January 2024 MFM and Dataslate

Just now, irlLordy said:

Are the points changes accurate? DA seems to still have points for removed models, and inner circle companions haven't been added. 

The Codex isn't out yet, I would expect something separate for them. This clearly refers to the Index as it does not have prices for Deathwing and Ravenwing Enhancements.

So Aggressors and Centurion Devastators get points hikes to pay for the sins of Vanguard Ultramarines. Intercessors, HIs and Sternguard all go down so it looks like GW can't figure out how to make Marine infantry appealing. 

Blood Angels now get +2S on the charge from their Detachment ability. That is surprisingly nice! Power Swords and Heirloom weapons now strike at S8 on the charge if led by a Jump Captain.

Dark Angels points still refer to the Index rather than the Codex.

Imperial Knights get some much needed points drops.

Aeldari get a huge nerf with Fate Dice going from 12 to 6. Wraithguard get a points hike but strangely Wraithblades do not. Fate's Messenger now only applies to the Character, not its unit which makes it a lot less valuable. Expect to see it mainly on Death Jesters and Autarch Wayleapers now.

The wording on Devastating Wounds has been tidied up but no fix to abilities that allow saves vs MWs to work vs Devastating Wounds. :sad:

Edited by Karhedron

Some very interesting changes. 

Pros;

They fixed Custodes!  Huzzah!

Cons;

What the :cuss: is up with the points across the board?  Some real head scratches. Plague Marines are more expensive again?  I just started trying to use them, and they weren't that good.

Meh. Berzerker Glaive nerfed. I'm going to miss adding +3 to attacks and damage on my MoE when the dice gods favoured me, it was absolutely hilarious. 

**edit**

And just to add insult to injury, BA now get a bigger buff (+2 S, +1 A) on the charge than WE do (+1 S, +1A). 

Edited by The Spitehorde

are dark eldar the only Index ones with an extra second detachment ?

Nevermind, I forgot I can just look it up in the MFM without looking trough each pdf individually ;) So yes, they are the only ones.

Edited by TheMawr

The 40k documents (MFM in particular) continue to be embarrassing. AoS nailed how to present points changes over five years ago now.

Crisis suits going up probably makes sense and Riptides going down definitely makes sense. Some of the other small points drops are nice but I don't know if anyone will take any commander other than Coldstars still. They just make crisis suits so fantastically mobile without affecting their firepower.

Yay for the Custodes change! And for the Aeldari nerf. Even if it seems like a real big one. I can’t believe the Necrons received 0 changes. 

I do wish they’d have released more detachments for armies that haven’t a glimmer of hope of getting a new codex yet. (And that they just changed the Aeldari one entirely) 

As a CSM player I am not surprised with the point changes. Chosen were very cheap, there was no real reason to take legioners. 10% more expensive with 50% more wounds, they were no-brainer. That the Forgefiend would become more expensive was not either a surprise, in competitive lists they were really powerful. I think the CSM changes were ok, so I am not complaining yet.

Cpt.Danjou

4 minutes ago, Shield-Captain said:

I can’t believe the Necrons received 0 changes.

Necrons have not been out that long (only about half the time since the last dataslate). My guess is that they didn't feel they had enough data to work from.

The Dark Eldar changes are nice enough:

Empowering a unit by giving it a Pain Token also gives the unit -1ap in combat

And

Archons can join Incubi now too

-1ap extra is nice? It's not game breaking or anything but it'll be nice for Incubi and Talos to get more damage through. Nice for Wyches too if they're gunning for mildly heavier infantry.

Adding Archons to Incubi is pretty good and gives Drukhari an actual melee unit that can swing upwards. When an Incubi squad is empowered with an Archon they: reroll all hits, have an additional ap making them -3ap and reroll all wounds. Still on S4 but the reroll wounds is good.

Points drops on the units that aren't the power houses is nice but again, not going to change too much for the army.

I'm excited to try out Incubi again and see how they play, I've tried quite a bit but could never get them to actually do anything :sweat:

The Eldar and CSM changes are good and needed, I do think Crons not getting touched is only going to rocket their potential, although they were already a good pick into Eldar and CSM.

Interesting to see where this leads!

50 minutes ago, The Spitehorde said:

Meh. Berzerker Glaive nerfed. I'm going to miss adding +3 to attacks and damage on my MoE when the dice gods favoured me, it was absolutely hilarious. 

**edit**

And just to add insult to injury, BA now get a bigger buff (+2 S, +1 A) on the charge than WE do (+1 S, +1A). 

As a blood angels player, even I find that odd.