Tyranid Detachments in 10the Edition

Filius
Go to solution Solved by Xenith,

Omnomnom, fellow great Devourers,

I am currently building the rest of my Combat Patrol and Boarding Action Box, and after that, I will need more Minis. As I like quite a lot of minis in the range, I started to look into the detachments the Tyranids have in 10th Edition, to see whether there are any synergies within the Army I got (36 Termagants, 24 Genestealers, 9 Tyranid Warriors, 1 Broodlord, 1 Winged Hive Tyrant). I currently tend to get more Vanguard Organisms (I looove Lictors) and maybe add some Carnifexes in the mix, against Tanks and such. But before doing to I thought I'd ask how the detachments are … reviewed by you, fellow hive minds. I know from the discussions among the Space Wolves and Space Marines, that most detachments there are considered inferior. Is the same true for the tyranids? And … are there any detachments that are "better" than others? Or do you have that any general advice, when choosing from our current set of detachments?

Thanks a lot in adavnce and happy devouring, everyone!

Edited by Filius

ive only played using the invasion fleet, which is a great all rounder, being able to choose to be essentially doing more shots to infantry or auto wounding tanks gives great options and has decent strats etc.  probably the strongest detachment...

vanguard also seems to be very strong and is doing very well competitively. wither its cause it supports some of our strongest datasheets or that it gives subpar units that missing edge (genestealers)

synaptic seems to have a few nice boons though our syn units are hard enough to get enough out of to make it muchly viable

crusher is terrible. its doing fairly poorly and the requirements for triggers hurt the units that benefit from it most

unending swarm is likely decent but in play moving so many many tinys takes so much time that  they struggle against the clock. 

assimilation swarm... i dont think quite gets to where it needs to be competitively...not enough units that have key words or their datasheets not being strong enough...

• Solution

I've used a couple and keep going back to invasion fleet. It has a bit of everything. 

Vanguard I think will be great but you need to have the models that benefit from it in the army. I've tried synaptic also, but the benefits are less than the sustained hits or such from invasion. A 5++ on monsters is great, but you can also keep them near zoans, or in reserve. 

Crusher was poor. You need to be hurt to get any benefit, and many weapons are heavy anyway. I feel that nids lack the out right firepower other armies have to kill stuff, so you need small gaunts to take objectives, but each point spent on gaunts removes the effectiveness of the stampede. I think it could have also doubled the oc of monsters and it will wouldn't be the strongest choice. 

Edited by Xenith

Thanks a lot! That fit nicely to my first impression. I think I'll start with the Vanguard Detachment, as it fit's nicely to the minis I got, and I really like the advance and charge part, hehe. Also I managed to find another Boarding Patrol Box … so more Genestealers and another Broodlord for my Hive Fleet … :D

Fyi genestealers have changed in base size to 32 mm. Most wont care but some tourneys do. Easy  enough to stick on bigger bases but so long as you know. I dont think the new ones are that much better mind. I just stuck the old on top of yhe new

Oh! Thats very, very good to know. Thanks for pointing out. As I never play on tournaments. But last year I found out, that I looove basing. So bigger base = more fun for me. Plus: I just built 8 more, and haven't primed them yet. So … exactly the right moment to rebase them. Thanks again!