Dan Abnett book signing sat 24th

Based off this Reddit post the question

"If they do a scouring series, will legions that were neglected in HH books get more writing? Like iron hands, they have currently no established novel characters alive during that time."

Was asked. The answer was

“People think the scouring is the sequel to the heresy, we have so many characters that need touching on. We don’t have anything planned yet thanks”

19 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

“People think the scouring is the sequel to the heresy, we have so many characters that need touching on. We don’t have anything planned yet thanks”

Ah yes. That's a confidence builder for folks when they can't manage to develop characters in a 60+ book series.

That being said, I do think it's more of a "I can't say anything until the actual announcement" than "Scouring, what Scouring?"

Edited by darkhorse0607

If he really said that...then there is no Scouring series coming despite what the rumors say and what Valrak was told.

Because that is an outright denial of the Scouring series being either written or planned. If he had wanted to be coy, he could have phrased that answer very differently.

Then again we dont know if this was actually said or is a wholesale invention by someone trying to be funny.

Edited by Taliesin

I'm surprised that the signing actually happened instead of Dan being kidnapped by scalpers...

Seriously though, I agree with Taliesin.

The way he phrased it feels more like a strict denial than a wibbly wobbly "No, it's not happening! *wink wink*" scenario. 

Or he more specifically meant he and Black Library.

GW is very tight-lipped on saying things will/will not happen and the flow of information in general (reference the WHC site, their social media, the fact that they won't let staff/authors go to Fest or BL days/often won't let them do interviews, etc), I find it semi-maybe-kind of- hard to believe that they'd be ok with Mr. Abnett going and saying that there is no plan for a Scouring from BL, essentially putting out a statement for the company given his status. Before the rise of the internet, maybe because word wouldn't travel. Now everything he says related to Warhammer gets no less than 52 different youtube videos

Not saying that he is lying, not saying it isn't true, I just honestly don't think BL would leave a source of income like that on the table given how much they want to recreate the Heresy in everything they do now. You have the Heresy "done," Dawn of Fire wrapping up within the next few months (or whenever BL puts out the novel, who knows with their schedule now), they're going to want a new series

I think it's also a possibility that Black Library is just going to distance itself from the Heresy for a bit and give people time to breathe while they catch up on like 7 different sequels/trilogies for 40k. I would not be surprised if the next time we see a decent amount of 30k fiction is a year or two after we get the Horus Primarch Novel (I suppose we have the Character Series ongoing as well to be fair).

9 minutes ago, grailkeeper said:

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F8829v7a61ikc1.jpeg

There's the reddit post. I meant to link to it earlier. I'm surprised the reddit OP didnt mention more of what Dan said.

Thank you for linking it, I went into the depths of r/40klore and didn't see it. Scary in there. Makes me appreciate this forum more

Thread doesn't say all that much but I can't be mad about it, if I was trying to get a bunch of books signed amongst a sea of people I can't say I'd have done any better

1 minute ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Thank you for linking it, I went into the depths of r/40klore and didn't see it. Scary in there. Makes me appreciate this forum more

Thread doesn't say all that much but I can't be mad about it, if I was trying to get a bunch of books signed amongst a sea of people I can't say I'd have done any better

Thats a fair point. I thought it might be more of a public Q &A rather than a one on one as you get your book signed. Explains why there's so little info in it. Shame.

5 hours ago, LemartestheLost said:

I think it's also a possibility that Black Library is just going to distance itself from the Heresy for a bit and give people time to breathe while they catch up on like 7 different sequels/trilogies for 40k. I would not be surprised if the next time we see a decent amount of 30k fiction is a year or two after we get the Horus Primarch Novel (I suppose we have the Character Series ongoing as well to be fair).

We are not going to see anything until they officially wrap up the Heresy, and that won’t be until - at least - the Horus Primarch novel appears.  BL hasn’t even hinted at a release time yet.  Adding to that, there has been a couple of eshorts released with the new HH (game) logo on the cover recently.  Just speculation, but maybe they are shifting gears from series to setting and if we get anything Scouring related it will come under a HH byline?

2 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

Just speculation, but maybe they are shifting gears from series to setting and if we get anything Scouring related it will come under a HH byline?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is the case and it would be a welcome change to the time period in my eyes. The Heresy and SoT in particular felt like a hype train with no brakes, and everyone was always in a frenzy about What Came Next in the main storyline in regard to Emps vs. Horus. Now that we have closure as far as The Duel goes, a lot of that frenzy is going to die down. Turning 30k into a setting with more standalone works is probably the most prudent thing they could do.

Edited by LemartestheLost

5 hours ago, DukeLeto69 said:

So nobody asked about Pandaemonium? Interceptor City? More Gaunt’s Ghosts? Only more milking of the very tired sacred Heresy cow?

The person who posted on reddit asked about the Heresy. We have no idea what any of the other attendees talked to Dan about.