Adeptus Mechanicus Detachaments (Rant Alert?)

The Adeptus Mechanicus detachments rules really do give us a ton of cool ways to play, which is awesome. But, you know, there's always that feeling that some options just don't get the love they deserve. Take the Rad-Zone Corps and Skitarii Hunter Cohort, for example – they're everywhere, and for good reason. But wouldn't it be great to see more variety on the tables?

I've been thinking, what if we gave some of the underdogs, like our stealthy Ruststalkers or the Infiltrators, a bit of a boost? I mean, imagine if Ruststalkers could dart in and out of combat more effectively. Maybe a new stratagem that lets them move after they fight? That could really shake things up and give them a moment to shine.

How cool would it be to have stratagems that actually change based on the type of game you're playing? Like, if there's a ton of terrain, maybe there's something that lets our units navigate it better, or if it's an objective-heavy game, something that gives us an edge in securing those points. It’d make each game feel fresh and require some new tactics.

Also, I've noticed that some of our Tech-Priests seem a bit, well, standard (maybe they will add different relics, warlord traits, or some unique abilities that let us tailor them exactly how we want in the future? ). 

Lastly, I think we could really benefit from some adjustments based on what the community is saying, especially for those playing in tournaments. If something's too strong or not strong enough, tweaking it could keep everyone on their toes and make sure all detachments are fair game. This army is hard to paint and i'll stick to that im no competitive player by any means, but if i spend ages trying to paint something might aswell... use it?

so what do you fellow followers of the Omnissiah think about the detachaments rules? They 100% need a buff they've been one of the worst armies regarding tournament play for a while... But maybe GW can do in a way... we also get more flexibility? Until then i'll stick to my Invasion Fleet :v)

I believe GW has just failed at choosing a theme for this army and a unique play style. They can’t make up their mind.

To those of us that love the army, or at least to me, the army should be hordes of cyber enhanced thralls alongside archaic weapons that deal horrendous damage; there should be weapons of war consisting of sturdy tanks and walkers, and a plethora of weird units.

Sounds like what we have, right?

Yeah but it just doesn’t work. We’re almost a jack of all trades army but we really need to shine at something and I don’t feel we do.

I don’t know what the solution is but we’re basically locked into this weird disjointed rule set with the canticles and doctrinal imperatives. I get that they were trying to do but it really falls flat.

For example, our vanguard always want to be moving, but to get their +1 to hit a la making their weapons heavy they need to stand still. 

The change to load outs and unit composition also work against us. Vanguard with a TUA? Kinda lame doesn’t fit, but you can make one because the kit has it!

Anyway, we’ve got our codex and these are our rules now. I don’t think they’ll make any big changes. We can hope though.

Finally, I love the weird stilt man. He’s just horrible. His rules are 100% the epitome of our army; does a couple things, just not well and worse than other options.

On 2/18/2024 at 8:03 PM, andrewbioform said:

what if we gave some of the underdogs, like our stealthy Ruststalkers or the Infiltrators, a bit of a boost?

Absolutely. AdMech work alright if you ignore about half of the units, but it just so happens to be the half of units that I really enjoy...

Infiltrators are... fine. They get you early points and then die like alot of other infiltrators in the game. Ruststalkers need help though... I think it'd be perfectly acceptable for both those units to go to 3+ WS.

My other bugbear is sulphurhounds. If they just had 12" sulphur breath to be able to flame out of reserves I'd be alot happier with them. Fave minis in the army, but they do very little other than occasional actions and as a speed bump.

Robots - it's just points. I think 80-85 each is way closer to reasonable for them... and I wish I could take 3 instead of 2 or 4.

Just can't escape the feeling that AdMech vehicles should be BS 3+ across the board as well. I like my las chickens but they rarely produce. Same thing with Onager - it's a cool datasheet that's really let down by only hitting half the time. I respect the idea that the infantry starting at BS4+ means that they aren't overpowered once you stack a character on there, but still feels like alot of our units need help.

Anyway - your rant is pretty much warranted. It's still a fun list to play around with, but it's definitely C tier, which is a shame for an army with a codex!

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

• 3 months later...

I have said it before and i will say it again, out detachments were written by people looking at both the 30k and 40k range. 

They saw a ton of cybernetica and wrote a cybernetica detachment, never coming to terms with the fact that cybernetica in 40k is 1 and only 1 unit. 

They made the cult mechanicus detachment and said 'between myrmidons, electro priests and some other stuff there is plenty' but again only 1 unit. 

And it just goes on and on, the people who wrote the detachments have no clear idea on what army they are writing for, but instead write for this fantastical version of mech that has all the toys from 30k and 40k. Its almost like they base in on the army lore, rather then the armies rules or miniatures.  Thats how you get things like castellans which do not get the main army rule, but instead when used in a legion cybernetica force they then 'get the mechanicus rule too'. Its made like there is some magical cybernetica sub army that has to be brought back into the main force by means of special detachment. Instead of you know 1 random unit in an army that honestly doesn't have that many units to begin with. 

Or how skitarii and cult mechanicus are treated like 2 separate entities.  Imagine a marine codex where units are separate by which company they belong to in the lore.  Our detachments are not detachments, they are very very very bad copies of 30k rites of war. 

Yeah I agree this army and codex are just bad because they really tried to make rules based on fluff in my opinion. Unfortunately the result is a disjointed jumble of mish-mashed ideas.

I played a couple of practice games of amdech with index, I do not own the codex. I’ve moved onto my new army new addition which is Gene Stealer Cults. Unfortunately, they’ve been hit pretty hard too lol. I am, however, enjoying GSC more than I did my index run with admech.

In the end, this is just a game about having fun, but we all want our toys to be worth something on the table. I look at all of these “competitive” army lists and tournaments and it’s really the same army for the most part showing up again and again and again.