Some Necrons Musings…

Prot

So this is more a statement of my Necron plans more than anything else. 

I’ve been playing the Hypercrypt and Canoptek Court more than anything else. 

Honestly I’d be surprised if the detachments took any nerf. The only red flag I see is the people playing 3 C’tans.  But beyond that, I want to ask if anyone has been playing the other detachments?

personally I keep making Annihilation lists but the rules seem so narrow that I always swap back to one of the two I mention above. Maybe I’m being too hard on it?

also I got tired of waiting for our local retailers and GW store to get stock in some items they never seem to get so I ordered 10 Lychguard and an HQ… forgot his name… I never replaced these units since selling my last Crons army. These units just never seem to hit the stores so I had to special order them. 

my intent is to get the Lychguard ready fir an Obeisance list. I do think this has potential , but they gotta fix the silent kings key words as well. I’m just curious if anyone has tried this detachment as well?

Finally, I’m on the fence about picking up the Pariah Crusade book. Has anyone got it?

I keep making lists for Obeisance Phalanx and then not picking them when it comes time to play. The feeling of missing out ends up being too strong, since there are so few units you can build around (especially since, as you said, Szarekh and Imotekh lack keywords). I don't want to bring a bunch of generic Overlords; since you cant get multiple free strats it feels like a waste. So I want to bring Imotekh in a unit but he lacks the keyword, so I feel like he just has to go in Lychguard. It ends up feeling like either half my army gets no benefit, or I didn't get to make the list I want, I made the list I had to in order to get the bonuses.

I still want to try it, though, which is more than I can say for Annihilation Legion. That one just feels like way too many hoops to jump through for such a tiny bonus.

13 hours ago, Tyriks said:

I keep making lists for Obeisance Phalanx and then not picking them when it comes time to play. The feeling of missing out ends up being too strong, since there are so few units you can build around (especially since, as you said, Szarekh and Imotekh lack keywords). I don't want to bring a bunch of generic Overlords; since you cant get multiple free strats it feels like a waste. So I want to bring Imotekh in a unit but he lacks the keyword, so I feel like he just has to go in Lychguard. It ends up feeling like either half my army gets no benefit, or I didn't get to make the list I want, I made the list I had to in order to get the bonuses.

I still want to try it, though, which is more than I can say for Annihilation Legion. That one just feels like way too many hoops to jump through for such a tiny bonus.

Yea, that's pretty much how I feel about it. I wish GW would fix the keywords. This is actually why I bought the 10 Lychguard. (I still gotta go pick those up).  

I want to do sword and board Lychguard (I still think that's the best build or so it seems) and put Imotekh in there. 

So as far as Annihilation detachment I do agree it's a lot of hoops for a reroll to charge (let's be honest the second half of that detachment bonus is barely, if ever, going to come into play). That being said, I do think the strats are very good. Imotekh for CP, and 6 Skorpekh destroyers with a Lord can be good. They are fragile, but even if this detachment had a lot of hardcore close combat (which it doesn't)... it would still fall flat on its face VS. the likes of Wolrd Eaters, CSM, some Nid Builds, and Orks.

The Annihilation detachment will in my opinion always need a huge shooty backbone to keep those mentioned armies honest. Even a Monolith has made it into some of my lists for the relocation ability, and some form of anti-tank. I just ordered a Heavy Destroyer to use the body for a conversion for a Destroyer Lord (I never replaced the old one I sold and he was a bit small back in the day).

The Enhancements are 'okay' but I think the strats could make this shine. At the end of the day I think this is still my least usable detachment. I just want to try it. The Canoptek Court is still a lot of fun even with the strat nerf. (I just use it on the Wraith squad now.) 

I do think the Wraiths are incredibly over valued. I have one 6 man squad and I can't tell you how many games they just get stuck on a squad of something and commence a 2 hour rock throwing battle. I think 1 squad is enough, and I shift the damage dealing to other units. It's still fun though.

Out of the box I was playing the Hypercrypt but I'm anticipating nerfs basically because a guy won LVO with it. (Although I still strongly believe he got exceptionally lucky to do so... I still think about those boxcars he rolled in the final....) I think the C'tan are the thing everyone is afraid of, and it will be very interesting when they are inevitably nerfed because I find it VERY hard to do any real damage beyond low-mid level infantry. 

When I get back to playing I have lists using the Awakened Dynasty and Canoptek Court Detachments. I'm not sure my collection can capitalize on many tools other than spamming characters and using strats and relics that have been more or less consistent across several edtions; both lists are basically the same. The Awakened Dynasty has my Overlord and Lychguard (sword and shield) while the Canoptek Court has my Nightbringer. I guess in a pinch I could make use of the Hypercrypt Legion's redeployment , but I'm dabbling with that anyway since three of my Crypteks became Chronomancers with the Technomancer's perma-cloak. I'd like to "one day" finish refurbishing my old Monolith but the chances of these rules still being around by the time I get to it are slim :laugh:

Obeisance looks sort of odd to me, though it may be my lack of Praetorians. The precision strat is pretty cool, as well the bonus to OC could be handy. I think it would be a lot more interesting to me if the strats called out Overlord units as well, and it would even start to shine a little if Lords were still in and were called out with the Detachment and Stratagem keywords. As Tyriks brought up, having to take multiple generic Overlords has drawbacks.

On 2/9/2024 at 11:43 AM, Prot said:

The only red flag I see is the people playing 3 C’tans.

Brothers, just played a game with 3 C'tans.  In the post-game WhatsApp "gg" round robin between players, 1 dude said, "你 3 C'tan 得罪人人," translated "Your 3 C'tan have sinned against all peoples."  That is SO true, oh man.  I'm still cracking up over this.

On 2/10/2024 at 1:36 AM, Prot said:

I do think the Wraiths are incredibly over valued. I have one 6 man squad and I can't tell you how many games they just get stuck on a squad of something and commence a 2 hour rock throwing battle. I think 1 squad is enough, and I shift the damage dealing to other units. It's still fun though.

The dedicated Necron player (played since when he entered The Hobby in 8th ed) did indeed field the 6 Wraiths + 1 Technomancer and it was kinda underwhelming.  We (it was a 3 vs 3 game) made the mistake of targeting it, but it wasn't a big deal for its points.  I gotta punch it up in Battlescribe but I'd rather have 2 a C'tan for about the same cost...edit - or would I?

I've since checked the points cost and stat profile.  Although it was still underwhelming in the way that player tried to use them, as a damaging unit vs. Elites, it's more of a highly survivable Objective holding unit against hordes.  I think I was skewed by how people talk about it on YouTube or whatever.

Edited by N1SB

Well I just played another Canoptek Court game.

I didn't know what to do with my 6 man Wraith unit so I figured I just try to tie up an Ork Battlewagon that had a payload of Mega Armoured Nobz. 

It kind of worked... he made the mistake of trying to clear out the Wraiths with the 3 Nobs. It was about a 4 round close combat that never really resulted in anything. 

I lost the Void Dragon to Ghaz and the dude riding the Squig thing. I had no choice, I was going to lose the flank. I managed to combine fire and take out Ghaz after that ridiculous 2+ invlun failed. But this was basically Sean Nayden's list, or very close to it. I managed a 3 point victory, and I'd have to say that was largely due to cards drawn. 

One thing was my inability to damage stuff this game. I mean once he uses the -1 to wound strat against my Immortals targeting boys, it becomes extremely hard to kill stuff. Sure he has his one turn Wahg, but what a turn that ends up being. Boss' with I think... 9 Fist attacks each.... that cleans up pretty good. Not much to re-animate after that game!