Ravenwing range refresh?

To preface; I understand that the new models we are receiving haven't officially been labelled a 'Dark Angel range refresh' by GW, at least not to my knowledge. This come more from Valrak's vernacular and way of talking about these kinds of releases which, for intents and purposes, hes not wrong in talking about these kinds of releases this way. I think its quite accurate and i'd like for GW to embrace this as a philosophy toward how to go about sweeping model updates.

The reason I say all this is that my question is; When, or will, we brothers of the Unforgiven see updates to our Ravenwing? I am disappointed that so far there is nothing to indicate there will be model updates in the near future for our boys in black.

We've had new bikers and speeders already. That we haven't seen anything Ravenwing related around those releases seems bizarre to me and now with the ostensible 'DA range refresh', its even more perplexing.

TL;DR - GW are blue-balling DA over Ravenwing, change my mind.

This edition seems to be focussing on Terminators and Jump Infantry for Marines and there have been no rumours of bikes. My hunch is that Bikes and Speeders will be a separate wave, either midway through 10th or possibly in 11th edition. We have Outriders, ATVs and Stormspeeders which fulfil the niche for Primaris marines but lack the Ravenwing's usual distinctive flavour.

My hunch is that Ravenwing updates are not imminent and may not even happen in this edition.

There are some Ravenwing bits in the Chapter Upgrade sprue.  From the looks of things, that's what is going to happen.   You get the RW Bike pole from the upgrade sprue to make a Ravenwing bike, instead of buying a Ravenwing Outrider kit.  I suspect the bikes themselves are going away.  The specialty speeders... 50/50 or better.   Upgraded Sammael is unlikely this round I'd guess or they would have already teased it too. 

It looks like the Command Squad, the Black Knights, Dark Talon, Nephilim Jetfighter, Land Speeder Vengeance and Darkshroud are sticking around, so that's pretty good news, even if they aren't getting new kits yet.

Thing is, eventually the existing firstborn RW kits will get updated or totally retired. I don't play comps so theres no incentive for me to bite the bullet and buy the firstborn kits, only for them to be redundant in some manner.

Its frustrates me no end that we've got new kits for RW staple units (speeders, bikes, ATV) but that hasn't been built upon by GW. Obviously it'll be another release, as others have said, in a later edition. Even an upgrade sprue to modify the aforementioned new kits into RW specific would be satisfactory imo i.e. a plasma battery upgrade for a Storm Speeder rear turret and some aesthetic upgrades.

On 1/16/2024 at 9:51 PM, Interrogator Stobz said:

Did they say he's gone, or just failed to mention him?

There's no model for the no model no rules thing - you can't get an old Tornado + Ravenwing Sprue to make him.  I would imagine we'll see a bike based Ravenwing Lieutenant soon - I mean there's got to be a model of some kind, and its a lieutenant.   The only lieutenants left to make are Bike and Left Handed.   So you know as soon as they make Lefty, the Bike Lieutenant is just a year or so away. 

Actually I don't think there is a Jump Pack Lt IIRC?  Also only Wolves and Dark Angels get an Lt-Equiv in Terminator armour (WBGL and Strikemaster respectively).

On 1/19/2024 at 5:07 AM, Karhedron said:

Actually I don't think there is a Jump Pack Lt IIRC?  Also only Wolves and Dark Angels get an Lt-Equiv in Terminator armour (WBGL and Strikemaster respectively).

Strikemaster is also gone. Wolves have two different datasheets for a "lieutenant in Terminator Armor" that I wouldn't feel safe buying a model for either at this point.  We're going the wrong direction. 

My point is that there should be a generic Cap/Chap/LT for each of the iconic/major armor/outfits, and the easiest way to do it is make a chapter upgrade sprue that partners with the generic unit box.  Gravis Cap/LT/Chap?  Start with an Aggressor or a Heavy Intercessor and use this Gravis head, those Gravis Arms, and these gravis shoulderpads.... The "model" is made from parts of two kits so they don't run into a no-model-no-rules thing but they also don't have to stock 15 single model blister packs. 

1 hour ago, Lion El Jason said:

Ezekiel is still metal...

I'm 90% sure Ezekiel is now the oldest model currently on sale.

Ezekiel is 1996 spring release. He is the oldest marine hero on sale now. But not the oldest among all factions:  eldar have some older, e.g. Asurmen is 1994.

EDIT: just checked the GW website. You are right! Page of ancient character models like Aurmen, Baharroth and Corbulo is already not accessible now. Ezekiel is actually THE oldest character model on sale today. 

Edited by Tokugawa