANCIENT model, its shooting and melee attacks gain -1AP

Stratagems:

1 - Veteran Bodyguards (2CP) -- In the Shooting or Fight Phase, select a Terminator, Sternguard, Bladeguard, or Company Heroes unit that includes at least one Ancient model. Until the end of the phase, that unit can re-roll to Wound rolls.

2 - Embodiment of the Emperor's Glory (1CP) -- In your Command Phase, select one Ancient model in your army. Until the start of your next Command Phase, friendly Adeptus Astartes non-Vehicle units gain -1AP to their attacks if they are within 6" of that model (instead of the normal 3" range for getting this benefit).

3 - Defend at All Costs! (1CP) -- In your Charge phase, select on friendly Adeptus Astartes unit that arrived from reserves this turn and is within 9" of an Objective or a friendly Ancient model. Until then end of the turn, that unit gains +1" to its charge rolls and +1 Damage for its melee weapons.

4 - Recover the Standard! (1CP) -- At any time, select one friendly Ancient model that was destroyed by enemy attacks. Until the end of the battle, all Adeptus Astartes models in your army gain +1 to Hit and +1 to Wound when making attacks against the enemy unit that killed this Ancient model.

5 - Lead by Example (1CP) -- In the Shooting or Fight phase, select one friendly Adeptus Astartes unit that contains an Ancient model. If that unit successfully hits one or more enemy units with its shooting or melee attacks, select one of the enemy units that were hit. Until the end of the phase, friendly Adeptus Astartes units gained Sustained Hits 1 for any attacks against that selected enemy unit.

6 - Armour of Contempt (1CP) -- Just like every other Space Marine detachment ;)

Enhancements:

1 - Banner of Fortitude (+30 points) -- Ancient model only. Models in the unit that the Ancient is attached to gains FNP(6+), and the Ancient model gains FNP(4+).

2 - Veteran Commander (+20 points) -- Captain model only. Each turn in your Command Phase, if this model is on the battlefield, roll a D6. On a 4+, gain a Command Point (if the Captain is attached to a Company Heroes squad, gain a Command Point on a roll of 2+ instead)

3 - Blade of Defiance (+20 points) -- Any Adeptus Astartes character model. Model's melee weapons gain +1 attack, -1AP, and +1 Damage. If the model is within 3" of a friendly Ancient model, gain +2 attacks, -2AP, and +2 Damage for its melee weapons instead.

4 - Beacon of the Emperor's Grace (+15 points) -- Ancient model only. Once per battle, at the end of your opponent's Charge phase, select one friendly Adeptus Astartes infantry unit that is in Reserves, then select one enemy unit that made a Charge move against the bearer's unit this phase. Set that friendly Adeptus Astartes infantry unit up on the battlefield within engagement range of that enemy unit (note, this can allow a friendly unit to arrive from Reserves on turn 1, even if it normally could not arrive from reserves until later).

Edited by L30n1d4s

Name: First Company

Theme: Make a first company detachment that is actually useable. Make a terminator army balanced and fun. Hopefully not OP.

Detachment Trait: Terminators can deepstrike 7 inches away from the enemy.

Stratagems:

No quarter (2CP): +1 to wound in CC. Invulnerable saves are reduced by 1.

Bolter storm (2CP): double the rapid fire of storm bolters for selected terminator unit.

Earn these shields (2CP): Assault terminators only with storm shields. Minus 1 to hit and if in melee also minus 1 to wound.

Veteran Instincts (1/2CP): Worsen AP by 1 and reduce damage by 1. 1CP for 5 or less 2 CP for 6 or more.

Enhancements:

Archeotech triangulator 30 pts. Captain, Chaplain or Librarian in terminator armour only. At the end of the movement phase if the model/unit hasn't moved and is not in engagement range then the model and the unit he is attached to can be put into deepstrike.

Hellhammer cyclone missile launcher 20 pts. Replaces cyclone missile launcher with following profile:

36", A4, 3+, S12, AP-2, D3+3

Banner of the 1st 35 pts. Terminator ancient only. Adds +1 OC to every terminator in the Unit. Once per battle you can raise the banner. This adds +1 to all melee attacks for each model within the unit. 

Voidblade 10 pts. Terminator captain only. Replaces relic weapon with following profile

A7, 2+, S6, AP-2, D2. Model also gains precision. 

Hopefully not too OP and makes the first company a bit more viable.

Edited by Subtleknife

16 hours ago, Subtleknife said:

Name: First Company

Theme: Make a first company detachment that is actually useable. Make a terminator army balanced and fun. Hopefully not OP.

Detachment Trait: Terminators can deepstrike 7 inches away from the enemy.

Stratagems:

No quarter (2CP): +1 to wound in CC. Invulnerable saves are reduced by 1.

Bolter storm (2CP): double the rapid fire of storm bolters for selected terminator unit.

Earn these shields (2CP): Assault terminators only with storm shields. Minus 1 to hit and if in melee also minus 1 to wound.

Veteran Instincts (1/2CP): Worsen AP by 1 and reduce damage by 1. 1CP for 5 or less 2 CP for 6 or more.

Enhancements:

Archeotech triangulator 30 pts. Captain, Chaplain or Librarian in terminator armour only. At the end of the movement phase if the model/unit hasn't moved and is not in engagement range then the model and the unit he is attached to can be put into deepstrike.

Hellhammer cyclone missile launcher 20 pts. Replaces cyclone missile launcher with following profile:

36", A4, 3+, S12, AP-2, D3+3

Banner of the 1st 35 pts. Terminator ancient only. Adds +1 OC to every terminator in the Unit. Once per battle you can raise the banner. This adds +1 to all melee attacks for each model within the unit. 

Voidblade 10 pts. Terminator captain only. Replaces relic weapon with following profile

A7, 2+, S6, AP-2, D2. Model also gains precision. 

Hopefully not too OP and makes the first company a bit more viable.

I'd like to suggest some amendments to your proposed detachment, if i may be so bold.

'Detachment Trait: Pick a keyword from one of the below

-Battleline

-Vehicle

-Mounted

-Fly

-Monster

Instead of selecting a single enemy unit to be your army's Oath of Moment target, Adeptus Astartes units from your army may use Oath of Moment against enemy units with the chosen keyword.'

(I've gone with "Adeptus Astartes units from your army" as opposed to more specifically 'veteran units' as this is in keeping with other detachments from the codex, but thematically restricting the detachment trait would fit better and potentially be more balanced.)

Additional Stratagem;

Terminatus Strike (1CP): Select an enemy unit on the battlefield. Terminators can deepstrike 7 inches away from that enemy unit.

(This would bring the strats for the quoted detachment to six, including AoC.)

They are good changes. The reason I picked the trait to apply to terminators only is to base it exclusively around terminators. Although, i agree that might be too restricting as not all 1st companies will be solely terminators so yours is a nice compromise too. 

Additional Stratagem...turns out I cant count :biggrin:. I was doing it on my phone so didn't keep track but that is a nice replacement if you change the traits. 

I suppose it depends on what you want when you are designing the detachment, a mono list with terminators only or a more varied first company list. I suppose from a lore perspective yours is more flexible in that regard but I like the idea of an entire terminator army dropping en masse close to the enemy - Im also not fond of Oath in general so I would probably prefer to get away from it. 

Edited by Subtleknife

I suppose it could be worded like the current 1st company detachment strats which apply to 'veteran' units broadly, so could apply to Terminator only list but not leave out the option for sternguard, vanguard etc.

Truth be told, the detachment trait i proposed i took from a homebrew idea for OoM, but took inspiration from the old Space Wolf sagas one could give to Lone Wolves, but realise mine is maybe closer to the old 'Preferred Enemy' special rule, or some amalgamation. I too am not a fan of OoM. I like the concept but in practice it doesn't apply well. The OG version was to swingy in effectiveness and the new one feels like weak sauce, hence the points drop (imo). 

But to keep on subject, @L30n1d4s detachment. I think ancients are under-served in terms of the rules they have and their place in the codex more broadly, so seeing something like this which brings them to the fore is very nice.

I can foresee a 'detachment builder' of somekind in the future. theres a clear format to what one contains and how it should have a theme. similar to how there was a 'chapter builder' in previous editions.

Oh boy, maybe a reason to actually finish what I was working on in my signature!

• Blackingwing Assassination Talon detachment
    • Raven Guard First Company known to deploy task forces all in Phobos armour
    • Sternguard your Phobos, they all gain Devastating Wounds on equipped weapons
  • Trifold Path of Shadow detachment
    • When Precision, Stealth, and Ambush all get together. Most well known in the 2nd Company, but can happen in other ways too.
    • The strats are not as impactful during the game, but the detachment rule is quite strong. You don't get strategic reserves, but can redeploy the strategic reserves points-of-units instead.
  • Raven's Jest detachment
    • When the Raven Guard go loud, they go loud. Common for the 8th Company "The Unseen" who modify their jump packs to be louder. Also a good fit for anyone who wants to lean into the Sable Brand, or the  viciousness shown by certain successor chapters (*cough* Carcharadons *cough*)
    • Close combat oriented, but no major movement bonuses; works best with jump pack troops.

@L30n1d4s, I love it.

@Subtleknife, I love it, though maybe change the name to something like "Terminator Boarding Force"? The theme really reminds me of Terminators teleporting onto Space Hulks or other Zones Mortalis.

Hunters of Chogoris detachment

Tempest Strike Force

Kardunn Bastion Force

Phalanx Intervention Force

Breach Warder Force

Voidstrike Force

Edited by jaxom
Added Raven Guard ideas and links