“Mordecai’s Chosen” - Crusade Force

I just kicked off a small 6-game Crusade Campaign for the world of Hotha. It will be my Hivecult led by Primus Mordecai vs the Ynarri. 

The Theme:

Will the Hivecult succeed in taking over the planet, Ascension Day having been sparked early by the Ynarri Involvement? Or will the Ynarri succeed in stalling the cult and driving the imperials off-planet thus diverting the Tyranid threat away from this former maiden world.

Campaign.png

Posted (edited)

This is the Campaign tree. Victories will determine what path the campaign will take. The first 2 battles will be at 1000 points. 3, 4, and 5 will be at 1500 points. And the final battle will an Onslaught mission at 3000.

Edited by Captain Durante

Posted (edited)

We are hoping to wrap this up by end of February.

The Ynnari grabbed a solid victory with mission 1 “Bio-Sample Acquisition” The high speed of the Jetbike heavy force combined with all potential Cult reinforcements failing to comeback until 1 in round 5 saw the battle turn quickly in favor of the Ynarri on turn 3. The Kabalites were surprisingly resilient led by Yvrain, soaking up a lot of damage, ensuring the southern board side and 3rd objective would go to the Ynarri. Though the two surviving GSC units had some heroics in the game, accounting for all 5 of the Ynarri units taken out of action and both gaining decent experience from completing Agendas.

In the end the Ynarri reclaimed 3 objectives vs the GSC 2. And with no GSC reinforcements coming back. The aeldari had better board control ability by the end of round 3. 

Tough break for Mordecai and his chosen but he will return. 

The campaign for Hotha continues. The Hivecult and combined Ynnari forces of Yvraine’s Drukari bodyguard and Craftworld Taiowa met in battle again. This time to recover supplies in anticipation of the escalating conflict. The sky filled with the sounds of shrieking Jetbikes as hordes of cultists flooded into the complex.

IMG_3085.jpeg

First blood went to the GSC as a blade of Acolytes, led by the Locus Yorl Novek, torched a squad of rangers as they were setting up a firing position.

IMG_3084.jpeg

The Ynarri retaliated with strafing fire onto the cultists taking down one of Dr. Moreau’s mutant Test Subjects and many cultists.

IMG_3087.jpeg

At the peek of the battle a small band of acolytes tunneled behind the Ynarri position to assassinate a Taiowa Farseer and claim the supplies he possessed. And on the other end of the battlefield Drukhari Jetbikes unleashed terror tactics amongst the ranks of the cultists ripping them from the ground with trailing hooks before as their Craftworld counterparts closed in to finished the job.

IMG_3091.jpeg

This left one of the supplies originally in possession of the cult unsecured. The cult needed to respond by zealous sacrifice surging forward again to reclaim the supplies and focusing fire on another Farseer leading a squad of windriders claiming another supply cache. The crate crashed to the ground as the last jetbike was blown from the sky.

IMG_3094.jpeg

At the end of the battle Each army had one objective cache secured in their own deployment zones and one each recovered in no mans land. The battle ended in a draw.

With one victory and one draw. The Ynarri clamed victory over Phase 1 of the campaign. The Hivecult, seeing the level of threat the Aeldari have over their goals of planetary Ascension, decide to divert a large portion of their assets to accelerate the insurgency now Including Aeldari strongholds amongst the targets.

Campaign.jpeg

I feel this mission should have been a victory. But I decided to try to get one more kill in before moving my 10-man squad acolytes behind cover with the supply objective. Which exposed them and extra round which was enough to get focused fired within 12 inches this lost me the extra 5 VP I would have gotten if I would have just moved them to my deployment zone instead of for the kill. What can I say. They were filled with bloodlust I guess… But regardless. Running the crusade campaign campaign has be great. Really fleshing out all the characters and adding to the background.

Mission Insurgency: 1500pts GSC vs Ynarri

Victor: GSC 80VP-0VP

Finally stopped the Ynarri momentum.

I played game 3 of the Hotha Campaign last night. I decided to double down on playing the swarm.

Primus

20-man Neopytes ML and GL

10-man Neophytes SC and F

Locus

10-man Acolytes x3 MT and x1 Demo

5-man Acolytes MT

5-man Acolytes Demo

Jackal Alphus

5 Jackals

Abominant

5 Aberrants

Biophagus

5 Aberrants

10-man Kasrkin squad Brood Brothers 

Ynarri

Yvraine

Visarch

10-man Kabalite squad

Wave Serpent

Farseer

Farseer Skyrunner

3 Wind riders

3 Shroud Runners

5 Rangers

Illic Nightspear

5 Rangers

Wraithlord

Spirt Seer

3 Reavers

3 Reavers

Night Spinner

IMG_3132.jpeg

Cult Ambush roles were mostly successful. Yvraine and the guard were brutal. They killed the bike twice and Alphus plus the 10-man Neopytes and a 5-man acolytes. But they all came back except for the bikes on the second roll. But kept swarming them until I could finished them of at the end. The brood brothers did well. Killing a Rangers squad and harassing the should Runners. Being able to use orders specifically Take Aim helped counter the problem with Stealth. And allowed my Aberrant squad time to close in and assault the jet bikes. I pivotal moment thought was when the Eldar Wraithlord and 2 reaver squads arrived from strategic reserves on turn 3 behind my lines. The plan was to make a punch through my infantry and join up with Yvraine. but bad dice on his side and surprising good ones on mine saw the shooting do little and now put those units in range to be charged. They were by both an aberrant squad and the locus with the 10-man Acolytes. They killed off the walker and all the bikes in turn 3 and finished off the spirit seer in my opponent’s subsequent fight phase. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Hotha War is coming close to an end. During the last two battles of the campaign, each faction achieved a victory. The first game was close. Ended up being a difference of 5 VP in favor of the Ynnari. However, the Hivecult, was able to counter this in the next battle by doing an underground assault of the central array. "Mission: Screaming into the Void". With the help of their brood brother breaching crews, the Hivecult was able to clear through a collapsed tunnel section and open up new ingress points near the coms center. The cult was able to gain control of the complex and send out the final Ascension Day signal across the planet and into orbit. System Ships began firing on each other as the crews of some were overrun by cultist already aboard. The single orbital defensive laser array detonated when its reactor was overloaded. Simultaniously, the planets astropathic tower was crumbled on itself as a series of siesmic explosions ripped through its base. This planet would be theirs or they would die trying. The campaign as gone 2 victories to the Aeldari. 2 victories to GSC and 1 draw. The fate of Hotha now lies in one last epic Onslaught battle. We will be playing Myths and Monsters tomorrow. I'll post how it went.

The last match was a blowout. My opponent screened really well meaning I would not be able to send the signal until turn 5. But other than that, the GSC were able to table the Ynnari on turn 5.

GSC forces:

Primus

20 man Neophyte squad

10 man Neophyte squad

Locus

10 man Acolyte squad

5 man Acolyte squad

5 man acolyte squad

Abominant

5 man Aberrant

Biophagus

5 man aberrant

Brood Brothers:

10 man Kasrkin

Hades Breaching Drill

Ynnari forces:

Yvrain

Autarch

10 Kabalites

Farseer

Eldrad Ulthran

5 Wraith Blades

spirtseer

D-Cannon Support weapon

5 warp spiders

3 Shroud Runners

5 Dark Reapers

10 Guardian defenders

10 Dire Avengers

5 man Ranger squad

5 man Ranger squad.

IMG_3185.jpg

Toward the end of the Coms Center Assault. The Breacher Drill "Bucking Benny" and Remains of the Aberrant Test Group cleared the Guardian Defenders who themselves had just cleared the first assault wave of Acolytes. This made room for the 20 man Neophytes to drop on the objective with "Tunnel Crawlers" and send the signal.