Scouts

hengrid

Hello fellow Wolves,

how would you equip Scouts, it is a quite interesting unit, but how to equip them?

Shootguns for assault sheningans and a kind of heavy weapon?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

I think you will always want at least 1 Shotgun in the squad. The reason for this is the way some secondaries are scored since one of the big reasons to take Scouts is that they are cheap way to perform Actions. In order to complete an Action secondary, the unit normally has to give up its shooting for a turn but it has to be eligible to shoot in order to give it up. Having at least 1 gun in the squad with the Assault keyword means that the unit is still eligible to shoot, even if it Advances. This makes the squad better at scoring Secondaries since Advancing gives them more movement to get to the necessary location.

My go-to configuration is like this:

1 Sergeant with Chainsword and Pistol

1 Sniper Rifle

1 Heavy weapon (your choice)

1 Shotgun

1 Optional (your choice but probably another shotgun since this will be the first guy to die :wink:).

49 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

I think you will always want at least 1 Shotgun in the squad. The reason for this is the way some secondaries are scored since one of the big reasons to take Scouts is that they are cheap way to perform Actions. In order to complete an Action secondary, the unit normally has to give up its shooting for a turn but it has to be eligible to shoot in order to give it up. Having at least 1 gun in the squad with the Assault keyword means that the unit is still eligible to shoot, even if it Advances. This makes the squad better at scoring Secondaries since Advancing gives them more movement to get to the necessary location.

I'd never actually thought about that so will definitely be taking your advice on the two units of Scouts I've got coming.

Chainsword (for fighting the combi LT in mirror)

2 shotguns (assault to advance and do actions)

Sniper Rifle

Heavy bolter

I never fire guns in like 99% of my games

they are action monkeys (teleport homers) and sacrificial screeners against world esters and votann

If I'm not mistaken, Wolf Scouts still have some options not available to other Chapter. In fact, now that I'm looking at the Dataslate, Wolf Scout cannot have a sniper rifle, but may take a plasma pistol or power weapon. The heavy weapon options also include the four special weapons so you could include a plasmagun or melta in the squad. Finaly, the pack leader has all the options available to other PL, including Thunderhammer, power fist and all the pistols too.

Since it's a different Dataslate, I wonder if you could include 3 x squads of Wolfscouts and 3 x squads Scouts...?

1 hour ago, jpwyrm said:

Since it's a different Dataslate, I wonder if you could include 3 x squads of Wolfscouts and 3 x squads Scouts...?

Yes you can indeed. Wolf Scouts cost more though. Most people take Scouts for Action economy and screening so the extra points spent on the Wolf Scouts don't help with that.

But they are still a cheap and decent unit so give them a try. But my gut tells me the extra 30 points doesn't boost them enough. Scouts want to be cheap and expendable (both in terms of bodies and their shooting).

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Yes you can indeed. Wolf Scouts cost more though. Most people take Scouts for Action economy and screening so the extra points spent on the Wolf Scouts don't help with that.

But they are still a cheap and decent unit so give them a try. But my gut tells me the extra 30 points doesn't boost them enough. Scouts want to be cheap and expendable (both in terms of bodies and their shooting).

From a competitive point of view, I agree 100%. If one would be inclined to play a themed list though, it looks like the Space Wolves offer the possibility to field twice as much unit of Scouts as other Chapters. 

Just something to consider.