Magnetizing Forgefiends?

Greetings,

I’m thinking about starting to learn about magnetizing models, and my upcoming Forgefiend might be a good start, so I can swap weapons and head.

how large would the magnets need to be to hold a Fiend cannon, and am I posting this in the wrong place?

I found a pack of 2mm magnets (1mm thick), could they suffice?

This is a fine place for it, though you might also want to post to General PCA Questions to get the opinion of folks who have done a bunch of magnetizing but who don't play chaos.

Do you want to make it swappable to also be a maulerfiend, or just between the forgefiend options?

Not all magnets are the same strength, so its hard to say if the ones you have in mind would work.  In my mind, they are likely too small/weak for the arms, but would probably work for the head, though it might be knocked off easily.  If you want to magnetize the maulerfiend arms as well, you'll definitely need a bigger magnet due to their size and weight.

I magnetized the arms on my forgefiend (just the gun options), but didn't do a particularly good job of it (my autocannon arms are upside down) so it might not be the best example.

Is this helpful?

Referens: D0201

Grade: N35
Plating: Ni-Cu-Ni ( Nickel )
Material: NdFeB
Performance (Gauss): 1900
Vertical Pull (Kg): 0.09

I will probably settle for just swappable between Forgefiend load outs. 

I have two kits, and I (think I) want one Maulerfiend and one Forge. 

I might magnetizes the tentacles/melta pistols on the Mauler though…

Mostly as a learning experience and training, before I tackle the big ones. 

Get some neodymium or rare earth magnets from an online retailer. They can be tiny and ridiculously strong (even the ones only a few mm diameter). Drill a small hole in part of the figurine, and use gorilla super glue or equivalent to place the magnet. On the other side, either use another magnet or cut a small piece of thin sheet metal (from your local hardware store) and super glue it to that piece. You can cut the sheet metal with tin snips pretty easily and shape with pliers. Will hold your forgefiend together no problemo. 

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about magnets for that information to mean anything to me.

I used 3mm by 2mm magnets for mine, both my forgefield and my maulerfiend (which has swappable tendrils and cutters, just like you plan).  Don't think I would go any smaller than that.

One thing I would do is glue a (or several) cross braces on the inside of the fiend torso to brace the magnets - to avoid the magnet coming loose and falling inside the model, where it will then rattle for all eternity.

• 2 weeks later...

Look forward to seeing your progress on it.

Here is a link to a post regarding my 2nd maulerfiend build, which includes some photos of the magnetization process, most importantly of the internal crosspiece I built in to help make sure the magnets stay in place and don't fall into the model.

That’s some very impressive work! 

Unfortunately I may have to settle for a fixed setup for Maulerfiend #1. It’s already assembled and sprayed, awaiting painting (tentacles are separate, for easier access). 

Gonna need it battle-ready soon, so I opted to assemble quickly and by the book. 

not much to show yet, but pictures will come as it gets some color!