Spray match for Ulthuan Grey?

I find myself using Ulthuan Grey a lot for basecoat, but struggle with it in the airbrush.

Does anyone know a close match in the Vallejo range? Or a rattle can would be just as good - maybe Tamiya?  Any ideas welcome.

It’s a fairly cool off-white, not far off Corax White.

1 hour ago, andes said:

There are a few conversion charts around the 'net. According to Dakkadakka's, close matches for Ulthuan Grey are Vallejo Model Color Ghostly Grey and Vallejo Game Color Ghost Grey.

Thanks, I think that’s Ghost Grey (Game Color) and Flat Aluminium (Model Colour). I will look for those - I’ll leave the thread ‘unsolved’ for now for rattlecan suggestions.

26 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

Thanks, I think that’s Ghost Grey (Game Color) and Flat Aluminium (Model Colour). I will look for those - I’ll leave the thread ‘unsolved’ for now for rattlecan suggestions.

Ha! You're right, I was off by a column. That's what I get for trying to be productive before the first coffee of the day :laugh:

I'm not aware of any. :sad: I think Ulthuan Grey is possibly a hard one to match, because it's not neutral?

As you've got an airbrush, would the Ulthuan Grey from GW's "Air" line be any good? From what I can see, the usual suspects don't have a good match - Colour Forge's "Ghoul Grey" is supposed to be a match to Grey Seer, Vallejo's Grey and Wolf Grey aren't right, nor is any of The Army Painter's :sad: 

++EDIT: Ghost Grey was one of the colours which got cut in Vallejo's Game Colour reformulation last year - Wolf Grey is probably the closest match in the current line.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

23 minutes ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

I'm not aware of any. :sad: I think Ulthuan Grey is possibly a hard one to match, because it's not neutral?

As you've got an airbrush, would the Ulthuan Grey from GW's "Air" line be any good? From what I can see, the usual suspects don't have a good match - Colour Forge's "Ghoul Grey" is supposed to be a match to Grey Seer, Vallejo's Grey and Wolf Grey aren't right, nor is any of The Army Painter's :sad: 

++EDIT: Ghost Grey was one of the colours which got cut in Vallejo's Game Colour reformulation last year - Wolf Grey is probably the closest match in the current line.

Thanks, I have Ulthuan Grey air but it dried out very quickly and is a pain to transfer to the dropper bottle, so had my fingers crossed for a short-cut.

On 2/3/2024 at 5:38 PM, Firedrake Cordova said:

Seems like Flat Aluminium might have been discontinued as well (or they didn’t like the confusion with all their metallic colours). I see they have an “off white” 70.820 which looks promising.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Sorry to necro my own thread, but in the absence of any response I took a chance and bought a can.

In my opinion it is pretty close. I would say it’s slightly more browny-mushroomy than Ulthuan grey, which is slightly bluer when you put them side-by-side, but ulthuan from the pot over the top is not creating obvious problems yet. 

I sprayed 12 clones and a speeder bike (Star Wars Legion) and then 10 Heresy World Eaters, and that used up the whole 100ml can! £10.69 including postage! So although it may be more convenient I’m not sure I can justify the cost when I have an airbrush and compressor (sunk cost fallacy!). I might go back to the airbrush, I’m still going to need that for my World Eaters blue after all …

IMG_3923.jpeg

Edited by LameBeard