Torrent rule question

Bear
Go to solution Solved by MichaelCarmine,

Hey all.

Hopefully a fairly simple one.

Can you turn the template ~90 degrees at the “x” point  when using a torrent weapon (in like a “L” shape)?

For instance, say you have a 18 inch torrent weapon and you measure straight 18 inches before putting the template down ~90 degrees sideways from the line you just measured to hit a squad of infantry that was hiding around a corner (or to cover a full squad that was partially obscured rather than just hitting the ~4 guys you could see).

The rules simply state the narrow end must be closer to the firing model than the fat end but that is about all it has to say (pg 249 of my core rules).

I feel like the answer should be “No” and the intent was to simply measure “X” inches before popping the template down facing roughly the same direction as the initial measurement line but the rule isn’t as clear as I would like.

Thanks so much for your time regardless!

• Solution

The way i see it, you absolutely can place the Template that way and therefore get a hit for each model covered.

But, since i don't know of any torrent weapon with the Barrage special rule, you can only kill what you see. So as soon as the models in LoS are removed, all remaining wounds are lost, as per the normal rules of allocating wounds.

7 hours ago, MichaelCarmine said:

The way i see it, you absolutely can place the Template that way and therefore get a hit for each model covered.

But, since i don't know of any torrent weapon with the Barrage special rule, you can only kill what you see. So as soon as the models in LoS are removed, all remaining wounds are lost, as per the normal rules of allocating wounds.

Thanks, I’ll check that out. So it seems like it could be niche useful to improve the chance of killing one or two dudes you can see (by putting the template over those you can’t). The bizarre thing is those chances are improved compared to targeting a unit that had just those two dudes in the open and no-one else! But I could live with that - I can convert a flame storm cannon for my boxnaut with a clear conscience.