Are Necrons very good against Tyranids? Fluff.

Token

Not sure if this should go under the Tyranids forum or Necron, but anways: Are Necrons really good against Tyranids? Does the shadow of the warp affect Necrons at all? There is nothing for the Tyranids to eat, so perhaps they even avoid Necrons? Fluff.

Thoughts on this from someone with more knowledge of the lore then me, perhaps?

There are references to Tyranids avoiding Necron worlds, but not absolutely.  Necrons are not affected by Shadow in the Warp.

I would say Necrons do well at killing Tyranids, but that the Tyranids also represent an existential threat to Necrons unlike other races. Tyranids might avoid every Necron world but still eat every living thing in the galaxy, thus undoing the hope of reversing biotransference.

Thanks for the reply, been watching/listening a lore video on Youtube, so the Necrons want to become flesh again? Thats what the reversing biotrasfernece is? Would they get theirs souls back? Or are those allready eaten by the Ctan?

Couldnt Tyranids be used for this, as they can pretty much put together any body they want, if they have the dna?

Edit: Karhedron, cool, so they wanto rule over other races, not just wipe them all out? Were the Blood angels punished for their alliance?

Edited by Token

15 minutes ago, Token said:

Edit: Karhedron, cool, so they wanto rule over other races, not just wipe them all out? Were the Blood angels punished for their alliance?

Not as far as I know. After the battle at the Cryptus system, the Blood Angels fell back to Baal and summoned their successor chapters to help defend the homeworld against the oncoming horde. The battle was long and hard with some Chapters such as the Knights of Blood being entirely wiped out. It looked like Baal was going to be overrun when a couple of things happened. Dante slew the Swarmlord leading the assault which disrupted the Hive Mind on the ground. Meanwhile the Great Rift opened which scattered the Hive Ships still in orbit.

In the aftermath, one of the Indomitus Crusade fleets led by Guilliman in person came to relieve Baal. They brought Primaris reinforcements to help rebuild the devastated chapters. Guilliman then appointed Dante his Regent in Imperium Nihilus. This suggests he approved the necessity of Dante allying with the Necrons. Guilliman himself has worked with the Eldar and has a Farseer on his war council so he is pragmatic enough to understand that some Xenos are more deadly than others.

The Necrons did trick the Blood Angels in that fight, though. They agreed to fight equally but the Necrons gradually pulled out and left the Blood Angels to do the bulk of the fighting. At least, according to that short by Goulding (can't remember the title, sorry). I don't know if that's expounded on anywhere else.

I think overall Necrons are pretty good against Tyranids, fluffwise, because they keep coming back, and because they're the only faction Tyranids can't replenish their own losses from.

Guardsman regiment gets overrun? Send in the rippers, have them devour everything and then hurl themselves into the digestion pools.

Necron position gets overrun? The last time someone tried to eat Necrodermis, it was the Kroot, and all they got for their trouble was a nanoscarab mechanoplague. Wouldn't go well for the Nids. And the Necrons just keep standing up. Plus, a lot of Nid ammunition lorewise is best against fleshy targets, iirc? Or at least the smaller caliber stuff. So that's less effective against Necrons as well.

And finally, there's the Null Field Matricies, which Hive Fleets have been recorded as going around like a river parts round a stone. NFMs cut off the warp around a Tomb World, but they're very complex, so they're not a mobile piece of kit, and usually a) fragile and b) buried in the heart of the tomb complexes.

I believe that the Silent King sees the Tyranids as the ultimate threat to the Necrons. Off the top of my head and without specifically citing sources, I think I read that his return is tied to seeing the threat of the incoming horde behind the existing invasion fleet tendrils.

There's also a short novel that came out with the Shield of Baal campaign series called Devourer, which shows Anrakyr battling Tyranid forces. There's several pieces about Necron vs. Tyranids across the Shield of Baal publications. It may be worth reading through some of it, or at least checking the book synopses for salient information.

I think ultimately if a Dynasty had full coherency and unrestricted access to its former technologies no faction would be able to stand against them. The thing is none of them seem to, and any one of those close to it are too busy infighting to consider the younger races a real threat.