What are your hobby plans for 2024?

Bouargh

I just finished my Black Legion last weekend with my possessed.  I finished the last ten cultists afterwards and am finishing up felgor ravenors to go with BL and my Iron Warriors.

My Iron Warriors were done but I sold off my MK3&4 marines and bought enough new MK3s to do 30 new MK 3 CSMs and 10 Chosen (breaches) and 10 Havocs. This will be next.

After that I will finally start my Space Marines.  I’ve got 3 starter sets worth (Dark Imperium, Indomitus, and Leviathan) and several different combat patrols.  I plan to do Dark Angels and Crimson Fists.  If I have too many I’ll do a small Deathwatch force to go with my AM/Inquisition.  Don’t see that happening this year though.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a massive pile of shame but its bigger than I like so hopefully I'll cut that down before adding to much.

another 8 Warhounds for AT

1 Reaver for AT

1 Imperial Knight 40/30K

2 Warglaives 40k/30k

1 Deredeo 30K

But need to add at least 1 Cerastus 40/30K & still sitting on the fence for LI, models look great just not sure on a commitment. 

On 2/2/2024 at 7:21 AM, TheArtilleryman said:

Do tell … :)

So. Many. Bits. Plus I'm buying any old Mk III tactical squads I can find, since I like them a lot more than the new ones, plus saw a Mk IV going cheap so got that. Plus I spotted some contemptors and Castraferrum dreads going cheap so had those... and then I saw an old OOP combat squad that just tugged at my nostalgia strings... and I realised I didn't have AOBR terminators, so someone had those... and someone else had a cool-looking terminator ancient, so I had that. Oh, and the obligatory hunt for Mk VIII torsos  and studded pauldrons without rims continues, along with deciding to buy a load of bolt rifle mags/scopes combos so I can give more of my guys' bolters big drum/box mags since they look cool. Long story short, I have very little self-control, especially when working night shifts.

Edited by roryokane

13 hours ago, roryokane said:

So. Many. Bits. Plus I'm buying any old Mk III tactical squads I can find, since I like them a lot more than the new ones, plus saw a Mk IV going cheap so got that. Plus I spotted some contemptors and Castraferrum dreads going cheap so had those... and then I saw an old OOP combat squad that just tugged at my nostalgia strings... and I realised I didn't have AOBR terminators, so someone had those... and someone else had a cool-looking terminator ancient, so I had that. Oh, and the obligatory hunt for Mk VIII torsos  and studded pauldrons without rims continues, along with deciding to buy a load of bolt rifle mags/scopes combos so I can give more of my guys' bolters big drum/box mags since they look cool. Long story short, I have very little self-control, especially when working night shifts.

Yeah you didn't just fall off the wagon, you leapt with all your might, hit the ground and rolled under the wheels .... :p

I've decided that I am going to buy the new HH book for the shattered legions and some auxila for allies then I am taking a very long break from the hobby. I'm not enjoying it anymore, I can't stand 10th and the general GW situation is just making getting stuff so frustrating even from FLGS. It's opening my eyes to a lot of stuff I didn't want to admit to myself as being true and I need to get away from it all I think.

4 minutes ago, Doghouse said:

I've decided that I am going to buy the new HH book for the shattered legions and some auxila for allies then I am taking a very long break from the hobby. I'm not enjoying it anymore, I can't stand 10th and the general GW situation is just making getting stuff so frustrating even from FLGS. It's opening my eyes to a lot of stuff I didn't want to admit to myself as being true and I need to get away from it all I think.

Totally get where you are coming from. My motivation got crushed, cratered, and nuked from orbit after 9th edition led into the abomination that was the 10th edition launch and Votann Index.

However, just because the wool is gone, it does not have to be the end of hobbying. If you want to keep using your minis for wargaming, might I suggest some model-agnostic rules? Or hell, even some older editions of 40k.

Turns out there are a heck of a lot of people out there just kinda having fun without letting James' clown farm decide how they spend their free time.

Well ... with the way prices are going, having one 40k army and one AoS army is looking like my endgame scenario with the hobby. I mean $70 for the new scouts box? lol. It's becoming a decision made out of principle, and money in vs value out.  

Err they are $65 my mistake, but my feelings are the same. 

Edited by Helias_Tancred

Lolz, I posted my plans for 2024 a few pages back, but now with the abomination which is the LI release I may rescind that plan and spend my money on beer for a while. 

Seems like I'm not the only one having a grumble, misery loves company :cool:

Just now, madlibrarian said:

Well, I’ve got ten terminators, ten marines, forty cultists and two knights to get finished. Once they’re done, I think I’ll not be buying anything new for quite a while! Got enough lol.

See that’s the opposite to how my brain works. I’d be saying that if I got them finished it would give me an excuse to buy more …

This weekend I finished building all my T’au and resprayed my land raider for a repaint. Everything else 40K that was part of my unpainted pile I am going to sell, which basically amounts to a bunch of old marines.

So in total for 40K I have left to paint:

5 pathfinders

5 drones

1 cadre fireblade

2 crisis battlesuits

1 grey knight with a psycannon

1 stormsurge 

Then I can get some more stuff :)

8 hours ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Lolz, I posted my plans for 2024 a few pages back, but now with the abomination which is the LI release I may rescind that plan and spend my money on beer for a while. 

Seems like I'm not the only one having a grumble, misery loves company :cool:

Still having a good time here and going strong into the new year, but I just realized that all of my hobby plans for the near-to-mid future involve something coming from a 3rd party or out of the 3D printer.

Still feels like 40k to me, but maybe James Workshop would disagree. :laugh:

1. Right now I have a 5700 point Black Templar collection (built,  based, and primed) to formally paint up.

2. I have an AoS Soulblight Gravelords (Vyrkos Vampires) 2800 point collection to finish building and prime.

3. I have several remaining pieces of fantasy themed terrain to prime and dry brush in order to allow me to host AoS games (I highly recommend Enders Toys and Battlefield in a Box terrain btw!)

4. I'm brand new to AoS so I have that learning curve ahead of me, and I'm yet to play my first game. 

But right now my priority is finishing a painting commission for a friend, and I'm a tad burnt out on dealing with AoS/Fantasy/Terrain stuff over the short term and miss my Black Templars and 40k in general! The former will never replace the latter for me when it comes to my gaming hobby.  

Edit: I'm pretty sure I want to do another space marine collection in addition to my Black Templar collection. My days of massive 9k+ collections are over. My Black Templars now sit at 6k and they are done. Going forward I still have tons of love for Blood Angels (my first 40k army), Dark Angels (owned/played), Crimson Fists (owned/played), and Raven Guard. If what Chapter Master Valrak discussed about future Blood Angel releases turns out to be true, I will probably do them again, probably no more than 4k or 5k with a focus on being thematic for them? I've sorta passed on doing Dark Angels again, I'm just not impressed with their new "refresh" or what it represents lore-wise for the chapter. A new primaris Pedro Kantor could also hook me (as well as the opportunity to kit-bash a primaris Captain Cortez!), and my love of Corax and the Raven Guard; their chapter outlook on warfare, and chapter culture, always has a hook in me as an Imperium/Marine fanboy. 

Edited by Helias_Tancred