the two lost Primarchs - Speculations...

@EverythingIsGreat I guess what everyone took from that board, like all of them, was subjective; for me it was a wonderful sense of community, some of the modelling tips and advice etc and it really felt it was on the forefront as no-one had really tried that stuff before, along with some other groups that were doing the same thing such as the Tempus Fugitives. There was a reason berserker bunny helms were OOS for some years as they had been highlighted as a way to make MK3 armour for instance! But some of the kit-bashing and conversion work (in pre-printing days) was just insanely good, I think one guys stuff even ended up in WHW.

I definitely think the 'official' releases took some of the wind out of the sales as it perhaps reduced the need for that community and the work it was doing. For me though, things took a dark path as it was the period when GW started throwing C&Ds left, right and centre. The previous board admins had moved on and the new ones were (perhaps understandably) timid about what was posting on the board. Even the name of it changed because they were worried that somehow the term 'Great Crusade' was now copyrighted, and by the time posts and entire topics started being deleted (basically Finecast had been released at that time and so criticism was pretty rampant) and we know a lot of boards were going through a similar thing at that time. It stopped being fun at that point and I (and think a fair few others) decided it was time to move on at that point. I guess everything has it's time and it was definitely fun while it lasted!

Edited by Pacific81

Yes, your take is correct I think, I had forgotten the undercurrent of GW's heavy-handed tactics. And sure, it was a fun and exciting time, especially in the beginning where it was the only site of any kind devoted to 30K. The whole thing was fresh and unknown and therefore had unlimited possibility. It is interesting that some of the more heated arguments about the lore that I remember (about the character of the Primarchs, the nature of the Emperor, the appearance of the perpetuals etc.) are basically unresolved and resurface frequently, including on this board and this topic.