=] Vote for The Forge's 2024 Event [=

Mid-Year Forge Event Poll  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As we head into the new year, The Mods down in The Forge are exploring the options for the mid-year, big 3 Month Event. We though maybe you all could help us make that decision.

There's a few options, what say you all?

Edited by Grotsmasha

For my part (and I don't mean to be a stick in the mud), I'd avoid making Heresy Era the focus for any kind of event- it just excludes too many vital and important aspects of the 40k universe, include a large number of factions- including but not limited to virtually all Xenos factions.

Whatever the event is, it should be able to accommodate Heresy Era models, but should not be limited to them exclusively. The more players you can include, the more participation in the event.

That said, my track record for success in painting challenges is pretty spotty, and this year, I may try rely more on intrinsic motivators; while challenges have helped me achieve painting goals, they've also made me feel bad when I fail.  

27 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

I'd say Call to Arms because it can be pretty open, though I guess it does exclude hersey only players?

Loyalists and Traitors were included in the Imperium and Chaos Strongholds, but there was only 3 Heresy participants all of the 2023 Call to Arms Strongholds. Perhaps the Heresy Forum should have either it's own Heresy Stronghold, or Loyalist and Traitor Strongholds, next time?

27 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

Is a return of E Tenebrae Lux just too administratively painful? Or is A Call to Arms similar? Sorry haven’t really followed all the events. I wish the Necromunda terrain junk modelling event had a few more participants…

ETL is Captain Semper's thing and, AND WAY TOO data heavy for me to even attempt to organise and recreate.

4 minutes ago, Grotsmasha said:

ETL is Captain Semper's thing and, AND WAY TOO data heavy for me to even attempt to organise and recreate.

So you’re saying I’ve got to travel to Greece, track down Captain Semper in hiding, and persuade him to come out of retirement for “one last job”…?

I voted Call to Arms, as that seemed to work well. I would however suggest that in addition to the three 40k Strongholds there should be a fourth one, a catch all for all the other games, from Necromunda and Kill Team, to the EPIC scale games and I guess 30k in general as well. All of these have a smaller number of active hobbyist then I suspect the three 40k super factions, but if we group them all together then hopefully they have decent numbers to stand as an approximate collective equal.  

18 minutes ago, Trokair said:

I voted Call to Arms, as that seemed to work well. I would however suggest that in addition to the three 40k Strongholds there should be a fourth one, a catch all for all the other games, from Necromunda and Kill Team, to the EPIC scale games and I guess 30k in general as well. All of these have a smaller number of active hobbyist then I suspect the three 40k super factions, but if we group them all together then hopefully they have decent numbers to stand as an approximate collective equal.  

Good call, but to follow up on that, if it was an LPC, that way the RPG forum could nominate a built character model too, if they wanted....

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I really enjoyed that event we did a couple of years ago where people had to paint a model from someone else’s homebrew Space Marine Chapter. I can’t recall the name at the moment but it was fun because there was a surprise element and you were painting a scheme you wouldn’t normally paint. 

It could be feasibly expanded to pretty much any faction for people to design their own colour scheme for someone else to paint. 

I understand people may not have the necessary models though if they are randomly assigned a pairing so that could be a barrier.

Edited by MARK0SIAN

2 hours ago, MARK0SIAN said:

I really enjoyed that event we did a couple of years ago where people had to paint a model from someone else’s homebrew Space Marine Chapter. I can’t recall the name at the moment but it was fun because there was a surprise element and you were painting a scheme you wouldn’t normally paint. 

It could be feasibly expanded to pretty much any faction for people to design their own colour scheme for someone else to paint. 

I understand people may not have the necessary models though if they are randomly assigned a pairing so that could be a barrier.

This is the Liber Astartes Swap Challenge, and is a) more targeted towards the Liberites for obvious reasons, and b) suggestions to do other armies aside from Loyalist and Chaotic Astartes have been raised before, and shot down by the Liber mod team (of which I am a part).

As you speculate, not everyone is going to have the requisite models, and the Liber staff did not and does not want to a) put an unnecessary burden on anyone to go out and buy new models, of which they are likely only to use one or two, especially if they sign up to do multiple swaps (esp as GW doesn't really do the 'hey, wanna buy three marines for 10 bucks? Five guard for 10 bucks? etc etc filler troops like they used to do), and b) arranging and sorting who CREATED what, who HAS what, who is willing to use what, etc etc. It was enough of a headache with just chaos marines, firstborn marines, and primaris marines--not everyone has, or wants, to paint Primaris, for example, or vice versa for firstborn, or chaos marines. Expanding it to include EVERY faction on the board would necessitate large numbers of spreadsheets, and potentially some disappointment from the frater who play more niche armies.

All that said, it might be worth running that again, though as I recall it's primarily run in the Oct-Dec/Jan timeframe, which we are obviously now at the tail end of... I'll bring it up with the other Liber mods, though, and see what shakes out :thumbsup:

An alternative might be the Iron Gauntlet, or adding a similar optional aspect to the Iron Gauntlet, where Frater can sign up for a swap or do 'treats' (to borrow a phrase from writing-swap exchanges elsewhere), where they paint a model and then go 'surprise!' to the frater who's army they painted. Of course, this would require the Iron Gauntlet to be RUN, which is a whole ordeal in and of itself. Another thing to discuss with the team.

Amusingly enough @Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch I had been considering recently making a return to the Liber (its been too long) and seeing if I could run the Iron Gauntlet again.  I would probably run it closer to its original form.  But for the painting side of things a swap part could be interesting.  But that is a discussion for a different post.  I might write up a proposed challenge brief and send it through to you guys (the Liber Mods).

As for the challenge here I am very much leaning towards the Call to Arms style event.  Or a LPC one.  Faction/Game system specific events don't seem to work as well.  In saying that I do like that usually around the bigger challenges smaller forum specific ones start.

If i recall correctly when i joined these forums a very long time ago there was a tournament... something along the lines of build a character. 100 points. Build the model. Each forum fought them out(3 rounds each)and someone fluffed out each fight til you were knocked out or won. I loved it and still have my artificer armoured storm angels captain and rember it faintly but fondly... am sure its a huge ammount of admin work but it was awsome

There's been a few successful faction-specific or more limited events in the past. Royal Awakening has been pretty popular for Necrons, as was Anger and Arrogance between Chaos and Eldar. Those are normally run more in those respective forums though, so something more generic like Call to Arms would be more appropriate for the forge.

I like the idea of some larger organization for Heresy beyond just being split between Imperium and Chaos. I think if both Loyalists and Traitors are in one separate bucket, perhaps with LI/AT/AI/etc. as @Trokair mentioned before, it may allow us to more easily organize the Age of Darkness forum into participation.

Age of Darkness/30k is quite active in modeling and painting right now in that forum, but I think it's just not so appealing to just be shoved with 40k space marines/imperium for instance.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion
grammar

29 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

There's been a few successful faction-specific or more limited events in the past. Royal Awakening has been pretty popular for Necrons, as was Anger and Arrogance between Chaos and Eldar. Those are normally run more in those respective forums though, so something more generic like Call to Arms would be more appropriate for the forge.

I like the idea of some larger organization for Heresy beyond just being split between Imperium and Chaos. I think if both Loyalists and Traitors are in one separate bucket, perhaps with LI/AT/AI/etc. as @Trokair mentioned before, it may allow us to more easily organize the Age of Darkness forum into participation.

Age of Darkness/30k is quite active in modeling and painting right now in that forum, but I think it's just not so appealing to just be shoved with 40k space marines/imperium for instance.

I'm not opposed to having the AoD, LI, AT, AI all in one Stronghold

2 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

I'm not opposed to having the AoD, LI, AT, AI all in one Stronghold

Regardless of the eventual pick of competition as a vote, I can help get the AoD/etc. crew involved on that forum if there's a well defined category for them to contribute to. The various hobby chats are very strong threads there.

Call to arms with some of the games/sub-forums split up gets my vote, I have a lot of Heresy stuff (both loyalist and traitor) that needs building and painting.

Personally, I like the big events that cover all forums. Really motivates me to get loads of grey plastic painted. I do partake in smaller events too where I can, but as Azaiel mentions, the ones where any miniature is fair game gets my vote.