The Horus Heresy - A Retrospective?

McNeill is so vastly underappreciated in hindsight. He carried a lot of the opening foundational works on his broad, handsome shoulders and pushed into previously unexplored lore and made it interesting without warping the nascent Heresy around it. His output was massive, too: just look at McNeill from 2010 to 2015~ when he joins Riot. He pops out two trilogies (Forges of Mars for 40K, Dark Water for FFG) in that time, four HH books, Ultramarines novels, along with other work. The man was a driving force, and I think the series suffered massively from losing his input. Imagine a world where Fury of Magnus is a proper Siege novel, or Selenar replaces Solar War.

I agree that the loss of McNeill was felt for sure. While I did have issue with Outcast Dead, following the weirdness of TEatD V3, is it really that off?

I dont know, his early contributions still stand up I feel, and while I personally lost the plot after Vengeful Spirit I do think not having him around hurt things.

I feel as well that the choice to limit the Emperor's time with the reader was a mistake. If ever there was a time, it was the tail end of this series, and they just completely missed the fact that the whole thing, is a classic Greek Tragedy.

I think once Alan Bligh was allowed to put out a version of the Heresy for the Black Books the Horus Heresy series became a runner up. Now that the series is concluded I think I am right. 

I still remember how excited I was reading Horus Rising all those years ago (still have the ragged, falling apart version) and I am sitting here struggling to finish the End and the Death 3. Going back and rereading Horus Rising now that version of Horus and the Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus has been so thoroughly supplanted by the Sons of Horus in Betrayal/Conquest its like reading another IP entirely. 

We get the closest with ADB and French novels. Those are the only ones that correctly match the tone and scale. Saturnine did too. But ADB didn’t care for the series after the absolute scum on Reddit kept harassing him and the series was poorer when he lost interest. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr

Have been saying for years (as have others) that the Horus Heresy should have been a setting not an (almost) chronological series.

It needed a spine/core series of maybe 9-12 books that, IMHO, continued the opening trilogy’s focus on Horus and the Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus.

Then let authors delve into other key events or stories. If an author wanted to write a trilogy on the Shattered Legions and their Guerrilla Warfare, then great! If an author wanted to write about Imperium Secundus (or more specifically RG and the UMs and why they were not at the SoT) then great. The White Scars arc (well we mostly got that so tick) cool. The journey the Blood Angels went on (stuck in Ruinstorm but for me, not having Sanguinius as one of the multiple Primarchs arriving in Imperium Secundus) etc etc

The Siege of Terra could still be a mini series (but maybe 6 books!)

Edited by DukeLeto69

There were several losses out of the talent pool that greatly affected the series.  McNeill and ADB, as mentioned above.  Goulding’s firm hand on the editorial levers was also a noticeable loss when he departed as well.  When Abnett departed for his sabbatical from BL I felt that the series appeared to lose its last guiding light, even if (imho) his work had slipped slightly at this point.  After that, it seemed everyone and his dog got their shot at a HH novel or short story, varying the quality but uncovering some gems in the process.

I'm unsure if I can comment here since I haven't finished the SoT yet. Due to my poor memory, I keep going back and occasionally re-read some of the 54 books. I'm in no rush and might not even finish it this year.

Horus Rising will likely remain my favorite entry in the series - not necessarily the best one, but as the opening volume it establishes a perfect tone of the setting. It's one of those books I can read over and over again. I initially enjoyed False Gods when it came out, but after reading it again not that long ago, McNeill's abrupt handling of Horus's fall is unforgivable. After that, it was going downhill. It was Wraight and French bringing me back. Not only are they excellent technical writers, but they also respect the setting and don't try to change it or push their own agendas. Abnett is doing whatever he wants, ADB's books all read the same - you read one, you've read them all (I love his books, he's an incredible writer but I can't read more than one a year), Thorpe might be a lore encyclopedia but unfortunately seldom translates to engaging prose on the page. 

And Restorer will very likely stay forever my favorite short story. It's a perfect example of what a short story can be and how it can add extra to the previous novels. It made the White Scars arc even better.

Highpoints - White Scars arc (Restorer will very likely stay forever my favorite short story), WB/WE arc, French handling Dorn and AL and proper description of warp shenanigans, Abnett for Horus Rising, and the BL making it to the end. I don't think there's ever going to be another series/setting like this one.

Lowpoints - Kyme's entries, McNeill's ham-fisted philosophy, a drifting sense of direction after the first 5 books, more than half of the Primarchs novel being crap, and poor quality of HH PoDs.

1 hour ago, DukeLeto69 said:

Have been saying for years (as have others) that the Horus Heresy should have been a setting not an (almost) chronological series.

It needed a spine/core series of maybe 9-12 books that, IMHO, continued the opening trilogy’s focus on Horus and the Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus.

But then how do you sell the 20-30 books in the series that are not only not very good but many are not very good sequels to not very good books?

I present exhibit A, Nick Kymes Salamander trilogy (you all knew it was coming), If you take away the FOMO of there being key plot/characters/story out by taking away its protections of the numbered series what are you left with? Does anyone ever have fond words for the books? Do you ever see armies/modeling project made based on this? Heck book 3 kinda realized that the salamanders are the worse parts of the salamanders books and became 50% shattered legions/meduson.

So you force them to matter for the overall story, Vulkan is going to Terra, he has the amulet of metaplot, it will decide the very fate of the Heresy, look look Meduson is here too and his story will be decided in this 'Salamander book'! So suddenly you need to read them to make the latter book make sense. FOMO 101. 

I know some people either like to forget/pretend or just refuse to admit it. But BLs only single real overarching aim with the HH series very quickly became to maximize profit.  The decision was made to MILK MILK MILK it dry. A numbered series serves this goal, as it still does with Dawn of Fire.

Its GW FOMO taken to its logical end course, Let the good books keep readers in, and happy and buying, but then put out as many books/novellas/short stories as you possible can under that cover and rely on people wanting 'the complete picture' and wanting to be able to get to the next novel for X faction, or just unsure whats in the book and not wanting to risk it,  FOMO buying it all. 

Another fantastic example are the perpetuals, they could have gotten their own book, been their own thing, stood on their own feet. Aimed at people who LIKED the idea. But then you are missing out on ALLOT of sales.  So you keep them in other books, books guaranteed to sell to carry them on their shoulders. You tie them into key events, you make it so you HAVE to have a clue about them or quite literally the HH ending will make no sense to you.  And you do that with everything, so the numbered series makes sense not because it was a planned and executed idea, but because you did you best to make sure you NEED to read them all for the ending to make any sense.

If we are truly looking back with what we know today, we know what was BEST for the series/reader/story  was NEVER the guiding principal, or even a serious consideration. Dont get me wrong, authors wanted to do their best and put out good stories, but they also knew that a HH book vs say a AOS/40k book would mean the difference between holidays in Yorkshire and holidays in Spain in sales.  On a company/series/planning level? At best a distant second. It was only when they got TOO greedy and overreach with the sheer number of novellas/anthologies/nothing content and it affected sales that they course corrected back ( and BL internal change ups reflect this self correction from pure greed/tie in to maybe actually putting out books again). 

Ultimately at some point to do it properly they would have to COMMISION stories.  Asking your usual authors what every one fancies and having them call dibs on certain legions/stories over tea and biscuits is not how you get a planned out/coherent series out. Having your chief editor also crank out a book or 3 cause 'he is the salamander guy', or Gav fancies Raven guard so thats a trilogy is not how you do it either.   

You cant force authors to write this is true, but you also dont have to be subject to their whims and fancies. If you are wanting to tell a story you need to tell the bloody story, and sometimes that does mean getting your ducks in order. A numbered series means their is at worse a vague outline and a plan. And you gotta make sure you hit your milemarks and dont get too lost along the way.  And if author A loses his mojo or something happens (this is real life after all) YOU REPLACE them and keep going. 

And in the corner, keeping deathly silent and hoping no one notices him, you have Chris Wraith, writing the only complete story arc of the entire heresy in the white scars. A focused, well written, well research story with a start, middle and ending.  The shining gem of the entire HH showing how it all could have been.   Tho Wraith is making it a habit of closing his trilogies off and actually ending his stories. 

So how it all went eh? About as well as you can expect.  BL is to be fair to them in a weird spot, they are a publishing house at the mad whims of a miniature company but judged on a merits of a proper publisher. Allot of their key staff grew into their roles with the companies growth and have the hybrid mix bagged experience that comes with that.  So i judge them, I judge them perhaps too harshly, but ultimately if I went back in time I would not buy 60% of the HH books i did, second hand/borrow, book clubs, that is the sane way to read the HH.  

Not even going to talk about changing books sizes and formats during a ongoing series, limited editions, marketing BS and sale methods  or this will become multi page long :biggrin:.

Edited by Nagashsnee

I haven't finished End and the Death Pt. 3 yet, but I am already feeling a bit emotional about the end of this era...

I think looking back, it's stunning that the series has been completed on the scale that it has. GW/BL never planned it to run for so long and given BL's unorthodox approach to editorial work, it was always going to have lots of ups and downs in terms of quality. FWIW, I think such a huge endeavour ending up with more hits than misses, and managing to keep a coherent overarching story going to the end is quite an achievement. 

The books changed in character when the series moved from being essentially a Black Library project, to a wider GW project that tied in with a game system. I'd argue that this was mostly positive, even if it can be a little jarring in hindsight. It gave the authors a wider world to work in that they didn't have to invent as they went along. But it also saw a change in how the stories were told. The fact that Istvaan V didn't even have a whole book of its own is an example of this IMO. Can't imagine that happening now. Some legions, factions and characters were lucky to be covered by better writers or have a most coherent story arc given to them. As has been highlighted above, BL's reliance on essentially an internal pool of authors is both a strong point in terms of how quickly they can crank out stories and a huge weakness in terms of quality control. But I think the series would never have been written on the scale it has been of BL was mostly commissioning writers, instead of using effectively a writers room.

Personally, my favourite novels have been those that touch upon some of the esoteric and pre-Imperial parts of the lore, and those that are written to work almost as standalone narratives, as well as part of the series. Master of Mankind, No Know Fear, Praetorian of Dorn, First Heretic and Legion, all spring to mind. We all know which books were duds. The Seige of Terra series has been frustrating in its inconsistency, and I feel it needed a much better series editor. But it has also contained some absolute gems. In some ways, it encapsulated the wider series as a whole.

So in retrospect, I think the Heresy series is an amazing achievement. We are lucky to have experienced it and I doubt anything quite like it will be done again. 

45 minutes ago, Nagashsnee said:

But then how do you sell the 20-30 books in the series that are not only not very good but many are not very good sequels to not very good books?

I present exhibit A, Nick Kymes Salamander trilogy (you all knew it was coming), If you take away the FOMO of there being key plot/characters/story out by taking away its protections of the numbered series what are you left with? Does anyone ever have fond words for the books? Do you ever see armies/modeling project made based on this? Heck book 3 kinda realized that the salamanders are the worse parts of the salamanders books and became 50% shattered legions/meduson.

So you force them to matter for the overall story, Vulkan is going to Terra, he has the amulet of metaplot, it will decide the very fate of the Heresy, look look Meduson is here too and his story will be decided in this 'Salamander book'! So suddenly you need to read them to make the latter book make sense. FOMO 101. 

I know some people either like to forget/pretend or just refuse to admit it. But BLs only single real overarching aim with the HH series very quickly became to maximize profit.  The decision was made to MILK MILK MILK it dry. A numbered series serves this goal, as it still does with Dawn of Fire.

Its GW FOMO taken to its logical end course, Let the good books keep readers in, and happy and buying, but then put out as many books/novellas/short stories as you possible can under that cover and rely on people wanting 'the complete picture' and wanting to be able to get to the next novel for X faction, or just unsure whats in the book and not wanting to risk it,  FOMO buying it all. 

Another fantastic example are the perpetuals, they could have gotten their own book, been their own thing, stood on their own feet. Aimed at people who LIKED the idea. But then you are missing out on ALLOT of sales.  So you keep them in other books, books guaranteed to sell to carry them on their shoulders. You tie them into key events, you make it so you HAVE to have a clue about them or quite literally the HH ending will make no sense to you.  And you do that with everything, so the numbered series makes sense not because it was a planned and executed idea, but because you did you best to make sure you NEED to read them all for the ending to make any sense.

If we are truly looking back with what we know today, we know what was BEST for the series/reader/story  was NEVER the guiding principal, or even a serious consideration. Dont get me wrong, authors wanted to do their best and put out good stories, but they also knew that a HH book vs say a AOS/40k book would mean the difference between holidays in Yorkshire and holidays in Spain in sales.  On a company/series/planning level? At best a distant second. It was only when they got TOO greedy and overreach with the sheer number of novellas/anthologies/nothing content and it affected sales that they course corrected back ( and BL internal change ups reflect this self correction from pure greed/tie in to maybe actually putting out books again). 

Ultimately at some point to do it properly they would have to COMMISION stories.  Asking your usual authors what every one fancies and having them call dibs on certain legions/stories over tea and biscuits is not how you get a planned out/coherent series out. Having your chief editor also crank out a book or 3 cause 'he is the salamander guy', or Gav fancies Raven guard so thats a trilogy is not how you do it either.   

You cant force authors to write this is true, but you also dont have to be subject to their whims and fancies. If you are wanting to tell a story you need to tell the bloody story, and sometimes that does mean getting your ducks in order. A numbered series means their is at worse a vague outline and a plan. And you gotta make sure you hit your milemarks and dont get too lost along the way.  And if author A loses his mojo or something happens (this is real life after all) YOU REPLACE them and keep going. 

And in the corner, keeping deathly silent and hoping no one notices him, you have Chris Wraith, writing the only complete story arc of the entire heresy in the white scars. A focused, well written, well research story with a start, middle and ending.  The shining gem of the entire HH showing how it all could have been.   Tho Wraith is making it a habit of closing his trilogies off and actually ending his stories. 

So how it all went eh? About as well as you can expect.  BL is to be fair to them in a weird spot, they are a publishing house at the mad whims of a miniature company but judged on a merits of a proper publisher. Allot of their key staff grew into their roles with the companies growth and have the hybrid mix bagged experience that comes with that.  So i judge them, I judge them perhaps too harshly, but ultimately if I went back in time I would not buy 60% of the HH books i did, second hand/borrow, book clubs, that is the sane way to read the HH.  

Not even going to talk about changing books sizes and formats during a ongoing series, limited editions, marketing BS and sale methods  or this will become multi page long :biggrin:.

First of all what’s wrong with a holiday to Yorkshire instead of Spain ;-)

I agree with most (maybe all) of what you say. Except the implications early on (though addressed later in your post) that authors were ok about writing a bad book. They were bad books because they were bad books not because they were deliberately bad but they didn’t care as they would sell anyway.

BL set the HH on the wrong path with the numbered series approach. It meant that you did need to catch up with character X or plotpoint A in a novel they possibly had no place being. It made things messy and illogical and forced a lot of shoehorning.

I can't imagine the original intent was to have a 54 book series, unless the idea was for each Legion to have its own trilogy, an idea which could have worked with better planning but ultimately died on the vine at the end of Galaxy in Flames because you can't have 51 more books where the faction responsible for the story in the first place would be relegated to bit part and sideshows. 

I think the first three are somewhere between fine and good, but do a good job of opening the Heresy up, and Flight and Fulgrim are important (if overly long in the case of Fulgrim).

From there we should have had maybe a second pair/trilogy leading up the end of the drop site massacre which could have included 'origin stories' of the Raven Guard, Iron Hands and Salamanders. There was nothing really in the early parts of the series about seeing things from a loyalist point of view, aside from shock and a whole load of 'brother, why?'. 

After that we just need a book each about Prospero, Thramas, Calth, Signus etc that each tells the story from two POV's - use the wars to colour in the Legions, rather than try and have a book about Dark Angels, a book about Night Lords and then a book about Dark Angels vs Night Lords. 

IMO, of course. 

7 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

I can't imagine the original intent was to have a 54 book series, unless the idea was for each Legion to have its own trilogy, an idea which could have worked with better planning but ultimately died on the vine at the end of Galaxy in Flames because you can't have 51 more books where the faction responsible for the story in the first place would be relegated to bit part and sideshows. 

I think the first three are somewhere between fine and good, but do a good job of opening the Heresy up, and Flight and Fulgrim are important (if overly long in the case of Fulgrim).

From there we should have had maybe a second pair/trilogy leading up the end of the drop site massacre which could have included 'origin stories' of the Raven Guard, Iron Hands and Salamanders. There was nothing really in the early parts of the series about seeing things from a loyalist point of view, aside from shock and a whole load of 'brother, why?'. 

After that we just need a book each about Prospero, Thramas, Calth, Signus etc that each tells the story from two POV's - use the wars to colour in the Legions, rather than try and have a book about Dark Angels, a book about Night Lords and then a book about Dark Angels vs Night Lords. 

IMO, of course. 

Pretty sure BL or some authors have been open about them originally thinking the HH series was only going to be 9 to 12 books. That explains why the opening trilogy covers so much ground and Horus’ fall is so quick. Once sales figures started coming in they course corrected.

And I agree, I could never understand why there wasn’t a book dedicated to the the drop site massacre (Isstvan V?). Such a pivotal moment relegated to a few chapters in other book(s)? 

I must be one of the only people who has absolutely no issue with Horus' 'fall'. He's halfway there by the end of Rising - all False Gods does is show him that he can do more than just work within a broken system, he can turn it on its head with the help of (untrustworthy) allies. He didn't buy Erebus-as-Sejanus, and he's not ignorant of what's happening when Magnus shows up - but he's done with how the Imperium is being run, and is seizing an opportunity to fix it. I mean, there's a reason the Interex are like 'whoa dude you have WAR in your name? that means you solve all your problems with WAR even though you say you want to talk, it's probably gonna be WAR talk'. Turns out that when you solve all your problems with violence, then when you try something different and immediately, horribly fail, you fall back on what works.

1 hour ago, DukeLeto69 said:

Except the implications early on (though addressed later in your post) that authors were ok about writing a bad book. They were bad books because they were bad books not because they were deliberately bad but they didn’t care as they would sell anyway.

Yeah sorry if in my ramblings i wasnt clear. 

Its a case of the HH series providing a safety net and guaranteed sales. Which it did, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to capitalize on it and BLs HH  need for content.....unlike holidaying in yorkshire, lots and lots wrong there :biggrin:

4 hours ago, DukeLeto69 said:

Pretty sure BL or some authors have been open about them originally thinking the HH series was only going to be 9 to 12 books. That explains why the opening trilogy covers so much ground and Horus’ fall is so quick. Once sales figures started coming in they course corrected.

And I agree, I could never understand why there wasn’t a book dedicated to the the drop site massacre (Isstvan V?). Such a pivotal moment relegated to a few chapters in other book(s)? 

Quick comment before I get on a call, I'll be back to rant later about my general thoughts.

There are a series of interviews by a youtube channel called Mira Manga, she has done an author interview for the first five books (minus Galaxy in Flames) in the series and McNeill very openly says in the False Gods interview that the original plan was for the opening trilogy and then maybe 8-10 books (I think, can't remember the exact number he said off hand) after that. Once they (I'm assuming GW money people) saw how popular the series became they called for more books and it spiraled out from there

The interviews are long, but I'd recommend them as they give some nice background information from the writers

Oh what fun I shall have with this thread.

Contrary to some narratives, I don't think the Heresy ever "got worse" or got "less consistent." Let's be honest, we rode high off a strong first book and -for the time- the excitement surrounding the subject matter was always going to override an objective look at it's quality. Galaxy In Flames is bad, y`all.

The only thing I believe the series truly lost with time was *energy*

And yes, plot movement is a part of that, but it's not the whole story. There was a palpable sense of excitement from the authors to be exploring this new era of the fluff, and the oscillating between established events and cool new stories was basically an automatic hype machine. For all the investment around something like Legion - a bold new angle most Alpha Legion fans would never have considered - there was equal anticipation for the major beats to come, like the Burning of Prospero. Who would write it? Which legion's side of the story would they favour? Abnett and McNeill really were the backbone of this era, not always by way of quality, but because Abnett would drop a bunch of out-there ideas as a starting point and McNeill would basically follow them up as his hype-man, while also covering angles no other author seemed to be down for. It was a good system.

Then (besides Tallarn) we suddenly had no further established events to pull on besides the Siege, and McNeill and Abnett effectively jumped ship. Things might have been different if Abnett got to write Dreadwing, and ADB was fast enough to write Nightfall, but as-is the pivot into this new era seemed to turn the series into busywork. "We're moving to the Siege!" it said, "but first we need to wrap up about 500 plotlines." That's a recipe for tedium, even if the ratio of good books to bad never changed, IMO. The best ones had a nice balance of "we're putting these plots to bed, and opening up 1 or 2 little shake-ups for what's to come," and the bad just kind of shuffled characters into place for the coming Siege.

And now that the Siege is "done" (still waiting on novella 3, McNeill) after 10 novels, I think we can safely say that momentum was not recaptured. I believe the positive response to Saturnine (my own included) is more on the energy of the book rather than it's content. If there's 1 Siege book that really recaptured that early-series energy, from the characters present to the beats hit to the new elements shuffled in, that book more than any felt like we were back in the wild frontier that was the early Heresy. I still like Mortis, but it certainly didn't carry that through, nor did the following entries.

I thought it was ADB’s mental health issues that saw him withdraw from writing for BL rather than anything else? You got to say that BL were pretty supportive at keeping an income stream open for him over that period with boxsets and special editions to keep the royalties flowing. Hoping 2024 will see Black Legion 3 and Spears 2 now that SoT is out of the way (as BL are going to need some flagship releases!)

I won't speak anything like authoritatively, but based on what I've seen of his comments on 4chan and Reddit, his attempts to be in active contact with the community ended with a lot of non-conversations where people wildly misinterpreted his work and/or the setting. Aaron is quite a fan of the unreliable narrator in his stuff, and we all know how much of the community treats novels as extended codex entries to be mined for fluff instead of, you know, stories. People still think TFH confirmed the Ultramarines absorbed one of the missing legions, when it was just intended to be idle speculation by the Word Bearers.

I certainly don't blame him if all that contributed to his decision. People still parrot memes about his writing, clearly having not actually read his works themselves.

1 hour ago, Roomsky said:

People still think TFH confirmed the Ultramarines absorbed one of the missing legions, when it was just intended to be idle speculation by the Word Bearers.

The irony is the the short story "The Chamber at the end of Memory", then took what ABD intended to be wild speculation and actually did confirm it. :ermm:

2 hours ago, Matcap86 said:

What happened there? Was it tribalism people upset ADB didn't let their faction win? 

Morons who only read wikis and BL novel spoilers would incessantly argue with him and tell him he’s wrong about stuff he got from the voice of god in IP meetings. He would try to lay out why choices were made or how things work in the IP and some losers who have never owned a miniature would call him woke or tell him that’s not how chaos works or that he’s got too many women in his novels. 

1 minute ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Morons who only read wikis and BL novel spoilers would incessantly argue with him and tell him he’s wrong about stuff he got from the voice of god in IP meetings. He would try to lay out why choices were made or how things work in the IP and some losers who have never owned a miniature would call him woke or tell him that’s not how chaos works or that he’s got too many women in his novels. 

Ugh. 

I wish he'd post back here.

I once had someone DM on reddit three months after I posted to tell me I was wrong about something.  Someone eles asked if it was possible for a guardsman to kill a Chaos space marine and I said "If only there was a game where you could find out". 

So a quarter of a year later this guy is so annoyed he dm'd me about something I'd completely forgotten about. He got banned from the warhammer subs so he'd reply to people on their posts on  other subs like R/Shoes or whatever, to tell them their 40k opinions were wrong.

I'm just a fan. I can't imagine some of the stuff the people who work for BL have to put up with.