Prot's Latest Dark Angels

Prot

This is... drumroll please... the last time I'm painting a Dark Angels army! Yup, I've sworn an oath, but it ain't a secret... this is the last time I'm going to allow myself to restart this army no matter how ugly it gets on the table top.

I just did something I'll never do again. Every night for the last two weeks I worked many hours to get the Deathwing Assault box done. From sprues to completed. I tried very hard to keep the quality decent while keeping a strong pace.

DWtermies1.thumb.JPG.4fa1ccc43fd959f0250eafb3009343b3.JPG

DWtermies2.thumb.JPG.2247829431a945d7ce80016972350c99.JPG

DWKnights1.thumb.JPG.05d90401dcd5bb1d04df7088e1700e16.JPG

DWKnights2.thumb.JPG.2b7555619831b2f2ff3c3a3bb5f194d1.JPG

DWKnights3.thumb.JPG.b8f6abeeea40e276ffd0437b1dd02d3f.JPG

Those look amazing, Prot! Very well done! I also bought the box - but have only managed to assemble three of the Deathwing Terminators. I am going for a Plasma Cannon on one Squad (for fluff) and probably an Assault Cannon on the other - I will also be putting maces on the Knights - and might add a Brutalis Dreadnought to bring the army up to 1000 points :-)

Again - amazing work! Loving them all!

Thanks very much. I really appreciate the kind words. After what feels like thousands of armies, and a million hours of painting, there is nothing like having your 40K peers appreciate the effort.

Just some thoughts:

- I did go with maces because historically it's all I played, and it felt right at the time. (Plus the box art... wow. Love it. And why isn't there a poster of this instead of the black Warhammer 40,000 sheet inside? Seriously GW give us this little win! It's a great piece of artwork).  As a side note I cut out the box art and used it for inspiration which is why....

- This time my Deathwing went closer to a colder colour, moving away from from what I used to do and taking it up to nearly and 'off white' (Vallejo) at the zenithal peaks.  Just something new. I think both look great, but again I want this to be my last DA army and wanted it a bit unique.

8 hours ago, Master Ciaphas said:

I am going for a Plasma Cannon on one Squad (for fluff) and probably an Assault Cannon on the other - I will also be putting maces on the Knights - and might add a Brutalis Dreadnought to bring the army up to 1000 points :-)

Again - amazing work! Loving them all!

- Oh why have we lost weapons of the dark age? I really don't want to complain, but this is one thing I wish the army just had as a rule. (even something simple like their plasma doesn't overheat or something.) That said the Brutalis is a VERY good fit I've found. I've used him in every game and he's just a beast that can't be overlooked. Plus I struggle mightily against vehicles and he's just a bit of help in that area. I think he's a good choice for Deathwing. (I still haven't decided to paint him Green or bone while.)

13 hours ago, Raychu said:

i love your deathwing assault terminators. such atmosphere. well done!

- Again that artwork just took over for me. I don't like to look at other models when I come up with schemes, usually I look at artwork, and that piece that came with the boxart just inspired the mood and feel of them right up to the lightning heads on the maces. I imagine an explosion of light with every "Smash!" as they glance off the melon of a Black Legion terminator! lol

8 hours ago, FarFromSam said:

Weathering is tough to get right.   Too much and it takes away from the paintjob, too little and why bother.  This a great example of just right.   Nice work,  they're a handsome gang. 

- Thank you. I've gone back and forth so many times on this. Some armies just suite lots of weathering and some just... do not. It's such a personal thing though. Everyone's different but I opted for a mid-to-light level of wear and tear, ending with a light wash of 'dirt' around the feet to ground them on their bases.

8 hours ago, Chaplain Raeven said:

Damn mate, your 'decent' is miles better than my 'try-hard'. They look fantastic!

- Very nice of you to say, but I'm a huge believer in getting models, then squads, then armies done.... The days of me trying to be perfect or labouring over one model are far behind me. I have huge respect for anyone that completes an army.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I pretty much use AK for a lot of the base greens. Deep Green an Dark Green, just lightened a bit for highlighting. 

Thanks for the compliment!

1 hour ago, Tacitus said:

AK?

Yup, you can google it. I believe based in Europe, I have a few stores around me and a few online places I've been ordering their paints from. Their stuff seems very high pigment for me and the new Vallejo line up has disappointed me. 

I’m going to start my Asmodai before long and I’m curious if you painted the trim on the hood or used the new transfers.  I tried using the new transfers for Azrael’s trim on the bottom robe and gave up.  I decided he could do without it.

Edited by crimsondave
Typo

Yes I did use transfers. The thing I did with the head is I just blue tac them on so I can paint them off the body. At this point it becomes very easy to geusstimate the length of transfer you need, and I use a softener agent as well as I apply the decal.

5 hours ago, Prot said:

Yes I did use transfers. The thing I did with the head is I just blue tac them on so I can paint them off the body. At this point it becomes very easy to geusstimate the length of transfer you need, and I use a softener agent as well as I apply the decal.

Thanks.  I can see how that head would be easier.  Azrael’s cloak has many bends and folds I never got the length right.

Thank you. The purple is just a combination of a Vallejo purple and Screamer Pink. I just add more white to the mix on the raised edges.

• 4 weeks later...