Cease and desist/Takedown requests

Go to solution Solved by Tyriks,

Greetings, frater.

I've been debating starting a project log for awhile, and I've been leaning more heavily into 3rd party (Pop Goes the Monkey, STL files, etc.) sources of bits for flair. 

I notice when I do a Google search for images using these bits, not much tends to come up. Is there a cease and desist entity I should be aware of? If GW wasn't so litigious, I wouldn't be asking. Or is Google doing screening on its own? Anyone know? Or is this just random chance?

Related, does anyone know if this would be a problem if a model with these bits figured prominently in a Youtube batrep?

If the search terms aren't commonly associated with the picture it would be hard to find them. For example my pictures of models with arms from Anvil Industries probably won't ever come up in an image search for those parts. You're basically limited to instances where people state which parts they've used alongside the image.

10 hours ago, BrainFireBob said:

If GW wasn't so litigious, I wouldn't be asking.

GW is actually pretty laid back and understanding about private design and use of 3d printed parts on models, and I have been at WHW where there has been unpainted armies on tables with very clearly 3d printed parts on display, and nothing was said. 

The problem arises if you start ripping off GW IP and designs and begin to sell GW's IP for your own profit, and that's when the lawyers come after you. 

One thing to remember is that most youtubers are ultimately trying to get noticed by senpai GW who they hope will then send them free stuff. GW does not acknowledge or feature extensively 3d printed armies or models, so most creators stick to pure GW models to allow GW to promote them. 

On 2/13/2024 at 7:32 PM, Xenith said:

GW is actually pretty laid back and understanding about private design and use of 3d printed parts on models, and I have been at WHW where there has been unpainted armies on tables with very clearly 3d printed parts on display, and nothing was said. 

The problem arises if you start ripping off GW IP and designs and begin to sell GW's IP for your own profit, and that's when the lawyers come after you. 

One thing to remember is that most youtubers are ultimately trying to get noticed by senpai GW who they hope will then send them free stuff. GW does not acknowledge or feature extensively 3d printed armies or models, so most creators stick to pure GW models to allow GW to promote them. 

Using all official GW minitures only gets you so far to be promoted/ affiliated. You also have to be a shill for the company. Same if you want a video game affiliate with the dev company etc. 

On 2/13/2024 at 8:32 AM, Xenith said:

Lately they have been going after designs that qualify as more than 20% different as well as free designs as well as things they clearly don't sell. They ban 3d printed parts from tournements yet I find them in white dwarf images all the time not to mention full 3d printed models winning bloody golden daemon awards. There's no real rhyme or reason to who they go after and they rely on you not legally challenging thier more :cuss: takedowns.

I think thier current policy sucks and only hurts the hobby and thier own reputation as for the OP's questions just don't mention where you got the parts at all and they will ignore it. I'm fairly certain thier lawyers operate without direction or oversight or knowledge of the outcome of the famous chapterhouse lawsuit so as long you just stay quiet about where you got your bits no one will get in any trouble. You yourself have the right to do whatever you want to your models and 3rd party sellers have the right to sell conversion parts but that doesn't mean GW's laywers won't issue a :cuss: takedown anyway hoping the creator won't challenge it.

They tried to take down Hellforged Studios awhile ago and being a law student they sent a legal challenge letter back and GW dropped it immediately. They know they don't have real legal grounds for alot of these takedowns but they do them anyway and it's really eroding my opinion of them as a company. So yeah basically don't ask don't tell and everyone wins.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova
=][= Don't dodge the swear filter =][=