Lost to 40k. Need guidance to return

Torin

Good Day Wolf Lord,

I have not played 40k for a very long time and im totally lost with what to put in my list. Last active game was back in 8th & been playing since 2nd. Had only 3 games in 9th and got butchered by meta armies. I have been reading from the net... look like our SW have been place as a C tier army. Is it so. Has it been that bad. Knowing GW have the tendency of making new army super strong then nerf it later. Would appreciate if my fellow wolf lord would provide me some guidance on how to kickass in 10th ed. I want to show the local club that the wolves can still kick ass. I have been busy with LI & necromunda of late. Maybe due age factor( to lazy to carry so many minis:biggrin:).  

Cheers Brother,

Torin

I have a friend who is tearing up our local meta with his "wolf jail" list.  Advance charge and ride hard ride fast in a stormlance detachment with 21 thunder wolf models stuffs most opponents into their deployment zone or forces a grinding melee that very few armies survive.  Either way big primary scoring is a solid approach to winning games and wolf jail does it better than most 

The reason Space Wolves are not very good in the meta is that our Detachment (Champions of Russ) is probably the worst of any Marine Detachment (in fact, possibly the worst of any faction in the game).

However this does not matter as much as you might think because all Marines can run all Detachments. What this means in practice is that you can use Space Wolf specific units but run them in other detachments. A good example of this is to take multiple units of Thunderwolf Cavalry and run them in a Stormlance detachment (notionally White Scars but open to everyone). This gives them Advance + Charge as well as Fall Back + Charge.

Stormlance also works well with some of our other signature units. Blood Claws for instance get +1A and +1S on the turn they charge. Putting them in a Stormlance means they can get that bonus on every turn.

There are other options too. Grey Hunters are better than Tactical Marines, are pretty cheap and work well in Gladius or Firestorm detachments. This allows you to run old-school mechanised style lists with multiple squads in Rhinos and Razorbacks who shoot and punch better than regular Marines.

Success with Wolves largely depends on working out a good combination of units and detachment bonuses. It requires a bit more thought than some Chapters but it is still possible to run some fun and successful lists.

Welcome back to the fang! And … thanks for asking. I have no answer to your questions, but I really like to read all the other answers, hehe. That's what has always been great about this place: Just ask, and kind people share, what they know.

My version of the Stomlsnce list:

Wolves Stormlance 2k (2000 points)

Space Marines

Space Wolves

Strike Force (2000 points)

Stormlance Task Force

CHARACTERS

Canis Wolfborn (75 points)

• 1x Bolt pistol

1x Crushing teeth and claws

1x Wolf claws

Chaplain (60 points)

• 1x Absolvor bolt pistol

1x Crozius arcanum

Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Thunderwolf (95 points)

• Warlord

• 1x Close combat weapon

1x Storm Shield

1x Thunder hammer

• Enhancement: Portents of Wisdom

Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf (125 points)

• 1x Bolt Pistol

1x Relic weapon

• Enhancement: Fury of the Storm

BATTLELINE

Grey Hunters (85 points)

• 1x Grey Hunter Pack Leader

• 1x Bolt pistol

1x Boltgun

1x Power weapon

• 4x Grey Hunter

• 4x Astartes chainsword

4x Bolt pistol

2x Boltgun

4x Close combat weapon

2x Meltagun

Grey Hunters (85 points)

• 1x Grey Hunter Pack Leader

• 1x Bolt pistol

1x Boltgun

1x Power weapon

• 4x Grey Hunter

• 4x Astartes chainsword

4x Bolt pistol

2x Boltgun

4x Close combat weapon

2x Meltagun

Intercessor Squad (80 points)

• 1x Intercessor Sergeant

• 1x Bolt pistol

1x Bolt rifle

1x Close combat weapon

• 4x Intercessor

• 4x Bolt pistol

4x Bolt rifle

4x Close combat weapon

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS

Razorback (95 points)

• 1x Armoured tracks

1x Hunter-killer missile

1x Storm bolter

1x Twin lascannon

Razorback (95 points)

• 1x Armoured tracks

1x Hunter-killer missile

1x Storm bolter

1x Twin lascannon

OTHER DATASHEETS

Bladeguard Veteran Squad (180 points)

• 1x Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant

• 1x Heavy bolt pistol

1x Master-crafted power weapon

• 5x Bladeguard Veteran

• 5x Heavy bolt pistol

5x Master-crafted power weapon

Land Raider (240 points)

• 1x Armoured tracks

2x Godhammer lascannon

1x Hunter-killer missile

1x Multi-melta

1x Storm bolter

1x Twin heavy bolter

Long Fangs (180 points)

• 1x Long Fang Pack Leader

• 1x Bolt pistol

1x Close combat weapon

1x Meltagun

• 5x Long Fang

• 5x Bolt pistol

5x Close combat weapon

5x Lascannon

Long Fangs (180 points)

• 1x Long Fang Pack Leader

• 1x Bolt pistol

1x Close combat weapon

1x Meltagun

• 5x Long Fang

• 5x Bolt pistol

5x Close combat weapon

5x Lascannon

Scout Squad (65 points)

• 1x Scout Sergeant

• 1x Astartes chainsword

1x Bolt pistol

1x Close combat weapon

• 4x Scout

• 3x Astartes shotgun

4x Bolt pistol

4x Close combat weapon

1x Heavy bolter

Thunderwolf Cavalry (180 points)

• 1x Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader

• 1x Bolt pistol

1x Heirloom weapon

• 5x Thunderwolf Cavalry

• 5x Crushing teeth and claws

5x Heirloom weapon

5x Storm Shield

Thunderwolf Cavalry (180 points)

• 1x Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader

• 1x Bolt pistol

1x Heirloom weapon

• 5x Thunderwolf Cavalry

• 5x Crushing teeth and claws

5x Heirloom weapon

5x Storm Shield

Exported with App Version: v1.10.1 (38), Data Version: v336

It does quite well on secondaries and hits hard with lascannons to soften/ drop big threats. I haven't played versus new necrons but have had tight games against some of the other tough Mets lists like deathguard before their nerf.

Canis can be replaced with a battle Leader if you prefer I just like the sustained hits on the pile of attacks you get from the cav

The other trick to 40k is practice. Play the same list with only small tweaks many times before you give up on it.

On 2/14/2024 at 5:15 PM, Torin said:

Good Day Wolf Lord,

I have not played 40k for a very long time and im totally lost with what to put in my list. Last active game was back in 8th & been playing since 2nd. Had only 3 games in 9th and got butchered by meta armies. I have been reading from the net... look like our SW have been place as a C tier army. Is it so. Has it been that bad. Knowing GW have the tendency of making new army super strong then nerf it later. Would appreciate if my fellow wolf lord would provide me some guidance on how to kickass in 10th ed. I want to show the local club that the wolves can still kick ass. I have been busy with LI & necromunda of late. Maybe due age factor( to lazy to carry so many minis:biggrin:).  

Cheers Brother,

Torin

The rumors are true...we are a tier below other SM lists bc our unique characters and rules are bad.

CP generation is 1 item I will point out.  You can make the exact same vanilla marine list but UM and DA get to play with 1 extra CP a turn.

Ultras have Calgar who is S tier by himself.

Auto CP generator and grants adv+shoot/charge to his attached unit + has major melee all by himself + victrix.  Add him to basic intercessors (how I run him) or BGV or Aggressors and the synergy is amazing

DA have azrael who is CP generator and also makes intercessors real good

Intercessors and the sticky ability are worth it FYI

Blood angels have the Dreadnought casting teleport.  I use this for my SM teams list in vanguard with 2 Centurion bricks.  They both reposition and fire every turn.  4" movement is not a problem.

How do we get around it?  I just finished experimenting with other chapters and am back to SW.  I have ideas but it is theory still.

Use our unique rules/units or why bother with SW

First off I am anti TWC and stormlance.  I tested it and hated it.  We can have a totally separate discussion on that if people want.

You can add inquisitor coteaz as an attempt to generate CP (2+ you gain CP if opponent uses an ability to gain CP).  Most S tier armors generate CP.

I almost always add Bjorn and/or callidus to vect armor of contempt (melee AP is real bad this edition). 

Gladius / ironstorm / vanguard are all good...depends on the army you want to run.

Gladius you need aggressor + biologis + fire discipline in a LRR.  Add wulfen bricks and you can play for a massive assault doctrine turn.  I'd add erminator Logan and keep him in reserves so he can't die before doing his waaagh (yes you can use that ability while in reserves).  My Gladius armies are usually balanced with transports/shooting/melee elements.

Itonstorm murderfang is the deadliest thing we can field.  To unleash his full combo you need all the CP you can get.  Rapid ingress + ancient fury + tank shock + mercy is weakness.

Rapid ingress gets you in close without being shot and overcomes lack of advance + charge.  Come in out of LOS of anti tank guns...that's all you need.  Ancient fury gives +1 move toughness and OC and +1 to hit (good bc MF is WS3).   Tank shock with  S14 means 16 dice and 5-6 mortal wounds.  Mercy is weakness in 5+ with oath and hitting on 2s means his 8 attacks turn into 10+ attacks.  Pile into a nearby unit and activate again for even more fun.

Wulfen can also use mercy is weakness and get sustained hits on 6s.  Gladiator Lancer don't need oath in this Detachment so your melee unit is always able to benefit.

Vanguard is for the sneaky thinking generals.  Sticky all objectives and keep away from enemy using 6" auto retreat strat if charged.  I like using a morkai hound combo here that lets you pair with a phobos LT and come out of reserves...shoot and move d6" (lt rule) then charge from close.  You also cause BS test when you shoot.  Sneaky way to grab an objective opponent thinks is safe.

Similar trick with eliminator shoot and scoot but can't get as far as a charge.  

Here are some sample armies for each Detachment

Murderfang ironstorm

Spoiler

++ Army Roster (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 2. Strike Force (2000 Point limit)

Detachment: Ironstorm Spearhead

Show/Hide Options: Agents of the Imperium are visible, Imperial Knights are visible, Titans are visible, Unaligned Forces are visible, Unaligned Fortifications are visible

+ Epic Hero +

Murderfang [170pts]: Heavy Flamer, Storm bolter, The Murderclaws

+ Character +

Librarian in Phobos Armour [70pts]: Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Smite, Warlord

+ Battleline +

Intercessor Squad [80pts]: Astartes Grenade Launcher

. Intercessor Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Bolt Rifle, Power Fist
. 4x Intercessors: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Bolt Rifle, 4x Close Combat Weapon

+ Infantry +

Eliminator Squad [75pts]

. 2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt Pistol, 2x Close Combat Weapon, 2x Las Fusil
. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Instigator Bolt Carbine

Eliminator Squad [75pts]

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Instigator Bolt Carbine

Inceptor Squad [130pts]: Assault Bolters

. 2x Inceptor: 2x Close Combat Weapon
. Inceptor Sergeant: Close Combat Weapon

Infiltrator Squad [100pts]: Helix Gauntlet, Infiltrator Comms Array

. Infiltrator Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Marksman Bolt Carbine
. 4x Infiltrators: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Close Combat Weapon, 4x Marksman Bolt Carbine

. 4x Infiltrators: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Close Combat Weapon, 4x Marksman Bolt Carbine

Scout Squad [65pts]

. Scout Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
. Scout w/ Heavy Weapon: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Heavy Bolter
. Scout w/ Scout Sniper Rifle: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Scout Sniper Rifle
. 2x Scouts w/ Astartes Shotgun: 2x Astartes Shotgun, 2x Bolt Pistol, 2x Close Combat Weapon

Scout Squad [65pts]

. Scout w/ Scout Sniper Rifle: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Scout Sniper Rifle
. 2x Scouts w/ Astartes Shotgun: 2x Astartes Shotgun, 2x Bolt Pistol, 2x Close Combat Weapon

Scout Squad [65pts]

Wulfen [160pts]

. 10x Wulfen w/ hammer, shield and launcher: 10x Storm shield, 10x Stormfrag auto-launcher, 10x Wulfen hammer

Wulfen [160pts]

. 10x Wulfen w/ hammer, shield and launcher: 10x Storm shield, 10x Stormfrag auto-launcher, 10x Wulfen hammer

+ Vehicle +

Gladiator Lancer [160pts]: 2 Storm Bolters, Armoured Hull, Icarus Rocket Pod, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, Lancer Laser Destroyer

Gladiator Lancer [160pts]: 2 Storm Bolters, Armoured Hull, Icarus Rocket Pod, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, Lancer Laser Destroyer

+ Allied Units +

Inquisitor Coteaz [75pts]: Bolt pistol, Nemesis daemon hammer, Psychic Blast

++ Total: [2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Bjorn vanguard

Spoiler

+ Configuration +

Detachment: Vanguard Spearhead

Show/Hide Options: Agents of the Imperium are visible, Imperial Knights are visible, Titans are visible, Unaligned Forces are visible, Unaligned Fortifications are visible

+ Epic Hero +

Bjorn the Fell-Handed [180pts]: Heavy Flamer, Helfrost cannon, Trueclaw

+ Character +

Librarian in Phobos Armour [100pts]: Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Shadow War Veteran, Smite, Warlord

+ Battleline +

+ Infantry +

Eliminator Squad [75pts]

Scout Squad [65pts]

Scout Squad [65pts]

Wulfen [80pts]

. 5x Wulfen w/ hammer, shield and launcher: 5x Storm shield, 5x Stormfrag auto-launcher, 5x Wulfen hammer

Wulfen [80pts]

. 5x Wulfen w/ hammer, shield and launcher: 5x Storm shield, 5x Stormfrag auto-launcher, 5x Wulfen hammer

Wulfen [80pts]

+ Beast +

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]

. 5x Fenrisian Wolf: 5x Teeth and claws

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]

+ Vehicle +

+ Allied Units +

Callidus Assassin [90pts]: Neural shredder, Phase sword and poison blades

Bjorn Centurion vanguard

Spoiler

++ Army Roster (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [1,995pts] ++

+ Configuration +

+ Epic Hero +

+ Character +

Librarian in Phobos Armour [70pts]: Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Smite, Warlord

+ Battleline +

+ Infantry +

Centurion Devastator Squad [370pts]

. Devastator Centurion: Centurion Fists, Centurion Missile Launcher, Grav-cannon

. Devastator Centurion: Centurion Fists, Centurion Missile Launcher, Grav-cannon

. Devastator Centurion Sergeant: Centurion Fists, Centurion Missile Launcher, Grav-cannon

Centurion Devastator Squad [370pts]

. Devastator Centurion Sergeant: Centurion Fists, Centurion Missile Launcher, Grav-cannon

Inceptor Squad [260pts]: Assault Bolters

. 5x Inceptor: 5x Close Combat Weapon

Inceptor Squad [130pts]: Plasma Exterminators

Inceptor Squad [130pts]: Plasma Exterminators

Scout Squad [65pts]

Scout Squad [65pts]

+ Allied Units +

++ Total: [1,995pts] ++

Logan Gladius

Spoiler

+ Configuration +

Detachment: Gladius Task Force

+ Epic Hero +

Logan Grimnar [100pts]: Storm Bolter, The Axe Morkai, Warlord

+ Character +

Apothecary Biologis [85pts]: Absolver Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Fire Discipline

Librarian in Phobos Armour [70pts]: Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Smite

+ Battleline +

+ Infantry +

Aggressor Squad [240pts]

. Aggressor Sergeant: Twin Power Fist

. 5x Aggressors: 5x Twin Power Fist

. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets & Fragstorm Grenade Launcher: Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Scout Squad [65pts]

Scout Squad [65pts]

Wulfen [160pts]

Wulfen [160pts]

+ Beast +

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]

+ Vehicle +

Land Raider Redeemer [260pts]: Armoured Tracks, 2x Flamestorm Cannon, Twin Assault Cannon

+ Allied Units +

Edited by TiguriusX
clean up

16 hours ago, TiguriusX said:

First off I am anti TWC and stormlance.  I tested it and hated it.  We can have a totally separate discussion on that if people want.

I am curious as to your thoughts here.

I am returning to the game and most of the competitive lists I have seen include at least two full sized TWC packs with attached characters, at least in the U.S. meta.

I do think it has issues dealing with screens, but I think that can be mitigated by using wulfen or maybe JP assault intercessors.

Thanks for the interesting list suggestions though!

I am taking stock of my collection to see what I can put onto the field.

This list is what I am currently building towards:

Spoiler

+ DETACHMENT: Ironstorm Spearhead
+ TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 2000pts

CHARACTER

Char1: Librarian in Phobos Armour 

Char2: Techmarine  • 1x Target Augury Web [Aura]

Char3: Techmarine  • 1x Adept of the Omnissiah

Char4: Bjorn the Fell-Handed

5x Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs 

3x Inceptor Squad 

3x Inceptor Squad 

5x Infiltrator Squad 

5x Scout Squad 

5x Scout Squad 

5x Scout Squad 

5x Wulfen 

5x Wulfen 

Gladiator Lancer 

Gladiator Lancer 

Gladiator Reaper 

Repulsor Executioner 

Edited by wulfgar hammerfist

5 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

TWC are a bit dependent on terrain. Sometimes they struggle on more densely loaded tables.

I agree.

The base size leaves me wondering how the TWC heavy lists are doing so well.

I haven't played since 7th edition, so I am way out of practice!

1 hour ago, wulfgar hammerfist said:

I am curious as to your thoughts here.

I am returning to the game and most of the competitive lists I have seen include at least two full sized TWC packs with attached characters, at least in the U.S. meta.

I do think it has issues dealing with screens, but I think that can be mitigated by using wulfen or maybe JP assault intercessors.

Thanks for the interesting list suggestions though!

I am taking stock of my collection to see what I can put onto the field.

This list is what I am currently building towards:

Reveal hidden contents

CHARACTER

Char1: Librarian in Phobos Armour 

Char2: Techmarine  • 1x Target Augury Web [Aura]

Char3: Techmarine  • 1x Adept of the Omnissiah

Char4: Bjorn the Fell-Handed

3x Inceptor Squad 

3x Inceptor Squad 

5x Infiltrator Squad 

5x Scout Squad 

5x Scout Squad 

5x Scout Squad 

5x Wulfen 

5x Wulfen 

Gladiator Lancer 

Gladiator Lancer 

Gladiator Reaper 

Repulsor Executioner 

Let me first explain where I am coming from.  I am a digital space wolf.  100% of my games are now online using table top simulator.

Anyone can have any model that exists...they don't need to buy and build it first.  That means everyone has equal access to top tier units.   

As a result the community can be very competitive. 

I am very proud that I am currently ranked 7th overall using just marines.  Everyone above me has used top tier meta armies

https://www.bestcoastpairings.com/rankings/R7CQF1FCWQ

I usually go X-1 in events

I've even gone 3-1 with TWC and stormlance but it was my least favorite list testing experience.  I definitely felt I was at the mercy of pairings to succeed.

Based on that experience it is my opinion that TWC stormlance lists are gimmick lists.  They can beat random people and lists but they will not get you wins against the top players/lists.

I play in events that use GW fixed layout.  It is not good for TWC.

TWC have huge bases and can't go through walls.  They are extremely limited by the maps and terrain I play on. 

TWC are hard countered by screening units.  If I walk 1.1" away from you then your TWC isn't doing much in the following turn.  Screening units are real important...every marine should be taking 2+ scouts.  They are still worth it after the points hike.  Every competitive player will have tools to screen b/c there are speed based meta armies you need to deal with (world eaters scout moves + orks + votann pioneers with scout move + chaos knight karnivores who can ghost walk etc.)

TWC hit like a wet noodle.  TWC melee weapons are AP1.  When they hit something with a 2+ armor save they bounce.  Even 3+ armor saves can spike and ignore TWC

The best usage for TWC is to steal objectives using OC2 if they can find a path or stand on their own objective and try to score.  But most armies are more than capable of erasing 1 brick of TWC.

Finally...TWC are not points efficient once you start adding characters to the unit.  280+points can get you much better tools to play the game.

Let me give some examples 

You are facing another marine list...ironstorm.  They have lots of redemptors (cheaper than TWC + characters).  What are your TWC doing against a redemptor blocking a choke point?

You are facing another marine list...gladius.  They have the aggressor + LRR combo.  What are the TWC doing against a LRR?  How many TWC survive the aggressors popping out and shooting?  FYI the aggressors can rinse/repeat this all game long.  Because if you move within 9" to charge they can use SQUAD TACTICS to reactive move and hop back into the LRR

You are facing another marine list...vanguard.  You charge his forward screen elements (scouts/infiltrators etc.).  The vanguard player spends 1 CP and uses 6" movement to go through a wall...now your TWC can't follow.

Can TWC work in a list?  Ya they can.

Are they the best usage of our codex?  I don't believe they are

Edited by TiguriusX

image.png.02bb7f8fb8024c90f924f7c5430f04d6.png

I'm big on examples so I wanted to share one from a game I just finished a few minutes ago.

My vanguard against ironstorm.  C4 (scramblers + ritual)

My entire list is built on stealing objectives and putting a sticky then running if I get 1st turn.  Mission is REAL bad for me

I also don't have a ton of anti tank

My list

Spoiler

Behold!
3 vects in a single list!

+ Configuration +

+ Epic Hero +

+ Character +

Librarian in Phobos Armour [100pts]: Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Shadow War Veteran, Smite, Warlord

+ Battleline +

+ Infantry +

Eliminator Squad [75pts]

Scout Squad [65pts]

Scout Squad [65pts]

Wulfen [80pts]

Wulfen [80pts]

Wulfen [80pts]

+ Beast +

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]

+ Vehicle +

+ Allied Units +

His list 

Spoiler

Duel 1971 Vroom Vroom

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ FACTION KEYWORD: Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Ravens
+
+ WARLORD: Char2: Techmarine
+ ENHANCEMENT: Master of the Machine War [Aura] (on Char2: Techmarine)
& Target Augury Web [Aura] (on Char3: Techmarine)
+ NUMBER OF UNITS: 16
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CHARACTER

1x Apothecary Biologis (55 pts)
• 1x Absolver Bolt Pistol
• 1x Close Combat Weapon

1x Techmarine (75 pts)
• 1x Forge Bolter
• 1x Grav-pistol
• 1x Omnissian Power Axe
• 1x Servo-arm
• Warlord
• Master of the Machine War [Aura]

1x Techmarine (95 pts)
• 1x Forge Bolter
• 1x Grav-pistol
• 1x Omnissian Power Axe
• 1x Servo-arm
• Target Augury Web [Aura]

BATTLELINE

5x Intercessor Squad (80 pts)
• 1x Bolt Pistol
• 1x Bolt Rifle
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 4x Intercessors
• 4x Bolt Pistol
• 4x Bolt Rifle
• 4x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Astartes Grenade Launcher

5x Intercessor Squad (80 pts)
• 1x Bolt Pistol
• 1x Bolt Rifle
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 4x Intercessors
• 4x Bolt Pistol
• 4x Bolt Rifle
• 4x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Astartes Grenade Launcher

OTHER DATASHEETS

6x Eradicator Squad (190 pts)
• 3x Eradicator
• 3x Bolt Pistol
• 3x Close Combat Weapon
• 3x Melta Rifle
• 1x Eradicator Sergeant
• 1x Bolt Pistol
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Melta Rifle
• 2x Eradicator with Multi-melta
• 2x Bolt Pistol
• 2x Close Combat Weapon
• 2x Multi-melta

5x Infiltrator Squad (100 pts)
• 1x Infiltrator Sergeant
• 1x Bolt Pistol
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Marksman Bolt Carbine
• 4x Infiltrators
• 4x Bolt Pistol
• 4x Close Combat Weapon
• 4x Marksman Bolt Carbine
• Helix Gauntlet

5x Infiltrator Squad (100 pts)
• 1x Infiltrator Sergeant
• 1x Bolt Pistol
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Marksman Bolt Carbine
• 4x Infiltrators
• 4x Bolt Pistol
• 4x Close Combat Weapon
• 4x Marksman Bolt Carbine
• Helix Gauntlet

5x Scout Squad (65 pts)
• 1x Scout Sergeant
• 1x Bolt Pistol
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Boltgun
• 2x Scout
• 2x Bolt Pistol
• 2x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Scout Sniper Rifle
• 2x Scouts
• 2x Bolt Pistol
• 2x Boltgun
• 2x Close Combat Weapon

1x Gladiator Lancer (160 pts)
• 1x Armoured Hull
• 1x Icarus Rocket Pod
• 1x Ironhail Heavy Stubber
• 1x Lancer Laser Destroyer
• 1x 2 Storm Bolters

1x Gladiator Lancer (160 pts)
• 1x Armoured Hull
• 1x Icarus Rocket Pod
• 1x Ironhail Heavy Stubber
• 1x Lancer Laser Destroyer
• 1x 2 Storm Bolters

1x Predator Destructor (130 pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Hunter Killer Missile
• 1x Predator Autocannon
• 1x Storm Bolter
• 2x Heavy Bolter

1x Predator Destructor (130 pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Hunter Killer Missile
• 1x Predator Autocannon
• 1x Storm Bolter
• 2x Heavy Bolter

1x Redemptor Dreadnought (210 pts)
• 1x Icarus Rocket Pod
• 1x Redemptor Fist
• 1x Macro Plasma Incinerator
• 1x Onslaught Gatling Cannon
• 1x Twin Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

1x Redemptor Dreadnought (210 pts)
• 1x Icarus Rocket Pod
• 1x Redemptor Fist
• 1x Macro Plasma Incinerator
• 1x Onslaught Gatling Cannon
• 1x Twin Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

1x Storm Speeder Thunderstrike (160 pts)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Stormfury Missiles
• 1x Thunderstrike Las-talon
• 1x Twin Icarus Rocket Pod

I went with fixed objectives b/c the map lets you spawn them and hide safely behind DZ walls

Cleanse + Deploy teleport homers

I won roll to deploy first and threw scouts to screen him out and take good positions

I won roll to go first and boxed him into his DZ.  These scouts deployed 9" from his lines and advanced to within 1.1"

I got 2 lancers firing at the redemptor and it had 2 wounds remaining.  

Scouts threw a grenade and finished it off

But killing it was not the point...I'm sharing this because infantry screening units can completely shut down opponents that can't go through walls by using choke points.  In this game it was a redemptor and a bunch of vehicles.  TWC have the same problem but don't even shoot when move blocked.

Even if I went second my opponent was only moving 9" forward into the choke point and killing 65pts of scouts

14 hours ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

@TiguriusX is Coteaz that good? I assume the Intercessors are in the list to babysit him. I always find your input fascinating due to your experience. Also Logan in the gladius. What’s the play there?

Coteaz has 1 job...generate CP on a 2+ against S tier armies that do the same thing.

In other games he is completely useless and serves as a glorified action monkey (reserve then teleport homer etc.)

Just be careful not to give away assassination...if the card has already been used then gladly sacrifice him.

In a game I just played against ironstorm SM I attached him to the intercessors.  His AP3 hammer was a threat to the 2+ redemptors I was facing.  

I would gladly throw him in if I needed to pick off the final wound.

But the intercessors are not there for coteaz.  I am finding sticky objectives and the ability to move block the opponent or simply run away and deny a charge onto the objective (vanguard detachment stratagem) to be very valuable.  If I get 1st turn in a game I sticky my home objective and one of my forward units spends a CP to sticky and booby trap another objective in no man's land.  Then I run away if he is slow or move forward to block them as needed.  The intercessors then run to the safest no mans land objective and try to sticky that at some point or use their OC2 to deny primary scoring if opponent pushes up.

As for logan in the gladius I shared...he has 1 super power unique to SW.  On an important turn Logan can activate what I call the SW Waaaagh.  Reroll ALL charges and reroll ALL hits in melee.  And this is guaranteed to happen b/c you simply keep Logan in reserves and activate his ability without risk of losing him turns 1-3.

In my gladius list there are aggressors + 2xwulfen bricks who can take advantage of the Logan abilities.

The BEST turn possible is to put the entire army into assault doctrine so wulfen get advance and charge.  However, you want to put the aggressors in dev doctrine and use their shooting with oath of moment to obliterate something with all the auto wounds and exploding hits.

You then go in hard with wulfen bricks and even the aggressors if something survived.

1 wulfen brick gets honor the chapter for lance and +1 AP

After that Logan is expendable as an action monkey.  But with 2+/4++ he isn't easy to kill if he lands in the enemy backfield near chaff.  Usually forces someone to commit or Logan runs around clearing chaff objective holders

Edited by TiguriusX

On 2/17/2024 at 3:28 PM, TiguriusX said:

Let me first explain where I am coming from.  I am a digital space wolf.  100% of my games are now online using table top simulator.

Anyone can have any model that exists...they don't need to buy and build it first.  That means everyone has equal access to top tier units.   

As a result the community can be very competitive. 

I am very proud that I am currently ranked 7th overall using just marines.  Everyone above me has used top tier meta armies

https://www.bestcoastpairings.com/rankings/R7CQF1FCWQ

I usually go X-1 in events

I've even gone 3-1 with TWC and stormlance but it was my least favorite list testing experience.  I definitely felt I was at the mercy of pairings to succeed.

Based on that experience it is my opinion that TWC stormlance lists are gimmick lists.  They can beat random people and lists but they will not get you wins against the top players/lists.

I play in events that use GW fixed layout.  It is not good for TWC.

TWC have huge bases and can't go through walls.  They are extremely limited by the maps and terrain I play on. 

TWC are hard countered by screening units.  If I walk 1.1" away from you then your TWC isn't doing much in the following turn.  Screening units are real important...every marine should be taking 2+ scouts.  They are still worth it after the points hike.  Every competitive player will have tools to screen b/c there are speed based meta armies you need to deal with (world eaters scout moves + orks + votann pioneers with scout move + chaos knight karnivores who can ghost walk etc.)

TWC hit like a wet noodle.  TWC melee weapons are AP1.  When they hit something with a 2+ armor save they bounce.  Even 3+ armor saves can spike and ignore TWC

The best usage for TWC is to steal objectives using OC2 if they can find a path or stand on their own objective and try to score.  But most armies are more than capable of erasing 1 brick of TWC.

Finally...TWC are not points efficient once you start adding characters to the unit.  280+points can get you much better tools to play the game.

Let me give some examples 

You are facing another marine list...ironstorm.  They have lots of redemptors (cheaper than TWC + characters).  What are your TWC doing against a redemptor blocking a choke point?

You are facing another marine list...gladius.  They have the aggressor + LRR combo.  What are the TWC doing against a LRR?  How many TWC survive the aggressors popping out and shooting?  FYI the aggressors can rinse/repeat this all game long.  Because if you move within 9" to charge they can use SQUAD TACTICS to reactive move and hop back into the LRR

You are facing another marine list...vanguard.  You charge his forward screen elements (scouts/infiltrators etc.).  The vanguard player spends 1 CP and uses 6" movement to go through a wall...now your TWC can't follow.

Can TWC work in a list?  Ya they can.

Are they the best usage of our codex?  I don't believe they are

I love your sharing your experience here! Always good sugestions and it sounds like youve had some time testing things.

I still love twc tho, and im running 3 units of 6. 2 with a lord and one with wgbl. So i keep them kind of cheap.

I use them mainly to clear screens and stand on objectives till the second wave comes (redemptor, bjorn, redeemer with 3 assault centurions).

I mainly run stormlance for the -1 to hit and wound on the twc, wich i can pop on the 2 units for free that are running forward.

I also love wind swift invasion, to pop centurions back in the redeemer or just move a unit out of charge range.

The big base sizes are a struggle, but can also benefit. So you can easely hold an objective, get cover and moveblock your opponent at the same time.

Putting your screens up is verry importand indeed, so imidiatly deploy a unit of scouts to block theyr forward deploy units, so you get at least one side of the table free to advance.

Last time i went 4-2 on a gt losing against csm and vanguard marine metalists before the balancedataslate. Im not super competitive, but 9th of march i have another try

1 hour ago, yan said:

I love your sharing your experience here! Always good sugestions and it sounds like youve had some time testing things.

I still love twc tho, and im running 3 units of 6. 2 with a lord and one with wgbl. So i keep them kind of cheap.

I use them mainly to clear screens and stand on objectives till the second wave comes (redemptor, bjorn, redeemer with 3 assault centurions).

I mainly run stormlance for the -1 to hit and wound on the twc, wich i can pop on the 2 units for free that are running forward.

I also love wind swift invasion, to pop centurions back in the redeemer or just move a unit out of charge range.

The big base sizes are a struggle, but can also benefit. So you can easely hold an objective, get cover and moveblock your opponent at the same time.

Putting your screens up is verry importand indeed, so imidiatly deploy a unit of scouts to block theyr forward deploy units, so you get at least one side of the table free to advance.

Last time i went 4-2 on a gt losing against csm and vanguard marine metalists before the balancedataslate. Im not super competitive, but 9th of march i have another try

Good hunting at the GT!!

Give us a batrep if you can

It has been too quiet in here for SW news...I should probably start up another saga thread myself

5 hours ago, TiguriusX said:

Good hunting at the GT!!

Give us a batrep if you can

It has been too quiet in here for SW news...I should probably start up another saga thread myself

Yes good idea. Its been a couple of weeks ago but try to remember as much as possible and write it down.

I was gone for a bit but was also happy to find this discussion alive and going.

21 minutes ago, yan said:

Yes good idea. Its been a couple of weeks ago but try to remember as much as possible and write it down.

I was gone for a bit but was also happy to find this discussion alive and going.

Stormlance trick in case you didn't know

Murderfang can use wind swift evasion to move 6"

If your opponent has made the mistake of moving nearby you can close the gap

And if anything shoots at murderfang he can use his special rule to "fight"

Every fight activation allows a 3" pile in if you can reach engagement range

So...if someone got within 9" and you moved 6" a 3" pile in gets murderfang into melee to swing if he survives being shot 

I pulled that off a few times while testing stormlance.  

Oooh I love it, i haven't played since 5th, i picked up 8th edition just as 9th came out so then bought 9th but still didn't play.  I just cant get over the fact that combat is done the way its done.  I still dont understand shooting into combat and i really cant get my head round how a guard or Gretchen could strike first against a marine.  Where the hell did initiative go.  

I do like the fact that different power weapons confer different stats as i never believed a guard with a power sword could cut through a terminator.

Well atleast i have loads of army lists to look at in the hope that i may end up playing a game one day.  So far its just building and painting for me.