Fresh Meat, Looking for Advice

My D&D group recently added 40k to the games we pretend we're going to have time to play together. I've started with (and am still assembling) a Space Wolves Combat Patrol box and am looking for suggestions for a decent upgrade path to 1000 points on a limited budget. Also, would it be better to build the Reiver squad as Reivers or as Hounds of Morkai? 

Space Wolves are in a slightly tricky spot right now. Some of our bespoke units like Blood Claws are very good indeed but we don't know if they will still be in the new codex. Dark Angels lost some of their "classic" units when their new codex came out so it is possible we will too. Personally I find Reivers quite disappointing so I would be tempted to go for Hounds of Morkai. To be fair, you can run the squad either way once they are built.

To play it safe, it might be best to stick with units that are sure to be staying, which means mostly Primaris units although Wulfen and Thunderwolf Cavalry are probably safe bets too. Your list has plenty of basic infantry but is a bit lacking in melee and anti-tank firepower. For melee there are several good options. Thunderwolf Cavalry are good, to the point that some people run multiple squads and use the Stormlance Detachment rules. Bladeguard Veterans are another good unit and work well with a Character like Ragnar to lead them.

For anti-tank firepower, the 3 best units are Eradicators, Gladiator Lancer or Ballistus Dreadnoughts. If you are happy with using something like eBay, the Ballistus Dreadnought can still be picked up fairly cheaply from people who are splitting the Leviathan box set.

While none of these units look particularly wolfy, getting spare space wolf parts to decorate models is pretty easy. Here are some plain Marine units that I have converted to look more Wolfy.

large.20231008_135638(1).jpg.b0caa7efd56

gallery_82363_15236_99713.jpg

gallery_82363_15236_157203.jpg

If you like a fast and hitty melee army then Stormlance has a lot going for it. Ironically Stormlance works better for Spacewolves than it does for White Scars. The Combat Patrol should work quite well as a basis for that. Your Battlesuit and Reivers can Infiltrate and then the Thunderwolves can quickly move up on Turn 1 to support them. That puts a lot of pressure on the enemy quickly.

Thunderwolves are 90 points per squad of 3 which is not too expensive so I would get 6 and you can experiment with running them as 2 small squads or one big one. Both Harald Deathwolf and Canis Wolfborn make great leaders for TWC (personally I think Harald has the edge but both are good). Alternatively you can make your own custom Wolf Lord or Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Thunderwolf to Lead them. 6 Thunderwolves + a Character to lead them will cost about 265 points. Add this to your Combat Patrol and you have something like this.

85 Harald Deathwolf

90 3 Thunderwolf Calavry

90 3 Thunderwolf Calavry

65 Lieutenant (Wolf Guard Battle Leader)

80 5 Intercessors

80 5 Intercessors

140 Invcitor Battle Suit

90 5 Hounds of Morkai

140 Ballistus Dreadnought

That comes to 860 points which leaves with 140 points to choose something fun that you like.

Thank you for the input, that'll probably be the direction I go. Probably fill out the 140 with wulven and a pack of fenrisian wolves for flavor points. On the note of the ballistus: if I find the extra budget, would either of the named space wolf dreads (assuming no major changes in the codex) be worth picking over it or is there something to the ballistus that puts it over them?

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

While none of these units look particularly wolfy, getting spare space wolf parts to decorate models is pretty easy.

Specially if you buy any SW box (ignoring characters) since they come with lots of spare bits.

You also get very far with just using the SW colours and transfers.

4 hours ago, GodfreyOfB158 said:

would either of the named space wolf dreads (assuming no major changes in the codex) be worth picking over it or is there something to the ballistus that puts it over them?

Both of the named Dreads are very good and are worth considering. My reason in advocating the Ballistus is simply that it provides some solid long-ranged firepower which most of the rest of the list is lacking.

But my list is just an idea. If the custom Space Wolf Dreads float your boat, go for them. Murderfang works particularly well in a Stormlance list if you put him it Tactical Reserve and then bring him on from one of the Neutral board edges. There is a stratagem called WIND-SWIFT EVASION which you can play if the enemy is careless enought to move within 9" of Murderfang in their turn which allows you to move him 6" (straight towards them). If they try and shoot Murderfang can can use his Murder Maker ability to fight in melee as this includes a free 3" pile-in move. It is tricky to pull off and requires you to keep a Command Point spare to trigger the stratagem but your opponent will either have to tiptoe around Murderfang very carefully or risk giving you a free round of melee.

Posted (edited)

Might just take out the invictor for the ballistus and then run murderfang in it's slot because he does sound very fun. Something like this:

++ Army Roster (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [1,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 1. Incursion (1000 Point limit)

Detachment: Stormlance Task Force

Show/Hide Options: Agents of the Imperium are visible, Imperial Knights are visible, Legends are visible, Titans are visible, Unaligned Forces are visible, Unaligned Fortifications are visible

+ Epic Hero +

Murderfang [170pts]

+ Character +

Lieutenant [65pts]
. Pistol, Master-crafted Bolt Rifle & Melee Weapon: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted Bolt Rifle, Master-crafted Power Weapon

Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Thunderwolf [105pts]: Fury of the Storm, Master-crafted Boltgun, Relic weapon, Warlord

+ Battleline +

Intercessor Squad [160pts]: 2x Astartes Grenade Launcher
. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt Rifle
. 9x Intercessors: 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolt Rifle, 9x Close Combat Weapon

+ Infantry +

Hounds of Morkai [90pts]
. 5x Hound of Morkai: 5x Morkai bolt pistol, 5x Morkai combat knife

+ Mounted +

Thunderwolf Cavalry [180pts]
. 6x Thunderwolf w/ plasma pistol: 6x Crushing teeth and claws, 6x Heirloom weapon, 6x Plasma pistol

+ Beast +

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]
. 5x Fenrisian Wolf: 5x Teeth and claws

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]

Fenrisian Wolves [30pts]

+ Vehicle +

Ballistus Dreadnought [140pts]

++ Total: [1,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Edited by GodfreyOfB158

Not bad, just a couple of suggestions.

I think that the Thunderwolves are better with Storm Shields than plasma pistols. A few plasma shots probably won't make a lot of difference but giving the whole squad 4+ Invulnerable saves really increases their durability. Same for the Battle Leader on Thunderwolf.

I would give the Intercessor sergeant a melee weapon if you can (Power Fist or thunder Hammer ideally). And don't forget to give the Intercessors Auxiliary Grenade Launchers. They are free after all. 

On 3/3/2024 at 1:51 PM, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

The advice here is pretty solid, all I have to add is that the space wolf Infantry box specifically is a great source of bits. As is the stormfang kit, though the Storm Fang isn't necessarily a great choice at the moment. 

Yes, the Stormraven is probably a better choice than the StormWolf/StormFang at the moment although the Stormfang can be handy for the sheer number of infantry you can hurl into a fight. The Melta arrays also pack a lot of short-raged firepower. You are right that the amount of decoration it comes with is a boon to modellers, I used the spare parts from mine to wolf-up both a Repulsor and a Ballistus Dreanought while still having plenty of parts for the gunship itself.

Incidentally, the gunship can be magnetised to build either variant if you are bit cunning during construction.

gallery_82363_15236_426537.jpg

gallery_82363_15236_687770.jpg

gallery_82363_15236_123975.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I have absolutely no advice to give, sorry - being in stasis for decades does that to you.. :blush: So I´m picking up some advice too..

But that Dread looks micghty fine, the rest too but man.. And how much just a little bit ofSW-bitz can spice it up, well done!

Good luck with your Wolves Godfrey, Space Wolves always had, always will - have style!