Modern/10th Ed Combat Patrols

Quite bizarrely, a friend of mine has won a combat patrol of his choosing in a raffle at his work (as I understand it, it was basically win a £100 *thing* from a store, e.g Next or Currys but you go with your colleague in person and pick the thing together - sounds kinda neat really).

He has a basic understanding of the 40k IP, but no knowledge of how many dice a space marine rolls, that kinda thing, so has asked his 40k mate (yours truly) for advice. Trouble is, for 10th ed, I don't have that knowledge either!

But I do know there are newer combat patrols and older combat patrols, and there is a points and/or financial value to be had - I'm pretty certain the worst value is to be found in the Space Marines and Tyranids ones, given they are populated by easy to find ebay deals due to leviathan (and I think the £125 40k starter edition set includes both combat patrols?), so I've already said to ignore those - but then I got to thinking about 10th eds 'way to play' system and whether or not things like the Ork or Custodes combat patrol will still be current by the time he's built them as their codexes are due soon.

So I suppose I'm asking - which current combat patrols are 'safe' to buy, and of those, which gives the most amount of either points value, financial value or beginner POV value?

Whichever faction he likes most, honestly. If he plans on playing CP I think it's pretty balanced from all reports, though maybe Orks are currently kinda strong? I have a friend who basically never loses with them.

Otherwise I think they'll get a lot more out of the hobby and the box if they get the one that's the faction they are most interested in. Anything else is less important than that.

I also recommend forgoing getting the "best" value, for models they like the look of. I'd say there's more value in models getting used vs. joining a pile of sha....potential. I'd jump on the website with them, search the Combat Patrols and give a them look with giving a brief overview of the factions lore. There will be models and lore your friend is drawn to.

Yeah id avoid the Leviathan ones as they are so common elsewhere, but other than that, go for the models you like. Even if replaced theyll still be legal in combat patrol and the main game anyway and rules are always temporary, unlike your minis so why compromise? 

I would echo others that have said he should just get the one he likes the look of the most. I don’t think any of the combat patrols being currently sold will be invalidated.

However, if you do want some suggestions on value, some of them contain vehicles as well as troops, and do offer much better value, for example the Aeldari combat patrol has six jetbikes and a wraithlord as well as the troops (£161.50 value) and the blood angels one (£147.50 value) has the impulsor which is fifty quid on its own. Both boxes would allow five units to be fielded in total and both would give him a psychic unit to use as well. T’au one is also great at a value of £151.50 but for a first army the models are pretty fiddly so it depends what level of challenge he wants.

I would say the combat patrols from the previous edition have better value than the newer ones are likely to have, so it’s the right time to buy one now before they all change over and become less good value.

Does he have paints and stuff already? If not, another suggestion is to buy the 40K starter set for £65, a paints and tools set for £27.50 and some plastic glue. Then he gets two armies, the rules and the stuff  he needs to work with it. If he likes the models in there of course.

Edited by TheArtilleryman
Corrected the maths

9 hours ago, TheArtilleryman said:

I would echo others that have said he should just get the one he likes the look of the most. I don’t think any of the combat patrols being currently sold will be invalidated.

However, if you do want some suggestions on value, some of them contain vehicles as well as troops, and do offer much better value, for example the Aeldari combat patrol has six jetbikes and a wraithlord as well as the troops (£161.50 value) and the blood angels one (£147.50 value) has the impulsor which is fifty quid on its own. Both boxes would allow five units to be fielded in total and both would give him a psychic unit to use as well. T’au one is also great at a value of £151.50 but for a first army the models are pretty fiddly so it depends what level of challenge he wants.

I would say the combat patrols from the previous edition have better value than the newer ones are likely to have, so it’s the right time to buy one now before they all change over and become less good value.

Does he have paints and stuff already? If not, another suggestion is to buy the 40K starter set for £65, a paints and tools set for £27.50 and some plastic glue. Then he gets two armies, the rules and the stuff  he needs to work with it. If he likes the models in there of course.

One thing I'll add to this is that you can't play combat patrol with the contents of the starter set (if that's the intent) as you'll have to buy the Librarian and Barbagaunts separately.

If it is an option to go to a 3rd party store you might be able to get the ultimate starer edition for around £100 ( 20% discount - e.g. darksphere. May need to check stock ahead of the visit or order online and go in togther to collect if that is an option)

2 full combat patrols, plus terrain, core rules, dice etc.