Necron Rust Buckets

On my pile of shame are still a recruit & commander box from 9th 40K and the idea was a while ago to paint the Necrons in a rusty fashion because they hail naturally from a junkyard planet like the dudes in the transformer cartoon of the 80s. I just ordered a bunch of rusty colours and trash/junk bases to make them feel at home. However there are many recipes to do rusty stuff and I wanted to ask here what approach you preferred and what would look best. Also I haven´t decided for a colour of the glowing eye lenses. What would look best here for the brownish, rusty metal with an orange tinge? Maybe blue?

For rust (I've been doing Orks), I've been mixing Contrasts Gryph Orange and Gorgrunta Fur 50/50 as a base, then drybrushing either Iron Warriors or Leadbelcher over that, then adding scratched and highlights with Stormhost Silver.

You can see it in the images below, particularly on the vehicles,

There's "rusty" and there's "rusty" unfortunately! Old rust tends to be darker in colour, and new rust lighter, but really, it's sci-fi and "whatever looks good". :smile: 

You could go the whole hog and have them being almost all rust - you could use Typhus Corrosion with patches of Ryza Rust, and pick out the edges with a metal colour for that (as in this Duncan-era GW tutorial)? Or you could use pigments.

For a "slightly rusty" look, I've used Flesh Wash* and Vallejo's Model Wash/Wash FX (they have 3 rust colours) to create streaks. Vallejo have a couple of videos which may give you some ideas? :smile: 

Juan Hidalgo and Duncan have videos on rusty metal, which might help?

* from the 1990s! I assume Reikland Fleshshade would be a reasonable replacement

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Hmm ... apparently "rusty necrons" is a thing ... The Army Painter, Cult of Paint, and Artis Opus all have videos on it, and Tale of Painters also has a tutorial - don't know if any of them are any help?

In terms of the eyes, I think a bright colour would contrast well, so a bright/light blue, green, or red?

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Will you play Dare to Be Stupid to get in the mood to paint?

I can take a picture when I get home but I have been painting a bunch of terrain as a long dead forge world. I spray brown, drybrush brighter and brighter oranges over it, then sponge some metallics on. I don't know if it would work on infantry but I get a lot of compliments on the terrain and it was very fast to do. 

This is a heavily rusted look, not a metallic look with a bit of rust

Edited by Tyriks

How rusty do you want? For generically worn and grubby, spray with Leadbelcher, wash with Aggrax Earthshade and then drybrush with a bit of brighter steel or silver to highlight. Quick and simple which can be useful for getting the army ready to field.

For more complex rust effects, then the suggestions above are good.

14 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

There's "rusty" and there's "rusty" unfortunately! Old rust tends to be darker in colour, and new rust lighter, but really, it's sci-fi and "whatever looks good". :smile: 

You could go the whole hog and have them being almost all rust - you could use Typhus Corrosion with patches of Ryza Rust, and pick out the edges with a metal colour for that (as in this Duncan-era GW tutorial)? Or you could use pigments.

For a "slightly rusty" look, I've used Flesh Wash* and Vallejo's Model Wash/Wash FX (they have 3 rust colours) to create streaks. Vallejo have a couple of videos which may give you some ideas? :smile: 

Juan Hidalgo and Duncan have videos on rusty metal, which might help?

* from the 1990s! I assume Reikland Fleshshade would be a reasonable replacement

I have seen Duncan´s video a couple of months ago. Bottom right barricade of the thumbnail would be the look which I would like to emulate. If I am not mistaken he used special rust paints which can´t be bought here in Germany by my favourite retailer and I doubt you could easily replicate this by adding weathering powders. 

Edit:

I just watched the pillar tutorial with the various Vallejo weathering powders. Looks better than I expected although you would need the patience of a saint to apply all the different powders for each model. The mottled effect looked great. Also good to know to start with brown as a basecoat. Naturally I would have went for a black one.

Edited by Deus_Ex_Machina