7 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Love the concept... but the trailer looks pretty jank :( Hopefully the full version is better.

Nice to have some WH+ content though! 

I kind of hope it's a deliberately slow and stilted movement, like some kind of ethereal hyperrealism. Not exactly exciting, and I'm worried it will probably a poorer exploration of knights than found in various novels (e.g. Kingmaker, or Iron Kingdom, both of which do go into depth) - but I hope it gives us something special with it's chosen media and mediality.

7 minutes ago, andes said:

Not sure if it's really the case, but it sure feels like we've seen a disproportionate amount of Nurgle in the various 40k media properties.

It might just be recency bias, but it seems every Tale of Four Games for both 40k and AoS have a Nurgle player every season. 

Nurgle (and Death Guard, by extension) has a bit of a perennial popularity, particularly since the range updates between 2014-2017. They tend to make the perfect "grimdark" opponent in fiction as well.

Pondering if this is a Boylan animation? It does share similarities to his work on Helsreach and Angels of Death.

I was told a while back (Like... A decade?) that Nurgle was the most popular chaos god by some margin, i guess because his colours are fun and forgiving whilst having a high ceiling to do weathering and bizarre illness? (Pretty consistently good models too) Like there was the running joke that every skilled painter is eventually compelled to paint the original plague marine :D 

I suspect thats only been more pronounced sinces hes been getting better and broader model ranges in the years since?

(If anyones interested it was Khorne second and then the other two i forget the order but a way behind)

1 minute ago, unrealchamp88 said:

Just watched it without audio whilst at work. It looks fan made to me, not something from a multi-million pound company. 

... which is what the majority of the Warhammer TV animations are? The only specifically commissioned animations are Blacktalon, Hammer & Bolter, Interrogator and Pariah Nexus so far; the rest are all fan projects.

14 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

I was told a while back (Like... A decade?) that Nurgle was the most popular chaos god by some margin, i guess because his colours are fun and forgiving whilst having a high ceiling to do weathering and bizarre illness? (Pretty consistently good models too) Like there was the running joke that every skilled painter is eventually compelled to paint the original plague marine :D 

I suspect thats only been more pronounced sinces hes been getting better and broader model ranges in the years since?

(If anyones interested it was Khorne second and then the other two i forget the order but a way behind)

Plus, Zombies are super easy. Like, anyone can draw a zombie, and everyone understands what to expect with zombies, and Nurgle has a LOT of zombies. 

57 minutes ago, Joe said:

... which is what the majority of the Warhammer TV animations are? The only specifically commissioned animations are Blacktalon, Hammer & Bolter, Interrogator and Pariah Nexus so far; the rest are all fan projects.

I guess the difference is that when you watch a fan animation on Youtube you can accept that maybe the quality doesn't look as great because it's someone doing this in their free time and putting it out, often for free, for their love of the universe or because they like animating. When GW puts there stamp on it, charges for it, and says they're the ones who are creating it then you expect (or can expect) a little bit more.

I'm not saying that the people who work on these don't deserve success or are not working hard, but when a multi-billion pound company puts out an animation it's fair to have higher expectations than some dude/dudette on their computer working on a side project. Even if that is still what is happening, it has a different connotation when it's coming from a corporation

That being said, animation iffiness aside, it was cool and the shot of all of the Imperial Knights lined up was pretty nice.

3 hours ago, andes said:

Not sure if it's really the case, but it sure feels like we've seen a disproportionate amount of Nurgle in the various 40k media properties.

Not just media, but the 40K and AoS game also.

Nurgle is just pretty easy, thematically. Big and fat with disease. Probably fun for the sculptors also. Nurgle got the big release pre-AoS with the bloatflies, maggotkin, glottkin, and then all the DG stuff in 8th. Khorne came next, as while having a clear image, was probably difficult to make the army not just 5 kinds of berzerker.

Slaanesh and Tzeentch are comparatively hard to convey a theme for in model form for...reasons, the least of which being how to depict 'change' in a static model, or Slaanesh's various excesses in a videogame. We haven't seen a significant Tzeentch release since 2016 or so, Slaanesh had the gorgeous AoS stuff done a couple of years ago, and we await 40k stuff.

Nurgle and Khorne are seen more because they're just...easier. Boltgun and Space Marine 2 being the tzeentchy exception though. 

Edited by Xenith

2 hours ago, andes said:

Yeah, agreed on the 'why' of the Nurgle obsession... I'm just getting a bit burned out on Grandfather, no matter how generous his gifts. Ready for some Tzeentch or Khorne for a change.

Thankfully SM2 is Tyranids and 1KSons, neither of which are over represented and should be a fun change, as long as they can work out some of the issues. 

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Nurgle (and Death Guard, by extension) has a bit of a perennial popularity, particularly since the range updates between 2014-2017. They tend to make the perfect "grimdark" opponent in fiction as well.

It seems to go back a long way based on that Nurgle has been the most common army appearing in WD's Tales of Four Armies series

I can see what's wrong with the animation to some degree, but overall, I don't hate it. If it was done well in general, it could be something to watch.

...unfortunately, "done well in general" is a bar that W+ animations have yet to clear, so not a ton of hope for it.