someone restarting 40k I guess.

I have decided on the tyranids for getting back into the hobby (getting back into really isn't the right phrase more like 'buy massive amount of Warhammer and not doing anything with it) anyway I've but 5 spore mines, 3 ripper swarms, 3 termagants,  and 6 hormagaunts. I guess this is more of a blog than a topic but stay tuned (or don't)

image.jpeg.7ec3f1333d15ae0a32a51c8d3da94783.jpeg

Edited by terminator ultra

FWIW, @terminator ultra, welcome back! I'm making a similar journey myself in terms of getting back into the two aspects of the hobby (background and minis), with minis, and the painting of minis, delving back even further into the past. It's been almost 30 years since I did any mini collecting or painting so it's strangely nerve racking!

Alas, all my 'ole metal miniatures are lost to time and moving house (to another country), but I'm slowly rebuilding something of a collection of interesting minis that I want to collect and/or print (yes, I'm one of those people!).

I shall be following this topic as a source of inspiration for my own journey!

8 hours ago, Xenith said:

Is that the new schemes on the warrior or the one getting stripped?

it's the one getting stripped I'm really not happy with it in the slightest. (6 minute paint job)

5 hours ago, Kage2020 said:

It's been almost 30 years since I did any mini collecting or painting so it's strangely nerve racking!

well it's been like 3 for me (yes I can feel the never racking 

5 hours ago, Kage2020 said:

I want to collect and/or print (yes, I'm one of those people!).

cool! 3d printing is a great money saver!

ok a little bit of an update, I have 1 termagant (easy to build version)stripped and 3 spore mines. most of the paint is off but there is still a little (small patches in the cracks) does this matter?

I also have a few questions

-where can I find the list of tryranids that can be taken in games of kill team.

-I hate hormagaunts because they break so easily when scrubbing off paint (can this be fixed?

-why won't spore mines stay in there bases?

-is a spray on base coat valuable?

Good to meet you terminator ultra.

-The book you seek to get rules for your Tyranid Kill Team is The Kill Team Compendium.

-When removing paint from any spindly thin miniatures (like hormagaunts) breakage is a real danger. The best approach is to be gentle and take your time. I use a soft bristle toothbrush to get the details as clean as possible. 

-I don't know which version of spore mine you are working with; I am only familiar with 2nd and 4th edition spore mines that had slotted bases.

-In 4th edition I did a lot of repainting for my tyranid army. In some cases, a thin layer of black over a paint job would work well enough. Fast forward to now and I really like how the GW spray paints provide a good starting point. Some colors are better than others depending on the color scheme you plan on.

17 hours ago, bluezenscorpion said:

-The book you seek to get rules for your Tyranid Kill Team is The Kill Team Compendium.

thanks! ill try to pick that up

4 hours ago, Xenith said:

Plastic glue melts the components together, so while hormagaunts may break, you can bond them strongly back together again. Unless it's the toe meeting the base join on the old models: then you're in for pain and should probably pin them.

that's a bit of a problem as I have around 25 that like that

When removing paint from any spindly thin miniatures (like hormagaunts) breakage is a real danger. The best approach is to be gentle and take your time. I use a soft bristle toothbrush to get the details as clean as possible. 

yeah my approach Is pretty aggressive right now.

-I don't know which version of spore mine you are working with; I am only familiar with 2nd and 4th edition spore mines that had slotted bases.

the 1995 ones.

-In 4th edition I did a lot of repainting for my tyranid army. In some cases, a thin layer of black over a paint job would work well enough. Fast forward to now and I really like how the GW spray paints provide a good starting point. Some colors are better than others depending on the color scheme you plan on.

I'm thinking white with a blue carapace with some fleshy details. I put some paint on a spore mine yesterday to test this but is there any online painters for tyrannies that aren't broken?

Edited by terminator ultra