“Fixing” the detachment

So with the Unforgiven Task Force and the Gladius not seeing any major alterations upon their respective codex releases, I’m not hopeful for any drastic change to the Sons of Sanguinius detachment. 

That said, perhaps there is hope because of the time between index and our codex. If we were to see a change to the detachment rule, strats or enhancements, what would you like those changes to be to make us more flavorful and/or competitive? 

Without knowing what our other 2(?) detachments might be, I’m hoping the SoS detachment improves the enhancements a bit, and that the +1 to strength and attacks gets activated whether we make the charge or not. Maybe even always getting the extra attack and the strength increase comes off our charge. Something to add distance to our charges in some way would be nice too. 

I dunno, I’m kind of underwhelmed by the detachment but I’m pessimistic they’ll change it. 

I think that the Detachment rules are OK. They are just melee buffs in an edition that favours shooting. The Enhancements are a mixed bag but I would say that only the Archangel Shard is a total loss.

At the end of the day, at least we are not Space Wolves. :biggrin:

10 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

I wouldn’t expect changes honestly 

our detachment isn’t terrible, it’s not amazing but it’s fine. 

Yeah, I agree that it is unlikely to change.

It offers the same bonuses as the World Eaters Detachment rule, the difference is the World Eaters synergises with there army rule to get them into close combat to make use of it.

Oath of Moment is great from a whole combined arms stand point, it just doesn't help get your force in melee to use the detachment rule :confused:

2 hours ago, Vardus said:

It offers the same bonuses as the World Eaters Detachment rule, the difference is the World Eaters synergises with there army rule to get them into close combat to make use of it.

We have plenty of jump pack units unlike WEs so getting into combat is easier for us at least.

2 hours ago, Jolemai said:

Perhaps a top up with +1 to Charge and Advance?

Of course, any changes will likely be incorporated into points increases on our units...

giving us +1 to charge along with +1 attack and strength when charging would be nice...

more of a synergystic buff

Edited by Blindhamster

My only real "criticism" I guess, is that I wish the Detachment ability becomes our faction ability. And then we could get the melee bonus, but still get to use other detachments. With the Oath of Moment change to only rerolling hits, I don't see it as being too powerful to give up anymore. 

I don't think it will happen, especially if DA keep Oath (I haven't kept up on what is in their codex), but I like to dream. 

i would like that too personally.

Actually it'd be pretty interesting to have DA use Oath, but wolves and BA not due to their mutations being the driving factor. based on how the DA book was laid out, having an army rule there could still work, and even still fit the one in, one out rule.

12 hours ago, BluejayJunior said:

My only real "criticism" I guess, is that I wish the Detachment ability becomes our faction ability. And then we could get the melee bonus, but still get to use other detachments. With the Oath of Moment change to only rerolling hits, I don't see it as being too powerful to give up anymore. 

I don't think it will happen, especially if DA keep Oath (I haven't kept up on what is in their codex), but I like to dream. 

I really like this idea. 

• 3 weeks later...

Probably likely to stay as is but get a couple of new detachments as well like Dark Angels.

I don't mind the detachment bonus, enhancements are exceptionally average with 1 clear winner. Shame as Gladius enhancements stack bonuses a lot or funnily enough 'enhance' a doctrine.

However I still like out get a charge do some damage bonus and think it's probably our starting point (Gladius superior if shooty) before the any supplement or codex.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In competitive play? Ok I guess. Still no tournament wins if Auspex is to be believed (which I do).

I've only got one game in with it though and it was quite serviceable. 

One thing I will say is that even more than previous editions, we need to be charging instead of being charged, so transports and jump packs are an absolute must! We lose so much when not charging it's kinda ridiculous! at least we have a fall-back-and-charge strat...

Foot slogging anything that isn't a dreadnaught just doesn't seem like a good idea. 

Edited by Paladin777

Lieutenants are good for us for the old Fall back and Charge as well. Shame we don't have a Jump Pack Lt.

My only real complaint with the Detachment is that the Enhancements seem very weak. Artificer of War is OK but the rest are pretty lacklustre. I would be interested to see what other Detachments we get when the full Codex drops.