Limited Edition Books Going Forward

To go slightly off topic. What is killing me more then the LE is how limited the 'normal' versions of the books are becoming. Out of stock in no time at all and with eye watering re sale values for far too many of them.  Problems with limited editions is one things, they are at least marketed as limited, but when the non limited is also becoming very very limited the problems grows in scale. The fomo is crazy. 

I know, several volumes from the HH series are very hard to get without dropping a lot of cash. I think GW want to push people towards digital copies for older books rather than having to maintain constant print runs of physical books.

I consider all BL (print) publications as limited editions because of their minuscule print runs.  Sometimes I think they should just parcel out the imprint to a professional publishing house so that it is run properly.

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I know, several volumes from the HH series are very hard to get without dropping a lot of cash. I think GW want to push people towards digital copies for older books rather than having to maintain constant print runs of physical books.

With the old world (fantasy alert) coming out i wanted to read the Karak 8 Peaks books, ok so the trilogy is rare and costly on a book by book basis, no problem they put out a omnibus a couple a year ago right? That too is rare and costs about 200 euros. So a good x10 markup.  I dont understand how a book that is pretty damn recent is already so rare and costly. Either they made a print run so low its meaningless or the demand is there and they just refuse to fill it.   And thats old world! HH is the money printer, how is the whole series not constantly for sale as paperbacks??  It makes me feel like i am going crazy. 

I also noticed that some of the omnibus books releases in the last few years for 40K or Fantasy are going for incredibly high prices already.

I wanted to see if I could get the Orion trilogy omnibus for instance...forget it. 

Clearly even of the paperback re-releases they dont print many copies, it all sells out in weeks/months.

On 2/26/2024 at 3:30 AM, Felix Antipodes said:

<re: French’s AoS Vampire novel>

this version isn’t all that special.  Something a lot of BL LE releases of late have in common.

To be fair, it does include four short stories, which is nice to see collected in a special edition, even though undoubtedly previously released (all digitally? some in print?). This is what made me waver on buying it, but I agree with you re: getting over FOMO and OCD like collector mentality, caused by BL themselves.

13 hours ago, skylerboodie said:

To be fair, it does include four short stories, which is nice to see collected in a special edition, even though undoubtedly previously released (all digitally? some in print?). This is what made me waver on buying it, but I agree with you re: getting over FOMO and OCD like collector mentality, caused by BL themselves.

I was wavering initially because it collected the four shorts, but I have them already in other formats.  Just because their motto is “in all formats, eventually” doesn’t mean I should own it across all formats (like I once would have done) :biggrin: