Champions of Russ Change

So GW finally changed CoR to allow players to turn on a saga EACH turn instead of the battle round like before. Now, it by no means makes it competitive still, but I could easily see it showing up more often casually. Those sustained and lethals are very tempting. I see it as a good sign that they realize how inferior it is, so maybe we'll see an even better version in our supplement. What are others' thoughts?

I take it as a positive sign that they recognised how bad the Detachment is as it stands. The improvement is better than nothing (but still not great). As you say, hopefully we can hope for something better.

More interesting is some changes have been sneaked into the Index. Wulfen Hammers are now S6 and 2D which is definitely an improvement.

Screenshot_20240130-135620.png

8 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

I take it as a positive sign that they recognised how bad the Detachment is as it stands. The improvement is better than nothing (but still not great). As you say, hopefully we can hope for something better.

More interesting is some changes have been sneaked into the Index. Wulfen Hammers are now S6 and 2D which is definitely an improvement.

Screenshot_20240130-135620.png

*falls to knees, rips open front of shirt*
JJJUUUUUUUUUUSSSTTIIIIICCCEEEE!!!!!!

I'm working on a list for CoR now. It's interesting enough I think as it essentially doubles the chances to activate one.  

Glad they at least acknowledged it and shout out to the half dozen of you going to GT's with CoR, legends all of you

Edited by Kassill

I’m pleased they tried to address the biggest concerns regarding bespoke SW rules.

It’s worth trying the new detachment but I think you’ll really want to tailor your lists to trying to trigger those bonuses. It’s nice that you could potentially get all 4 by the end of BR 2. A list that can trigger those bonuses and still have enough meat of other units to utilize the buffs might be successful.

Wulfen still probably not worth it. Good distraction carnifex. 0 OC might be mitigated by the Saga. Would be nice if they had a rule that knocked down enemy OC to 0. They’re an interest screening unit against melee armies now they hit back a little harder.

The app says to standby for more detachments. Dark Eldar got one more today and it rewards high level play.

My list went up by 60 points. Idk why that happened but thanks GW. lol

I think Wulfen are hitty enough to be interesting. At 100 points they can just about clear an MEQ squad on the charge which is pretty much a threshold for combat-effectiveness. At S6, they can even punch to T11 targets with a fighting chance to wound. I agree they are a Distraction Carnifex but at 100 points with a 4++, moderately decent Hammers and fight-on-Death, the opponent won't want them scurrying up a flank to mess with their lighter units.

You get more opportunities to activate but none of the activations are any easier to pull off. They are all highly chancy.

1. Warrior Born is quite hard if either your Character or their is in a unit. You are can't target them or have to be careful the Bodyguard unit doesn't accidentally steal the kill. Characters with Precision are a possibility so Juciciar, Phobos Captain or the Frost Blade Enhancement can work here.
  2. Majesty requires getting onto your opponent's home Objective. It is doable with Deep Strike but it means dedicating effort to clearing Objective campers that may not be a priority threat.
  3. Bear needs a Character to almost-but-not-quite die which is a pretty narrow operating window and undesirable in any case. Get a Librarian to overcharge Smite in the hope in the hope he fails his hazardous test. 
  4. Beastslayer is probably the easiest to plan for if you take a TWC Lord with Thunderhammer and Black Death.

The problem with all of these apart from Bear is that they are win more mechanics. To activate them means you have already killed an enemy Character, stolen the enemy home Objective or destroyed a vehicle/monster. Those are all things that put you ahead.

I prefer the old mechanism where the Saga initially affects just the bearer. Then if they meet the Saga condition it applies more widely (squad perhaps). Maybe the rules should be that every Character can pick a Saga.

I completely agree that this makes it easier, but it's still dicey at best. The nice thing is we can throw cheap characters in squads with the WGPLs.

1. Warrior Born definitely needs Judiciar, Frost Blade, Phobos Captain, or Ragnar (who just wipes squads). I think it is the hardest of the 4 to pull off.

2. Majesty I can see being done fairly easily by WGPL either with a jump pack or in TDA.

3. Bear pretty much needs Murderfang, Bjorn, or a TDA character with Wolf Tail. Librarian failing hazardous could work too, but that's gonna be tough.

4. As Karhedron said, Beastslayer should be the easiest to pull off. Thunderwolves or Termies with chainfists are perfect for this.

I pray they go back to the old mechanic with the sagas and stratagems aren't related to the sagas. I'd love for the base rule to go back to Sustained 1 army wide, plus the sagas as they are and just change Warrior Born to something else like Fight First or advance and charge.

5 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I think Wulfen are hitty enough to be interesting. At 100 points they can just about clear an MEQ squad on the charge which is pretty much a threshold for combat-effectiveness. At S6, they can even punch to T11 targets with a fighting chance to wound. I agree they are a Distraction Carnifex but at 100 points with a 4++, moderately decent Hammers and fight-on-Death, the opponent won't want them scurrying up a flank to mess with their lighter units.

Arent they 80 points ?

Yeah I'll try 2x5 first and go from there. For 80pts they kill enemy screens and scoring units and seem decently tanky. If my opponent wants to remove them that means less resources to take out my own scoring units. Also I guess they can all take stormfrag so not shabby there either with blast. 

This is the change guide for all the index changes

Wulfen were not the only change for SW

They fixed keywords for multiple units (long fangs no longer broken and leaders for old marine keywords updated for new codex)

They improved WS for a few characters to 2

Will it matter?  Meh...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/NcELdKldijQmVCUS.pdf