why do people have to motivate themselves to hobby?

Sometimes you just need to re-organize your active hobby space. I blitzed my hobby area so now all the stuff in my LOS is tings I want to work with. That meant a lot of other wargaming stuff moved/ banished to storage tubs and to non display cupboards. The display cabinets need some more organizing, but its looking a lot better. Attitude improved too, from "Look at this crap." to "I should make time for that." Baby steps. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 3:54 PM, MARK0SIAN said:

I’d second what Marshal Rohr says about not all aspects of the hobby being enjoyable. I have grown to really dislike the actual building of models. Kit bashing stuff is fun but clipping, cleaning and gluing regular dudes or vehicles I just find boring. So if my project or part of it is at the stage where I need to build things I have to motivate myself to do it so I can get onto the bit I do enjoy like painting and playing. 

I can build these days only in limited sessions, or else I get terribly bored/annoyed of it too!

Sometimes I think my time in the hobby is beginning to wind down? Mostly because I don't find building models much fun anymore. It ends up becoming something I have to make myself do (like a job) in order to have it to prime, base coat, possibly use in a game, and at some later point paint? Right now I have 6k of Black Templars, built, primed/based, and some painted. I have everything I need in order to run a variety of Black Templar lists. I've loved them since 2013, and I love them now, especially that I finally have an army of them!  It's the only 40k army/collection I now own, and I really like that fact. BUT ... if GW does a revamp to the Blood Angels the rumors keep suggesting, I WILL get a new Blood Angel collection! No more 10-12k collections though (previously sold 10k of DA, and 12k of BA), 3-4k of Blood Angels and I'm done! I cannot stand to build any more of anything!

It's like "Oh [bleep] not again?" ... just don't have it in me anymore. 

Edited by Helias_Tancred

10 hours ago, Helias_Tancred said:

No more 10-12k collections though (previously sold 10k of DA, and 12k of BA), 3-4k of Blood Angels and I'm done!

This made me chuckle. I’ve also gone off large collections somewhat, but in my case I just have 1k each of Grey Knights and T’au, two armies I am happy to consider finished at that size (mainly because I chose paint jobs that are far too time-consuming).

My Raven Guard are currently small but are soon going to be much larger with the addition of all the HH stuff I’ve got on the way. I’ve never had a collection anywhere near 12k though and right now my guard are my biggest force at about 2.3k.

Edited by TheArtilleryman

My lack of motivation used to be because I hated painting; while it still is my least favorite part of the hobby (I love playing and modeling much more), I have now got a process that makes it if not fun, then at least less annoying. My main problem was getting extremely burnt out painting the main color of an army via brush, I would paint some twenty to thirty models with just their base armorr/skin/whatever color and then just give up because I was so tired of it. Got an airbrush and that disappeared as it allows me to stop the most tedious part of the painting process (for me) and then I just can work on secondary colors/details/washing to my leisure. 

Having a monthly goal (via something like Grot's 12 Months of Hobby), working on only a set number of models at a time (usually a 5-10 man unit), and putting in "break" models/projects (unrelated to an army paint, usually a single-off model or something not related to the current project), have all helped me both up my production of painted models and enjoy the hobby more. I prefer to play with painted models so this has been a way to get my hobby to a more enjoyable level.

I think everybody has something about the hobby that lessens their enjoyment- it is all about finding ways to deal with that and keep your motivation strong even when you aren't having the best of times. 

7 hours ago, TheArtilleryman said:

This made me chuckle. I’ve also gone off large collections somewhat, but in my case I just have 1k each of Grey Knights and T’au, two armies I am happy to consider finished at that size (mainly because I chose paint jobs that are far too time-consuming).

My Raven Guard are currently small but are soon going to be much larger with the addition of all the HH stuff I’ve got on the way. I’ve never had a collection anywhere near 12k though and right now my guard are my biggest force at about 2.3k.

I've always liked the Grey Knights too! Love their lore and their role in the genre. If they get (the small) but needed resculpts that the line needs, I'd consider doing the same thing you did! 1k collection to play and have fun with! Raven Guard is one of my favorite chapters too, given that Corax is one of my favorite primarchs. Like the Black Templars, a chapter I've always loved but never collected or played.

Okay, so maybe a 6k Black Templar collection, 3-4k of Blood Angels, 1k Grey Knights, and 1k Raven Guard? ... I've also always loved the Crimson Fists too! I actually had about 3k of them back in 7th edition for a year or so? I enjoyed playing them back then.

But regardless I have to keep it very small, I'm just perma burnt out on building 40k models, or any GW models to be honest?

23 hours ago, Helias_Tancred said:

No more 10-12k collections though (previously sold 10k of DA, and 12k of BA), 3-4k of Blood Angels and I'm done! I cannot stand to build any more of anything!

I have found my key to success here is this philosophy too. Aside from Orks (because they'z da best) and my 30K Luna Wolves, I stop at 2.5-3k.

Has got me up to 15 armies (16 if ogres WHFB counts too) and kept me sane (and shelf space not overwhelmed)

I just realised what a lot of people are saying here- the connection of the ever collection vs one and done projects with satisfaction. Heresy I know but instead of 12k+ pts of a mono legion/ chapter we might be better off with several one and done armies instead? *

(Angry Perty noises from the cabinet.) 

30 minutes ago, MegaVolt87 said:

I just realised what a lot of people are saying here- the connection of the ever collection vs one and done projects with satisfaction. Heresy I know but instead of 12k+ pts of a mono legion/ chapter we might be better off with several one and done armies instead? *

(Angry Perty noises from the cabinet.) 

Basically yeah. I having been doing this since 1996 (ouch) think I get bored these days with having huge armies, because after a while I get that “been there, done that” feeling. Most games aren’t going to be more than 2k points anyway.

Having a couple of smaller projects lets you scratch the itch of wanting something new, without getting caught up in the mad planning and ending up with tons. I’m still toying with the idea of building two armies from the heresy stuff instead of one so that my son and I can play some games.

I'm in the forever collection camp. I simply assemble Ultramarines in my internal headcanon where primaris marines aren't a thing, with a few cool primaris models Firstbornified and as much OOP oldschool stuff as possible, whther that's FW stuff or the old 2nd/3rd Ed plastics.