Tyranids and reserved

During the game I didn’t think about it, but my opponent brought a bunch of stuff in from reserves T1, and I thought normally all reserves/deep strikes had to be T2 or later, regular reserves couldn’t come onto the table from the table edge in the enemy DZ.

Is there a special rule or strat that allows gene stealers w/ brood lord to come in from a table edge in the enemy DZ, and is there one that allows a tryrannofex to come in from reserves in the middle of the table?

he never mentioned any of the units having deep strike.

Sounds sus. 25% can be strategic reserves. Anything that has deepstrike is seperate. Tfex i dont believe has a way to do so. Nids have their own version of drop pods but elsewise follow the rules like everyone else. Dome of that is set out in the leviathan mission pack mind so may have been missed/did you agree not to play that?

5 hours ago, Brother Nathan said:

Sounds sus. 25% can be strategic reserves. Anything that has deepstrike is seperate. Tfex i dont believe has a way to do so. Nids have their own version of drop pods but elsewise follow the rules like everyone else. Dome of that is set out in the leviathan mission pack mind so may have been missed/did you agree not to play that?

I were playing a mission pack, he was saying something about a strat before he brought them on, but he was soft spoken and I couldn’t really hear 50% of what he said.

Vanguard Onslaught detachment does have a way of bringing up to 2 Vanguard Invader units or 1 normal Tyranid unit a turn earlier than it currently is:

image.png.d5fde0298b34973a8102e50f82196fda.png

Did they have a Tyranocyte too? (the big tentacle drop pod looking thing)

They played the Genestealers wrong either way if they came in from reserves in your deployment zone. With the above strat they're able to come in from the side board edges or on Turn 2 they'd be able to come in on your edge but, either:

1) They had a Tyranocyte which can deepstrike Turn 1 and the Tyranofex can jump out Turn 1

2) They didn't have a Tyranocyte and the Tyranofex would have had no way of Deepstriking into the Centre of the board

Either way, it's definitely a mistake on their part. Something I do see a lot is the confusion between Reserves rules (like Deepstrike) and Strategic Reserves. I've seen a lot of players assume that putting something into Strategic Reserves from a strategem like the one Vanguard Onslaight has gives that unit Deep Strike:

image.png.5d66fb76a695bce6666cfd56e4255a93.png

Edit: Corrected by Xenith, Tyranofex can't go in a Tyranocyte anymore. They misplayed on both parts then!

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

On 3/2/2024 at 10:22 PM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Is there a special rule or strat that allows gene stealers w/ brood lord to come in from a table edge in the enemy DZ, and is there one that allows a tryrannofex to come in from reserves in the middle of the table?

Normal strategic reserves, with the strat, however that only allows deployment in the oppozing DZ from T2. The tyrannofex is now too big for the tyrannocyte (used to fit in last edition) so there's nothing that can let it deepstrike. 

38 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Normal strategic reserves, with the strat, however that only allows deployment in the oppozing DZ from T2. The tyrannofex is now too big for the tyrannocyte (used to fit in last edition) so there's nothing that can let it deepstrike. 

Ah, right you are about the Tyrannofex, I missed the 12 Wounds bit!

In which case, the opponent misplayed both units here. I'd personally chalk it down to a misunderstanding of the rules like I mentioned above rather than a deliberate thing