Armour scrolling and Averland sunset recess wash.

Hi All,

Trying to get my colour scheme right for my new Blood angels army.

Thinking about rakarth over dawnstonewith an agrax wash for the armour scrolling. BtW does that armour scrolling have a special term to describe it?

Open to any ideas other people might have.

Also I have reikland, agrax and nuln. What's the best recess shade for Averland sunset/ flash gitz. Using nuln for the respirator vents/ eyes but want to use a lighter recess shade potentially.

Again I'd love feedback ideas. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Brother Raul said:

Thinking about rakarth over dawnstonewith an agrax wash for the armour scrolling. BtW does that armour scrolling have a special term to describe it?

In my head I think of it as parchment. I tend to do a basecoat of Morghast Bone, wash with Aggrax and then highlight with white. Here is how it looks on Dante,

large.20230504_131456.jpg.0ece1788ca64d2

26 minutes ago, Brother Raul said:

Also I have reikland, agrax and nuln. What's the best recess shade for Averland sunset/ flash gitz. Using nuln for the respirator vents/ eyes but want to use a lighter recess shade potentially.

It depends what you want the yellow to be like. Nuln will probably be too dark IMHO. Aggrax should look good although it is a little on the brown side. Reikland would also work but may give it an orange/red tinge.

The “best” recess shade for Averland Sunset/yellow in the current GW is Skeleton Horde, in my opinion - I do a pure line in the recess itself (so like at the rim of a pauldron), let it dry, and then to actually shade down, I use a 1:1 or 2:1 Contrast Medium:Skeleton Horde to blend down to the line.

I’ve also heard from others that the new Seraphim Sepia is a good yellow recess shade.

Reikland may leave a more orangey-brown tint to your yellow, and Agrax might work, but I would thin it down, or the brown might overwhelm the yellow too much.  I wouldn’t use Nuln Oil as a shade for yellow.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Agrax to recess wash my models that are yellow (*but that's orks or Imperial fists) but I'll add, I like the dirty banged up and weathered look so as others have said lighter washes like reikland or seraphim sepia may work for you, I never thought to use skeleton horde though :happy: may have to look at trying that as well. 

Cheers, M