Fun units

Vanguard Vets. They've also been doing the business for me pretty well too!

Melee firstborn dreads have also done well for me. My ironclad (when he could be run as such) was fantastic in my September RTT (walked through 2 sagitaurs and 3/4 of a Hekaton by himself!), and the couple times I've run him as a Furioso with a pair of fists he was great! He was a great counter-charge unit for my heavy intercessors in a 1000 point game against Black Templars. People don't expect it to punch as hard as a brutalis!

Edited by Paladin777

Unless specifically asked, I run the themed lists which are detailed in my signature. I only own Firstborn, so my lists are full of current and Legends units that in some cases, have served me for decades. My enjoyment stems from working out the best way to win with what I have and to push a unit to its potential. I can't steamroll opponents, but I can build to play the secondary game well enough.

Take a Drop Pod. According to the internet, it's a points that can be spent elsewhere on something that moves, shoots, etc. However, I still use Tacticals and have a habit of podding onto objectives or to get my guys up the field to do "actions". So suddenly, you have three units (with combat squads) T1 to deal with otherwise they will be getting me points. You've closed the gap between the enemy and hemmed them in, you've gone and taken the heat of something else which is moving up in a second wave, and so on. Sure, this can be done with Infiltrators(?), but I don't own those and I have no interest in buying any.

So, in my 1k Scout list, I have a Drop Pod with a single squad of Tacticals. in my 1500 Dreadnought list, I have one Pod containing two combat squads (with all the firepower) and a Dreadnought Drop Pod with cargo coming down. In my 2k troop list I am trying to get to grips with two Pods doing it with Devastators and Tactical Combat Squads.

Sure, against a top table force and player I'll probably get annihilated, but a) I don't tend to play these and b) when I do, I learn from it and how to improve on this particular theme.

What gives you enjoyment in this hobby?

On 1/2/2024 at 7:32 PM, Paladin777 said:

Vanguard Vets. They've also been doing the business for me pretty well too!

Van Vets are actually pretty competitive in an SoS detachment, particularly with a Sanguinary Priest leading them. On the charge that is 5 S6 attacks with AP-2 each.  Add a Jump Captain to the mix and you get them up to S7 on the charge. Play Red Rampage (free thanks to the Captain) and they get +1 to Wound and Lethal Hits. That will put the hurt on pretty much anything.

Moving onto more fun and fluffy stuff, I really like a Storm Raven loaded with a Brutalis Dreadnought and something killy inside (Bladeguard Vets are pretty good). It is a bit of a point sink but it one heck of an offensive package to throw in your opponent's face.

Edited by Karhedron

On 1/2/2024 at 12:25 PM, Goranged said:

Well, for those of us kind of tired of "super meta" options, what are the units you are having the most fun right now? I mean, nobody wants to lose but thinking on flavor and a more casual, relaxed game, what do you enjoy playing?

Company Heroes. 

They're kinda like a smaller Swiss Army knife unit. The fun is from two sources, first the fluff of such a unit of unique individuals accompanying your captain/marshal/character into combat. Secondly it's fun figuring out how best you want to use them? To shoot? To enter close combat? Lastly its 16 wounds, at -1 on your opponents wound rolls, to get through to get at your character. I'm playing Black Templars atm, and I could definitely run a squad of Sword Brethren with my Marshal for more in-game power, but instead I choose this unit. More fun!

22 hours ago, Eilio Tiberius said:

Company Heroes. 

They're kinda like a smaller Swiss Army knife unit. The fun is from two sources, first the fluff of such a unit of unique individuals accompanying your captain/marshal/character into combat. Secondly it's fun figuring out how best you want to use them? To shoot? To enter close combat? Lastly its 16 wounds, at -1 on your opponents wound rolls, to get through to get at your character. I'm playing Black Templars atm, and I could definitely run a squad of Sword Brethren with my Marshal for more in-game power, but instead I choose this unit. More fun!

Nice! I'm working on throwing together a Company Heroes unit using models I already have, but need to finish painting them (and build the guy with the heavy bolter). 

Not sure how meta they are, but my Jump Assault Intercessors with a captain were a lot of fun during my league. Also, just a lone unit of 3 boltstorm Aggressors. Meta would bump up the unit and add the apothecary biologis, but I enjoyed just using them by themselves. 

I really want to use a bunch of 10-man units of Assault Intercessors, each with a character, at some point.